Sign in to follow this  
Modulex Guy

MOC: Hidamari Apartments from "Hidamari Sketch!"

indexed.gif B-RV-15E

Hey all, I'd like to share my Latest MOC of the Hidamari apartment building from the popular Anime series "Hidamari Sketch!"

It is an almost exact replica from the series, everything down to the colors and even the electric boxes are built.

8235123175_7cbdbe1699_z.jpg

Hidamari Apartments by ChrisR18t, on Flickr

Here you can get a glimpse of the building in the background:

hidamari%20sketch%20yuno%20miyako%201349x948%20wallpaper_www.artwallpaperhi.com_79.jpg

It was actually rather tough to model because the building changes in slight variations in color and details per episode. I focused on the details and colors that appeared the most throughout the series.

8235123689_7ddf224615_z.jpg

Another screenshot to show the colors of the doors, note that there are no electrical boxes like my MOC, but in many other shots in the anime, they are there.

hidamari1_5.jpg

The big variance that occurs in the anime is the colors of the back windows, in many shots the colors of the frames are dark blue for all the windows, while other times they were matching colors to the front doors, I went with the colorful option as it gives the building a more "pretty" look to it.

8235124175_0015ca3d13_z.jpg

impact.jpg

8236189440_bab61feb32_z.jpg

I also put in some lightly detailed interiors so you can at least see there is something on the inside versus just a hollow shell.

8235125887_6ecdfc4550_z.jpg

I have some more pics on my Flickr, comments welcome! :blush:

Nice work! I like the colours and roof. Reminds me of the Minecraft roofs (If you play!) I have never watched the series but as a building it looks great! I will have to ask my friend who loves anime if she recognises it!

-DL824

Excellent designing there 'Poilsh Guy'.....you could almost use that building for the Friend's range eh ? :grin:

Any interiors being planned ? :wink:

Brick On 'Polish Guy' ! :grin:

Me being a Polish guy from Australia who up until last year lived in Tokyo for 8 years, and dont watch japanese cartoons... i have to say this is pretty awesome for the fact that my fourth and last apartment in Tokyo looked almost like this minus the multi coloured doors and orange roof and an extra 4 rooms wider.

How many pieces in all?

Edited by funkdis

It looks really good - and very close to the sourceI I like the fact that you've used a whole bunch of 1 x 2 bricks to make the walls rather than larger bricks or panels as it definitely gives it a concrete block feel to it.

Thanks for sharing!

Nice work! I like the colours and roof. Reminds me of the Minecraft roofs (If you play!) I have never watched the series but as a building it looks great! I will have to ask my friend who loves anime if she recognises it!

-DL824

Like how everyone in MC builds flat roofs, yea, it kinda looks like something that can be made in minecraft.

Excellent designing there 'Poilsh Guy'.....you could almost use that building for the Friend's range eh ? :grin:

Any interiors being planned ? :wink:

Brick On 'Polish Guy' ! :grin:

I have a few minor details on the inside already, since this is a building that is part of a larger city display, there is no need for more since it might not be seen.

WOW! I love Hidamari and I love anime ...great transposition! :wub:

Thanks! :wink:

Me being a Polish guy from Australia who up until last year lived in Tokyo for 8 years, and dont watch japanese cartoons... i have to say this is pretty awesome for the fact that my fourth and last apartment in Tokyo looked almost like this minus the multi coloured doors and orange roof and an extra 4 rooms wider.

How many pieces in all?

Yep, from all the pictures of real buildings I've seen, this looks close to them all with the exception of the colors.

And I have no idea of how many pieces are in it, all I can tell you is that the walls are all 1x2 white bricks and the whole roof is 1x2 orange slopes.

It looks really good - and very close to the sourceI I like the fact that you've used a whole bunch of 1 x 2 bricks to make the walls rather than larger bricks or panels as it definitely gives it a concrete block feel to it.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks again! It pays to have a Pick a Brick wall close to home, all my buildings are made with 1x2s or 1x3s to give it a "bricky" look.

It looks like my post from yesterday went missing, but I love this! It looks just like the cartoon!

Edited by Mr Copperhead

I don't know this anime but I absolutely love the building. It's so simple but it looks so great thanks to all the different colors of the door, even the orange roof looks so nice. I especially like the look of the colourful window frames.

Fantastic! I really enjoyed watching the series (I haven't got around to the latest one though...really should find some time for that)...heck, I dig anything that Akiyuki Shinbo's worked on. There's something really relaxing and calming about sitting back and watching an episode of Hidasketch after a long day!

You seem to have the scale right, assuming you're working to minifigs. It's just so...instantly recognisable. I think that's the simplest way of giving my personal approval. Right from the first photo I thought, "yep...I know exactly what that is."

I can see the challenges that were involved...there are a lot of clean lines and interesting bits of geometry going on in Shinbo's directing style that lend themselves well to Lego building, but at the same time it's a very stylised and 'simple' aesthetic so doesn't always give much background detail to go on when you're trying to make a model of it.

Do you have any photos of the interiors of the rooms BTW?

I'm not familiar with the series, but the building looks lovely. The colours are what stands out the most, and it's pretty accurate to the cartoon. I think you did a great job with it. Also, making walls with 1x2 gives a great effect. :thumbup:

You seem to have the scale right, assuming you're working to minifigs. It's just so...instantly recognisable. I think that's the simplest way of giving my personal approval. Right from the first photo I thought, "yep...I know exactly what that is."

Do you have any photos of the interiors of the rooms BTW?

No pics of the interior because its really bland and not meant to be opened, but I'm planning on eventually modeling the rooms like the show too.

And yes, its built to minifig scale since it is going in my city display where it will be on display this weekend at our NILTC show at Cantigny in Wheaton.

That fits in really well. I've been thinking about how to do MOCs of modern Japanese architecture - private houses and such, like you'd see in a small town or city suburb - instead of high-rises and old-fashioned 'classical' styles...they're 'modular' by nature but I was worried that they'd look too plain and dull if I did try it in Lego. Thanks for showing that it is indeed possible!

Edited by Martin_B