skyhawk

Tomorrow (Black Friday), Toys R' Us has 40% all lego

As technic tends to run more expensive, this would be a good way to collect parts, or get one of the big sets. (gonna try to snag me a unimog)

I assume you're talking about in the USA; it would seem that it's not as simple as 40% off; it's buy 1 (at full price), get 1 at 40% off, presumably the cheaper of the two.

Here in the UK, they had a 3-for-2 deal last week. I got a pretty good deal; I bought the "Lego City Police Value Pack (66428)" and "Dino Defence (5887)" for £79.99 each as the big christmas presents for my boys, and got a 9396 helicopter for myself for free (normally £69.99). Becasue I bought them in store and spent over £100, I also got £10 credit on a loyalty card (which I've sinced used), so effectively I got all three for £150, which isn't to be scoffed at.

One thing that shat me a bit though; if you bought 6 things in one transaction, the till didn't divvy them up into sensible groups of 3 and give you the cheapest of each group of 3 free, it'd just give you whatever 2 were the cheapest. So if you bought three £100 sets and three £2 minifigs, they'd charge £302 and give you two free minifigs, while if you bought them in two transactions you'd only pay £204. Which is rather rude, if you ask me.

Edited by Hopey

Sorry, yes, in the US, and it is 40% of all lego.

And I'm wrong, it's tonight

2hQPFh.jpg

Edited by skyhawk

I have a TRU 2 miles from me. I'm very very tempted to get a couple of big sets, but money's really tight right now, so I may have to pass.

Yeah, if you like heavy traffic; long, long lines; and tons of shoppers. I know everybody opens early today, I've seen lines of people in front of stores at 4am or earlier waiting to get in first. Would imagine that a good deal of the Lego stock is already gone or close to it by now. Being a guy, I'll pass on black Friday, its just nuts, but hey lots of people love the craziness of today and all the way until Christmas eve. Usually if I go TRU between black Friday and Christmas eve, I go late since usually store hours are extended between now and then. It is a good deal nevertheless, but I'm guessing, haven't looked, that TRU's website has the same offer, don't know though.

Sorry, yes, in the US, and it is 40% of all lego.

And I'm wrong, it's tonight

Im not American, so perhaps not so familiar with the US retail climate but I read that catalogue as "sets on this page are 40% off". 3 reasons why I'm assuming that.

1) 40% is simply too larger discount. $90 dollar modulars? Would they really do that? It's unheard of here, but I know you guys do get way better deals.

2) Every set listed on that page has been overstocked or selling poorly.

3) Toys R Us are fast becoming notorious for misleading "deals" and "sales". From any other retailer I would take the 40% off lego at face value, but I've been burnt before at TRU online.

Still hoping Im wrong. Im also assuming this is instore only? Saw nothing about it on the website.

Just to clarify - it's 40% off all those Lego in the photo above. Not 40% off all Legos that TRU carries. Plus, the important thing to remember is that TRU inflates their prices and then applies the sale. Hogwarts is shown above, now that's a $50 set marked down to $42 - which if you do the math, is not 40%.

The only decent sale in that photo is the Space Center.

I was there last night hoping there would be unadvertised sales like last year, but there was nothing. And 40% off of a TRU mark up isn't really a big savings. I guess I got spoiled from last year- they even had the new CITY 2012 sets. In general, this year's Black Friday sales were underwhelming. Either I've become too greedy or retailers have become too stingy.

Im not American, so perhaps not so familiar with the US retail climate but I read that catalogue as "sets on this page are 40% off". 3 reasons why I'm assuming that.

1) 40% is simply too larger discount. $90 dollar modulars? Would they really do that? It's unheard of here, but I know you guys do get way better deals.

2) Every set listed on that page has been overstocked or selling poorly.

3) Toys R Us are fast becoming notorious for misleading "deals" and "sales". From any other retailer I would take the 40% off lego at face value, but I've been burnt before at TRU online.

Still hoping Im wrong. Im also assuming this is instore only? Saw nothing about it on the website.

@Nintendawg - TRU tends to mark up most all Lego themes both in-store and online in the USA. And, yeah the 2H2012 sets have sold poorly in-store here, surprising since usually the summer models go fast, especially the 9398 Crawler and 9396 Helicopter, even the 9393 Tractor. Usually at least in my neck of the woods, our TRU stores tend to get 1H and 2H Technic models in, but once they are sold out, they rarely reappear in store. I would imagine that with this sale most land-based stores will sell out with this sale and before Christmas and never be seen again, except for maybe once in a while they will pop up. I've seen lots of 8070 Supercars this summer and that set was released March 2011, even the RC Bulldozer reappeared. I would expect to see the 1H2013 models come in about mid-Dec, they usually do right before Christmas. I haven't really even kept up with what's being released, we got some good ones 1H2012, its usually just smaller sets only until summer again.

I was there last night hoping there would be unadvertised sales like last year, but there was nothing. And 40% off of a TRU mark up isn't really a big savings. I guess I got spoiled from last year- they even had the new CITY 2012 sets. In general, this year's Black Friday sales were underwhelming. Either I've become too greedy or retailers have become too stingy.

@Galaxy Explorer -

With TRU usually they end up going for buy 2 get third 50% off, or some variation of that, sometimes BOGO 50% off. Kind of crappy really. Like say you wanted 2 big sets, then you want a smaller one, and you only get 50% off that third set, which hardly brings your total down much at all.

I have a TRU 2 miles from me. I'm very very tempted to get a couple of big sets, but money's really tight right now, so I may have to pass.

@FuzzyBallz - I didn't see this flyer, but I wonder if it includes all Lego or just certain listed sets. From past experience being on their Rewards program I have seen just certain themes or sets involved, sometimes Technic (which I'm into) isn't even included since it doesn't seem to be a hot seller in my area.

I noticed this topic was moved from Technic/Mindstorms forum where it was this morning(USA), I figured it probably would be, but was nice a moderator included a link to it.

@Nintendawg - TRU tends to mark up most all Lego themes both in-store and online in the USA. And, yeah the 2H2012 sets have sold poorly in-store here, surprising since usually the summer models go fast, especially the 9398 Crawler and 9396 Helicopter, even the 9393 Tractor. Usually at least in my neck of the woods, our TRU stores tend to get 1H and 2H Technic models in, but once they are sold out, they rarely reappear in store. I would imagine that with this sale most land-based stores will sell out with this sale and before Christmas and never be seen again, except for maybe once in a while they will pop up. I've seen lots of 8070 Supercars this summer and that set was released March 2011, even the RC Bulldozer reappeared.

Yes, posters here often mention the inflated RRP's @ TRU. Before buying any set I check shop@home Australia, then shop@home USA and finally TRU. But the Australian RRP's are so ludicrous that TRU's bumped up RRP + postage is still cheaper!

@FuzzyBallz - I didn't see this flyer, but I wonder if it includes all Lego or just certain listed sets. From past experience being on their Rewards program I have seen just certain themes or sets involved, sometimes Technic (which I'm into) isn't even included since it doesn't seem to be a hot seller in my area.

Skyhawk uploaded the image. It's in the 2nd reply.

TRU usually has "Buy one, get one 50%" or "Buy two, get one free" so basically you're saving around 25% either way. When you check out, always give them two similarly priced sets first so you get the proper discount. They should know to do that- It's not right paying $150 for Helm's Deep and getting Gandalff Arrives for eight bucks when you're also buying a Jabba's Palace.