Murdoch17

LDD MOC: Winter Village Snowplow Rail Truck

I have created this MOD of the Winter Village Cottage Snowplow truck. Instead of tires, I have installed railroad wheels. Enjoy!

8201511888_8fa71a7d69.jpg

front view

8201511836_91afcb6f14.jpg

rear view (I added the tail-lights and liscense plate, along with new axels for the flanged wheels.)

8201540610_218c1406c0.jpg

The nearest one is my streetcar company, the yellow is MOW, Red & black is my railway, and the dark blue / tan is the original.

LXF for all the trucks: http://www.mocpages.com/user_images/80135/1353594179m.lxf

Questions, comments, and critics are welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Looks great! Is it much of a mod (besides the cool wheels you've added, of course)? The cottage isn't a part of my collection yet so I'm not so familiar with the truck. I got the first three in the Winter Village series but the snow is a little heavy on the roof for my taste so I'm still on the fence about it. Nonetheless, I'd like to have the file, thanks.

Edited by bjtpro

@bjtpro: Yes, it's more of a mod. If you want the file, I uploaded it now. Enjoy!

@Frank STENGEL & Harnbak: Thanks for the comments!

At first glance it looks good but...

From a practical stand point I don't like it as a rail vehicle.

First, when road vehicles are modified to run on rails it's generally done by adding rail wheels that lower/raise. I know there was at least one exception where a bus or box truck was modified to work as a rail vehicle and there are probably more examples but it really is impractical.

Second, I just don't see this being practical as a snow removal tool for a rail line. If the snow is light enough for this to push it then a locomotive would have no difficulty just heaving through. If the snow is heavy enough to hinder a locomotive then this little guy ain't moving it.

Don't get me wrong, its a neat concept just not practical.

I just don't see this being practical as a snow removal tool for a rail line. If the snow is light enough for this to push it then a locomotive would have no difficulty just heaving through. If the snow is heavy enough to hinder a locomotive then this little guy ain't moving it.

I kinda agree with kyphur. I have yet to order this set but I have thought to do the same as you did Murdoch17 but I could see it maintaining downdown trolley or street car lines up here in the northwest!

I like it. Rail converted trucks were often used on the timber industry tramways here in New Zealand, - but without snowplows I hasten to add. They were mostly used to carry tools and as transport for workmen. I might use your MOC idea as a basis for a rail truck for my own layout so thank you for sharing :sweet: