Sign in to follow this  
sgtbernalcl25

Do you think Lego will make a LOTR Chess Set?

Hey guys has this been speculated at all? What would be the best two general armies involved in this set? Gondor Soldiers/Orcs..... Rohan Soldiers/Uruk hai... Elves/Orcs??

I personally want some awesome Elves from Helms Deep battle.... with helms and ear peices.... with some Uruk hai's... but thats just me..

Edited by WhiteFang
Update the topic title for greater clarity

Awwww, man. You got me all excited. Has there ever been a licensed chess set?

Don't know about licensed themes, but the only lego chess I've seen was that Kingdoms one.

I bought the Viking Chess Set off of eBay last month. I have not heard of a licensed chess set and I believe that is due to the license. LEGO has the construction toy license, not the action figure or chess set license. There has to be a substantial amount of building to go with the sets to justify the license. Hence, all the polybags and the Star Wars advent calendar have stuff to build.

I thought that they were making an actual LOTR chess set when I first read the title of this thread. :blush: It'd be awesome if they did make a chess set, but for some reason I don't really see them doing so. If they did though, I don't think it would be an army builder. It would probably have main characters like Gandalf and Frodo instead of armies of elves or uruk-hai.

I have change the topic title to reflect greater clarity in this discussion as the original topic title is misleading and suggestive that there will be a LOTR chess set.

Though I really want a Lego LOTR chess set (maybe elves as pawns :) ), I don't think lego will make one.

I doubt such a set will be built, but if they do, I think Aragorn would be the Free Peoples King and Arwen the queen. Gandalf and Boromir would be a Bishop, Merry and Pippen would be Knights, Frodo and Sam would be Rooks. The pawns would alternate between Gondor and Rohan soldiers.

Sarumon or the Mouth of Sauron would be the King for the Forces of Evil. Wormtongue would be a Bishop and Golum a Knight. The pawns would alternate between Uruk Hai and Orcs.

I doubt such a set will be built, but if they do, I think Aragorn would be the Free Peoples King and Arwen the queen. Gandalf and Boromir would be a Bishop, Merry and Pippen would be Knights, Frodo and Sam would be Rooks. The pawns would alternate between Gondor and Rohan soldiers.

Sarumon or the Mouth of Sauron would be the King for the Forces of Evil. Wormtongue would be a Bishop and Golum a Knight. The pawns would alternate between Uruk Hai and Orcs.

You should MOC one and show us!

I have not heard of a licensed chess set and I believe that is due to the license. LEGO has the construction toy license, not the action figure or chess set license. There has to be a substantial amount of building to go with the sets to justify the license. Hence, all the polybags and the Star Wars advent calendar have stuff to build.

This pretty much nails it on the head. I am not exactly sure how a game license would work, but I know Lego can't offer strictly minifigure packs without some building pieces. Just minifigures would be considered an action figure toy and Lego only has the rights for the construction license.

You should MOC one and show us!

Someone made a pretty good one several weeks ago. Personally I would LOVE to see a LotR/Hobbit chess set, no matter how unlikely it may be. It would be a great way to army build and also get the entire Fellowship without having to buy all the other sets (another reason Lego will prolly never make one besides the licensing issues). I think the most likely choices if a dream LotR set were ever made are as follows:

Sauron and Saruman as the King/Queen for the dark side

Lurtz/Womrtongue as the Bishops

Nazgul on horses as Knights

Orthanc and Barad-dûr as the Rooks

Mordor Orcs as the Pawns

Aragorn and Gandalf as the King/Queen for the light side

Frodo and Sam as the Bishops

Gimli and Legolas as the Knights

Treebeard and another Ent with Pippin and Merry on their shoulders as the Rooks (GREAT idea other guy use in his chess MOC)

Gondor Soldiers as the Pawns

I would go with:

Forces of Good: Aragorn (King), Arwen (Queen), Gimli and Legolas (Knights), Gandalf and Elrond (Bishops), Boromir and Faramir (Rooks), and Gondor and Rohan soldiers (Pawns)

Forces of Evil: Sauron (King), Witch King (Queen), Lurtz and Gothmog (Knights), Saruman and Wormtongue (Bishops), Ringwraiths (Rooks), and Uruk-Hai and Mordor Orcs (Pawns)

I would go with:

Forces of Good: Aragorn (King), Arwen (Queen), Gimli and Legolas (Knights), Gandalf and Elrond (Bishops), Boromir and Faramir (Rooks), and Gondor and Rohan soldiers (Pawns)

Forces of Evil: Sauron (King), Witch King (Queen), Lurtz and Gothmog (Knights), Saruman and Wormtongue (Bishops), Ringwraiths (Rooks), and Uruk-Hai and Mordor Orcs (Pawns)

Excellent choices. I'd like to include a representative of Rohan (either King Theoden or Eomer) which would have to come at the expense of one of Denethor's sons or Elrond.