just2good

Cuusoo Space Marines project has reached 10K supporters!

As much as I love this proposal, I feel it has an uphill battle to actually getting produced. For one, it's primarily a theme proposal. It's not impossible for Cuusoo to result in a full theme, but it hasn't happened yet, and the staff have explained that Cuusoo is currently only equipped to produce individual SKUs. Also, while the creator has tried to assure supporters that it would not conflict with the Galaxy Squad theme, I can't help but think that this would have had a much greater chance of success if it had been produced this year, when there were no space themes for it to compete with. Of course, the slow pace of the approval process could very well mean that Galaxy Squad could be over and done with by the time this is approved, but I wouldn't bank on it considering that Galaxy Squad is looking less and less like a one-wave theme.

Still, I wish it luck in the approval process. Of all the non-licensed theme proposals I've seen, this one is the most polished as well as one of the ones I feel is most consistent with Lego's aesthetic and brand identity. And if this is successful, it would open the door to all sorts of theme proposals through Cuusoo.

Fantastic! I really hope LEGO produces this theme or at least a set that features some of the proposed elements. I had hoped that the new SciFi theme for 2013 would be something like this, but I was kind of disappointed when I saw the box art. The Cuusoo Marines have great style, the proposed sets look cool and are at the same time not overly complicated and the theme is not too violent while reminding me of several "serious" SciFi franchises. I'd buy those sets in an instant. I already stockpiled tons of the Space Marines from the seventh Minifigures series because I thought they would make a great army for a cool MOC but the Cuusoo Marines would be even better in my eyes.

Edited by Speedboat

Congrats to the Space Marines crew for getting through the final few hundred supporters!

Unfortunately, the review phase of Cuusoo seems to be pretty slow going. So I won't be checking my watch for these anytime soon!

Wonderful news and these look so much better than the Galaxy Squad sets. I do wonder though if TLG will feel they conflict too much with that line and hence not make them? I don't think that is definately the case and even so they would make one ever so good set or two that could easily be written into the Galaxy Squad line up given the different colours already in the mix. One thing I really am hoping for but think is a bit too far for them to go is to make those four legged aliens. A part with four legs and torso to fit onto it would open up so many avenues. Just think how much better the Galaxy Squad bugs would have been with the correct number of limbs!

Congrats, however how do you expect TLG to put space marines and the new galaxy patrol theme running at the same time?

Seriously? The words "space marines" are copyrighted? Sheesh, first Apple patents the rectangle, now this... :hmpf_bad:

Seriously? The words "space marines" are copyrighted? Sheesh, first Apple patents the rectangle, now this... :hmpf_bad:

Its not copyrighted, its trademarked by Games Workshop (who trademarked it for their line of Warhammer 40000 Space Marine models). And their trade-mark objections are perfectly legitimate IMO (for much the same reason why it would be legitimate for LEGO to object if Games Workshop decided to start selling a new line of Warhammer figurines and called them "Galaxy Squad" or "Kingdoms")

In any case I am sure the guy who submitted it to Cuusoo will think of an awesome name that isn't trademarked by someone else and the project will move forward to the review phase.

Congrats, however how do you expect TLG to put space marines and the new galaxy patrol theme running at the same time?

They're not. I expect them to say "Sorry, but unfortunately we already have a similar theme currently in production"

They're not. I expect them to say "Sorry, but unfortunately we already have a similar theme currently in production"

Remember, Cuusoo is all about single set ideas, not theme ideas. One-off sets can be released with a regular themed themes, like the two Factory Space sets released in 2008, which came out with new Mars Mission sets still coming out.

I think he should rename them either Solar Marines or Solar Brigade...

Great names! TLG can even do Galaxy Marines, to coincide with Galaxy Squad. :sweet: