Sign in to follow this  
Rumble Strike

Heroica RPG - Quest#52: Tower of Doom

As the others watched on, Maurice gingerly opened the door of the black box. It didn't creak open, it was very smooth. Inside, all he could see was a pink and yellow light. With a glance back to the others, Maurice stepped inside, and vanished.

Maurice suddenly reappears through the door.

"I think you should follow me, the door takes you to a bearded blue man who seems to be our constituent. I think the passage if safe but be prepared to cover your eyes, the colours are very flaring."

Maurice leads his party comrades back through the door.

"We don't seem to have anything else to do."

I follow.

The party all climb inside the small doorway, and after a brief moment of discomfort, appear in an intensely coloured room.

8040356765_0684c36a6d_o.jpg

The walls are a bizarre, flamboyant mis-mash of colour, totally unlike anything the party has seen before. In the middle of the room the blue-skinned man Maurice spoke of stands, holding a glowing staff. He smiles and waves at the party.

8040357081_f7ec76e875_o.jpg

"Hello again, heroes of Heroica! It is I, Byverion the Maginastra, who has called you to action. Tolot was simply my messenger, for I cannot leave my realm. Now, some of you I know," - here he smiled at the Yeti, the ninja and the cloaked undead - "and some of you I have yet to meet. Maurice, my good man, thank you for bringing them in here. I apologise for all the cloak and dagger theatrics but you can't be too careful who's watching these days.

I have gathered you six here to help me. The business with the children of Ve'er had a profound impact on me and my employers. Speaking of which, it is a shame not to see Erik here. That Barbarian had such an old, wise head on young shoulders. He really helped me see the error of my ways. Anyway, what I didn't tell you was that I am, or rather was, one of the Council of the Watchful Eye. We are observers. I came up with the plan to save the children, using my Guardians, but we know that wasn't the best idea I ever had. Technically it broke my mandate, and once I presented my findings to the other Council members I was called a maverick, and suspended.

So I spent some more time in Ve'er with Hlin and the others. He is a good man, they are good people. I knew that they wanted to stop Haroka, knew that he was in Miranda, and encouraged Hlin, Vres and Laxadaisi to go and check it out. See what the city was like under his thrall. But now they are missing, possibly captured, and it is my fault. I want to get them back, and put an end to Haroka. I cannot just watch from the sidelines, I must act. But, alas, I have no power out there. In this realm, this can be a mansion, a sanctuary, or anything I choose - do you like the colour choice? I think it's marvellous! - but I cannot go outside. My power is contained here. So I need your help. What say you, heroes?"

The party can ask questions and/or take a look around

Guts squinted as he found himself in the bright room. The raider answered:

"Tell us everything that you know about Haroka. I know very little, I know he once was a threat to the world, but no more than that. Your friend in Eubric mentioned Inquisitors? What or who are those? Has Haroka tried to form an army? What about Sorrow, or Sorona as she's also called?"

The Raider sheathed Lifestealer for now, but he kept a watchful eye on the blue man.

"I'm ready for helping you in this matter, sir Byverion. Are that maps over the region we are going to over at the table there? I'd like to have a look at them if that's possible."

Maurice was quick to agree to help the strange blue skinned mage, as long as he could get out of this room before his eyes started to bleed or he had a seizure.

OoC. That's Maurice opinion, I like it! :)

Maurice heads over to the maps on the table.

8040356999_bae4ac00d9_o.jpg

They are of the Miranda region, and seem to indicate an area with a tall tower.

The Maginastra turned to Guts, and answered him in his melodious voice:

7252133104_e5d4180a46_t.jpg

"From my contact with Hlin before his disappearance, we know that after their arrival in Miranda, Haroka and Sorona kept the Darkstar safe, and began plotting. The Darkstar is a powerful method of corruption, to break the minds of others and bend them to your will. With Sorona at his side, he has brought forth 3 Inquisitors, those powerful enough to do his bidding. The Darkstar is corrupting the city man by man, whilst the Inquisitors roam the streets, looking for threats to Haroka's rule. He was paranoid, because he was still not up to full strength after his release from the tomb in Ve'er, but now, with the sudden arrival of the Tyrant's Tower, I fear his restoration is complete, and we must now act before all of Miranda, and then the rest of Olegia, falls to the Great Scourge."

Edited by Rumble Strike

It is a shame he was not stopped when newly awoken and weak.

In any case Byverion, I will help you, if simply for Vres and Laxadaisi's sakes. Not to mention, the chance to do something that we left undone.

Is there any reason to expect the council will object to your taking a hand in this matter? Are you lying to us about anything or hiding facts that will later become vital?

It's that blasted suit of Armour again!

"So Mr Byverion, any reason for the crazy wall colours? I swear you're trying to blind us. Anyway, what's the plan? Is there any way we can stop this Darkstar?"

The Maginastra looks at Guts and Nerwen sternly.

"The Council were aware of what transpired at the tomb of Haroka, and your part in it. Perhaps you or Guts can elaborate for the benefit of the others here, and likewise, those who faced me in my mansion can tell the others of my powers.

Then I shall answer your questions once again, because fear not, I do have a plan."

OOC: Rather than just being a giant info dump from me, can you guys get each other up to speed? I suspect it may help Etzel as well, as even if he has read the previous Quests, it is always nice to get the perspective in-character.

Edited by Rumble Strike

Guts crossed his arms, and said:

"So they are in Miranda. How do you plan on getting us there, and what would have us do when we get there?"

Normally Syntax would burst right out and start spewing profanities, but after the Fantome incident, he was now much more suppressible.

"...Thank goodness I'm not prone to vertigo. I dislike this man, and not because of his color-choice. He didn't have the common sense to realize that his actions were crimes, and decided to steal children in the middle of the night and lock up them up in isolated areas with a bunch of ravenous abominations. Honestly, would it be hard to leave a note?! Oh, and he didn't take the adults because they were "beyond help" or some demon dung like that.

Honestly, if there is a way to complete our mission without Byverion, I'm all ears."

The Raider frowned when the blue man called him and Nerwen out. The Raider put his hand on Lifestealer, and Guts explained:

"We were hired, by this Sorrow, to recover the artifact known as the Darkstar. We got to Ve'er, went through a cave, until we found the tomb of General Haroka. Sorrow, revealed herself to be Sorona, some sort of love interest for Haroka. Who was actually not dead, but kept alive by the power of the Darkstar. We then had a choice, we could fight them right then, or let them leave. They promised peace, so we decided to allow them to leave. I was to go with them, they thought for I had been swayed by their promise of power, but I really just wanted to keep an eye on them and be able to slit their throats if they messed up. We travelled by ship to Miranda, where they proceeded to drink obnoxiously coloured drinks on the beach. After a couple of weeks of this, I decided to get back to Eubric, but not before they gave me this weapon, Lifestealer as was inscribed on the blade."

Guts ultimately adds:

"It seems it was a mistake to allow them to live. I have every intention of rectifying that mistake."

"A sombre tale, Guts. I can see why you and Nerwen signed on for this. Ironic that we have a "Sorrow" in our party - I don't think he is particularly enamoured with me, but at least he didn't call me "Beardy" again, lest I smite him. The "ravenous abominations" he alluded to are what I call Guardians. I can create them to keep others safe. Perhaps a skill similar to your Evokers, hmmm? And this is where I shall help you. Nerwen, I understand your hesitance and mistrust, as your last guide in Ve'er proved distrustful. And although I am the cause of the troubles Sorrow, Mizuki and Nagure were sent to sort out, I can assure you of my honesty at all times. In fact, your question about the Council is a very pertinent one. They will certainly not like me helping you, but as they suspended me, I do not worry about it. I will do everything in my power to help you, and that power is indeed great, even if I do say so myself.

The crux of the matter is the Tyrant's Tower. To all intents and purposes, this will be impenetrable to you. Protection charms and enchantments will be piled on one after another. The kind of high magics rarely seen. In fact, if the Council's way was not simply of observation, I would peg it as one of my kind's creations. But no matter, for although Haroka will sit high atop the unbreakable tower, I have a way. With these!"

8040357203_0ba2f9e73e_o.jpg

The Maginastra summoned an amulet and showed it to the others. Nagure may recognise it as there was something similar hanging in the magical mansion.

"I will pour as much of my Evoker magic as I am able into 3 of these amulets, and transmute them to Miranda. Your job will be to collect them and put them together. This will allow the creation of one of my Guardians in the outside world - a thing that is strictly forbidden by the Council of the Watchful Eye, but it is the only way. You shall summon Kjorfalneire, the great leviathan of the seas. He will take down the Tower of Doom with his power, and then you will be able to strike at Haroka. He will not expect this, you will have the element of surprise, and hopefully that will be enough."

"That all seems awfully contrived... I guess we have no other choice. If the others don't have any more questions, I am ready to start."

"Contrived, you say? The mistrust runs deep in you too, I see. Perhaps you rue the day you let the Great Scourge walk back among us.

This plan is indeed a long shot, and it will be very dangerous. I cannot guide the amulets once they are released, you will have to search for them in a town that will be hostile to you.

Mizuki, you asked about the Inquisitors, they are each unique; one of the earth, one of the sea and one of the sky. They will be powerful and skilled adepts in the magical arts. If you see them, engage with extreme caution.

Does anyone else have any other questions, or shall we set off for Miranda?"

In the previous quest, the darkstar had strange effects on our teammates. Our party was myself and Guts, a Naga Mage, a rogue and two orcs. As we neared the end, nearly a year ago now, close to the festival of Centaurus, the effects worsened. The orcs became like dumb brutes, unable to communicate in common, or even in Orc-speak. I was weighed with distractions, it kept me from focusing, the rogue, it drove mad. He started developing a split personality, speaking in different colours, I mean voices. Guts it seduced with the offer of power.

I fear that if we are in Miranda too long it will happen again. We must all be on guard and proceed quickly. Anyone falling silent may simply be dragged along.

I am sure everyone gets busy over christmas. I don't know how long Rumble is planning for this quest, but I am very keen to keep it moving at a brisk pace.

"So we collect 3 magic dinner plates and we get a legendary sea monster that will bust down the tower.

Where, pray tell, are these amulets?"