martin1965

Recommend me a great pneumatic set :)

Having come from the dark ages from a long long time, my interest in Lego Technic is really growing on me :classic:

Over the last year, I bought the 8053, 8069, 9395 and 9397 sets. And what a pleasure to build Lego again! :classic: But, i really miss a pneumatic set... When a child, i used to have the 8040:

http://www.brickset....ail/?Set=8040-1

Pretty basic by today standards, but at that time i really loved the pneumatic system.

Anyway, today, the only set that has pneumatics is the 8110 Unimog, wich is really out of my price range... So i will buy used.

But wich set? It seems like everyone raves about the 8455 and the 8868, both legendary sets.

I really love contruction machines, and the 8455 Backhoe Loader looks great and it seems like the king of pneumatics, but i already have a Backhoe Loader (and my wife will surelly say - "what? you already have a model that looks like this one!" :wink: ).

So, for someone that recently came from the dark ages, and keeping in consideration the sets i already have, what do you recommend for a great pneumtic set, in terms of fun to play/build and complexity? The 8868, 8455, or another?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by martin1965

For sheer pneumatic mayhem, you really can't go wrong with the 8455. Check out Lost_In_Noise's pictorial review. If you can find one for a reasonable price, I would definately get it!

The 8868 is brilliant, and has some unique features, but it's old! A decent secondhand 8868 will probably set you back as much as a brand spanking new 8110 Unimog, so I'd rather go for the 8110 due to the number of parts and variation of the set compared to the Air Tech Claw Rig

Hmm...

You can not buy 8455 because you have 8069.

You can not buy 8421 because you have 8053

You can not buy 8285 because you have 9397

So, you are left with just few good sets: 8464, 8436 and 8868 (which is also similar to 9397).

Since you like construction equipment, I recommend 8464 (or onf its other two versions). Its decent looking front loader with 4x4 drive and interesting steering.

Hmm...

You can not buy 8455 because you have 8069.

You can not buy 8421 because you have 8053

You can not buy 8285 because you have 9397

So, you are left with just few good sets: 8464, 8436 and 8868 (which is also similar to 9397).

Since you like construction equipment, I recommend 8464 (or onf its other two versions). Its decent looking front loader with 4x4 drive and interesting steering.

Thanks for the suggestions!

It's not that i can't buy the 8455, 8421 or 8285... I was just looking for something different from what i have for the variety. I don't mind whatsoever having two backhoe loaders, for instance, since they are diferent in terms of technical functions and implementation. The problem is to justify the money spent to my wife when two models look "the same" ;)

The 8464 is really a nice model. I always loved the 8265, but i think the 8464 would be a better option for a front loader (the pneumatics that i'm looking for vs LA's that i already have).

For sheer pneumatic mayhem, you really can't go wrong with the 8455. Check out Lost_In_Noise's pictorial review. If you can find one for a reasonable price, I would definately get it!

The 8868 is brilliant, and has some unique features, but it's old! A decent secondhand 8868 will probably set you back as much as a brand spanking new 8110 Unimog, so I'd rather go for the 8110 due to the number of parts and variation of the set compared to the Air Tech Claw Rig

The 8110 would really be my dream set at this time: new, big, lots of parts, lots of functions and the pneumatics. But it's out of my price range... Money is really tight at this time and i can't justify buying such an expensive set. With kids at school, not very well payed job at the moment, money has to be very well managed and spent :(

Edited by martin1965

Welcome to the forum!

Aside from the 8845 and 8868, I also recommend 8464, although it is built using more old-school studded construction. Nice steering mechanism, 4wd, fake engine, plus the air tank is nice.

There is also the 8462 pneumatic tow truck, which has two air tanks (but studded construction), 8436 pneumatic crane truck (studless construction with newer style pneumatics), or the 8049 log loader. IMHO, 8049 isn't a great value for the money, but it does have pneumatics and includes a small pneumatic compressor if you wish to add a motorized compressor.

Also, you may want to check the LEGO Education website. They don't really have any pneumatic sets, but they do have pneumatic parts packs that you can purchase. They also sell air tanks on the site.

Can't go wrong with the Unimog either. :grin:

My two cents are that set 8042 is a nice classic small set that has both a small and a large piston. The model is blue and uses the old brick built style of technic. I had that set growing up and have fond memories of the claw truck that could be built with it.

If you really want to get into heavy duty pneumatics, the 8455 Backhoe Loader is the way to go, miles of tubing, tons of valves, 2 cylinder pumps, and if I recall 10 valves. You will end up paying a mint for it these days since it was released in 2003, but it is well worth it.

How about getting the 8455 and build the B model first to throw off the wife (as long as she doesn't see the box!). Then, later you can build the Backhoe and tell her it's the 'B' model! :sweet:

How about getting the 8455 and build the B model first to throw off the wife (as long as she doesn't see the box!). Then, later you can build the Backhoe and tell her it's the 'B' model! :sweet:

Now thats an excellent Technic idea! Really really great! :wink:

Edited by martin1965

Strange that 8460 hasn't been mentioned yet. I think it's a great set, and possibly even better than 8421. Like 8459, it has been with a reason the set was re-released twice.

You are in a real conundrum here. While there are a wealth of good pneumatic sets out there, most of them are older, larger sets and are therefore reasonably rare and unreasonably priced. If the cost of 8110 is a significant barrier, you may have trouble finding a pneumatic model much cheaper.

For the old style pneumatics, I like 8851. It is not too large so you can get one at a reasonable price.

For an older model with the double acting pneumatics, I recommend 8854. Fantastic model and fun to use.

8862 was an older flagship but can be purchased quite reasonably. It is distinct enough from your 8069 backhoe that your wife won't compare them. Trust me, I know.

There are also a couple of good sets which were released repeatedly. 8460/8431/8438 is a wonderful pneumatic crane. If you search carefully for any of the 3 versions, you can probably get a good deal. Likewise, 8459/8439/8464 is a pneumatic loader with an air tank that you can pick up for a reasonable price.

8868 is fantastic but probably out of your price range. Same with 8455. 8421 isn't really even a pneumatic model; it only has a single function. However, if you go for one of the smaller models above, you won't be disappointed.

There's always the option to use Lego Education > Lego Spare Parts and procure what you really want: http://www.legoeducation.us/eng/characteristics/productType~LEGO%20Spare%20Parts .

Take a look and you'll find Pneumatics parts & small kits (e.g. http://www.legoeducation.us/eng/product/pneumatics_parts_pack/2020 ). This way you can get what you're looking for and use you're current sets to build / create from.

@ Technic Gearhead - Agreed, the 8455 B model is still full of pneumatic functions but IMO is rather subpar at best...if it had 2 of the same size tires on front and back it would be much better...tried larger tires and rims but it just doesn't work without some major modification, the 3x5" thin liftarms make it impossible to put larger or same size tires on it...the design is nice though, a telescoping loader...even the 8439/8459/8464 is ok too if you build either the main model or the B model...

Strange that 8460 hasn't been mentioned yet. I think it's a great set, and possibly even better than 8421. Like 8459, it has been with a reason the set was re-released twice.

@Richie - the 8460 is nice, I have one, but like the 8421 it is very limited in pneumatic functions. A really nice compact, if you can get it, is the 8837 (think I have the set # right, I have one used) Excavator is packed full of pneumatic functions...however it is a wheeled excavator, not tracked like most, but still a great old vintage model...

Edited by TechnicFreak

8455 is the best (obvious maybe). The 8868 is way bigger and more pricey if you want it in good nick. The wifey may start asking questions. The bakhoe looks somewhat anonymous also since you have some of the bigger sets from before.

Just thought of another one, the 8443 Pneumatic Log Loader. Its a great smaller set, but has just enough pneumatic parts on it, and the box is not large at all. I bought 1 brand new in September.