Sign in to follow this  
DanSto

MOC : Architecture-like OneWTC and 9/11 Memorial

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

This MOC is mainly based on virtual pictures because the OneWTC tower is still under construction (the top has been reached) and the 9/11 Memorial is near completion.

Two virtual pictures which have inspired the MOC :

2007_09_wtc2.jpg

11_memorial_museum_s180210_sdl1.jpg

The final MOC will be a mixture of both virtual images.

The 9/11 Memorial does not present any major difficulty : the two fontains are made with black tiles and explain the relative thick base.

The OneWTC tower is more challenging because of the straight lines running from the corners of the square base to the corners of the 45 degrees rotated square top :

freedom_tower_4.jpg

The construction is inspired by the one of set 21001

21001-1.jpg

where similar lines are represented by small steps.

Some pictures of the MOC

1WTC_13.JPG

Close view of the Memorial

1WTC_10.JPG

1WTC_9.JPG

Any comments are welcome.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

That's very good at that scale, and pretty impressive when you look at the crazy angles on the real thing. I can't really see how you could do it much better. Great job!

That looks awesome. Somehow those trans green round studs look exactly like trees at that scale! Brilliantly done. I could easily see this as an official set.

This is really awesome! I like the usage of the steering wheel part on the top of the building! :thumbup:

Stunning moc "dansanto" looks very close to the real thing, the memorial looks fantastic and spot on.

Thanks. Please, could you explain what "dansanto" means :sceptic: ?

Second version of the black base in order to make it more Architecture-like.

IWTC_V2_2.JPG

Close view of the base

base_v2.JPG

Top view of the whole MOC

vue_de_haut_V2.JPG

The base is made of two level of plates and one level of tiles : it is empty in order to include the main part of the MOC and the two parts (tilted by 14 degrees) are assembled using some 3x2 3176.gif plates underneath

dessous_V2.JPG

Maybe should I send it on Cuusoo ?

OK tomdobs55, no problem : I was looking for a hidden message or a joke about my pseudo :wink: .

I think I will put it on Cuusoo and I will let you know.

This is really awesome! I like the usage of the steering wheel part on the top of the building! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot. For the steering wheel, I used an antenna and a 1x1 round brick inserted into the last part of the tower to have the possibility to put it exactly on top as shown by this pictures showing some details of the building :

1WTC_7.JPG

I have submitted this MOC as a Cuusoo project but it was rejected "due to the potential political connotations of a 9/11 memorial project".

For me, the destruction of the tower was a political act but the memorial is clearly apolitical and is a tribute to the victims.

So, end of this story.

On that special day, I have edited a not shown previously picture of the 9/11 memorial MOC with a backgroud featuring the waterfall into the fontains.

9714980153_6512248921_c.jpg

It's sad that if it hits 10K, the review process will likely say that the subject is too politically charged to develop into a real CUUSOO kit. It is a fantastic MOC, though.