interestedpen

Should I sell my Sandcrawler now or later?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Okay, so I have the old lego sandcrawler, and I'm going to sell it sometime. I've noticed the price of it on ebay going up since I got it, but recently I saw a new sandcrawler on cuusoo, which is doing very well. So my question is, if a new one is released, do you think the value of the old one will go down?

Good question, and I think that it's anyone's guess!

However, I think that this will depend on how similar any replacement will be to 10144. If it's a similar size (1,800 - 2,200 parts) then I'd expect the price to nose-dive, but if it's more 'UCS' orientated, then it's possbile that it would have less of an impact as they wouldn't be in direct 'competition' with each other.

The old version is nice (I've owned two!) but it's starting to look a little out-dated. I've been expecting Lego to release a new one for a couple of years & Marshal's could be the catalyst. I'd love them to make a RC 5,000 part version :wub: :wub: :wub: but I guess that it will be nearer 3,000.

Although it's reached the 'Review' stage I doubt that it will be in production for a while yet (assuming it gets approval) as it's under the 'Next Review' stage (link here) so you should have a while yet.

In future it's probably best to use the SW Q&A thread for similar questions (link here) rather than starting a new one :classic:

Personally, I would rather pay €300 for a brand new UCS one, than €200+ for a 'used', less detailed model.

If you like the price they are now, I'd just sell it. I would expect prices to drop if they come out with a new model.

I don't think the cuusoo one will ever make it to retail......its way to big, I have no doubt that another one will be made but not one as large as the Cuusoo, remember just because it gets the required number of votes doesnt mean it will be produced. If the sand crawler in any of the new star wars movies the value will go up. You can sell it now and still make a large profit depending on what you paid for it and the condition

And yes the price will drop when and if they come out with a new one but trends show it will go back up evetually

I am of the opinion that the cuusoo sandcrawler will, if it ever is released, take a few more years to be on retail.

Hold onto what you have unless you really want to sell

If it's for investment purposes, it's good to have an idea how much you are willing to let it go for. IMO, the sandcrawler on cusoo would not make it since it's licensed. If for whatever reason you find that the market price isn't right for you, I am sure you will be a proud owner of a SW sandcrawler! :)

Its very likely that lego will release new version next year (either that or mtt) so If I were you I would sell it now.

Thanks, I'll probably sell it soon, but I'm thinking the new one (if it will be made at all) mightn't be released until this new star wars movie comes out...

The new movies come out in about 2-3 years, and my guess is that if the sand crawler passes the Cuusoo review, it'll be out in only about a year.

My guess is that it won't pass the review, however.

This set has been retired a fair while now, if cashing in on max. profit theres no worst time to do it, prices are as peak as they ever will be, personally the UCS crawler is my grail, i would never sell mine

I watch alot of Star Wars collectibles, even some from outside Lego, and I would sell now. I know people have mentioned the possibility of a new movie bumping up the value, but even if a Sandcrawler was shown in that movie, it wouldn't be a big enough deal that people would suddenly go Sandcrawler crazy. Plus, if there is another Sandcrawler released, the classic one will go down in value, as the only people interested in it will be collectors.

The best time to sell it would actually be right around now or a couple weeks ago - during the holidays. People always spend a bit more these days due to the holiday craze. In fact, there's even a thread in the general section here about someone who is getting more than they anticipated selling a Minecraft set on Ebay and that's mostly due to the fact that people spend big to get that perfect holiday gift.

I don't think the cuusoo one will ever make it to retail......its way to big, I have no doubt that another one will be made but not one as large as the Cuusoo,

Cuusoo clearly it state that they can modify a successful project to make it more marketable.

The Cuusoo Sandcrawler is ~5K pieces which includes detailed and functional interiors and lights. It's wouldn't take much to reduce it to a 3,000 piece project without changing the overall exterior design by much.

Therefore, I think there's a fairly good chance it will be made.

My advice is not to sell the original one.

It will retain its current value (and possibly even higher) up until a month or two before the new is released. Not all Lego consumers have perfect information about upcoming projects.

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

Speaking from experience here I would say keep it. I regret selling my entire SW collection and wish I still it all. I dont often frequent this part of the forum as it makes me think of what I used to have however today i'm glad I did as ive seen a new Sail Barge is on the way! Selling the original was a huge mistake so keep hold of that Sandcrawler and enjoy it!

Edited by charlieboy

Honestly I would sell it now. I actually have one myself that I'm planning on selling. The price is already pretty darn high and I kind of doubt that it could really get much higher. At this point if you wait then the price could potentially go down and you'd have missed your opportunity. Take advantage of your good opportunity while you know that you still have it.