Chri5kng

Do you guys buy multiple of the same sets for play?

I'm curious how many of you guys buy multiple same sets for play and not for resale? I was reading on Toys n Brick forum and someone wrote that "everyone and their mother has this set" referring to castle medieval market village that is about to be continue soon, and it got me thinking, how many of you guys own multiple of the same sets and which are they?

How many of the market village sets do you guys own?

As someone who new to Lego, would really like to know which set is worth owning more than once because all you really need to do is change the brick color and it like a whole new play-set.

Only time I buy sets more than once are the Star Wars battle packs for army-building, MOC's, and the such.

Not sure I know the answer to your last question though, sorry. :/

I own two MMVs. At the time I bought it, I thought it was the absolute best set I ever bought (this is before modulars and the Emerald Night, though).

Speaking of the Emerald Night - one of the best sets ever to do in alternate colors.

I own two MMVs. At the time I bought it, I thought it was the absolute best set I ever bought (this is before modulars and the Emerald Night, though).

Speaking of the Emerald Night - one of the best sets ever to do in alternate colors.

Modular are amazing but do they offer any play ability? Can you take off the whole back wall and if so does it reveal furnish in each room or is it empty? Do you recommend 1 or 2 MMVs since they are going to be discontinue soon?

Thanks

Modular are amazing but do they offer any play ability? Can you take off the whole back wall and if so does it reveal furnish in each room or is it empty? Do you recommend 1 or 2 MMVs since they are going to be discontinue soon?

Thanks

You know, you're the only one who knows if two will be worth it... look for the pictorial reviews here in EB, you'll see it in exquisite detail.

I actually do not play, I build things for displaying, but I can tell you that modulars have removable floors, so top floors can be removed to get to the bottom ones. Some of them have interior items, so don't - I believe generally they started off not having much for interiors, but over time they started adding furniture and so forth.

Thanks

Not the back, but each floor can be separated to access the interior.

I rarely buy multiples. SW battle packs I do, and the occasional SW ship/vehicle to add to my clone army. Otherwise, I'm pretty much a one and done. I don't MOC so that definitely helps in only needing one of a set. I plan on getting another 10223 Joust.

It depends a lot on what you are looking to do with them.

2 MMV's are not that unusual. They have a pair of very nice buildings, that can easily be modified to make them just different enough to flesh out the town a little bigger. Plus it would double the size of your herds.

2+ Castles quite simply lets you make a bigger castle. Expand the walls. Fill in open walled spaces, etc. Helm's Deep is a great castle for this.

I think I have 3 or 4 of the Alien Conquest EDF HQ sets. 1 built stock. The rest reworked and recombined to make a fleet of special purpose vehicles in the same basic design aesthetic.

The Kingdoms Joust was pretty much made to be able to combine 2 into one larger set.

Almost all of this assumes you have a permanent play or display space, not unlike the type used by a model railroader.

The largest set I bought multiple ones for own use was the Battle of Alamut. I 've got seven of them...love the parts...

I haven't got multiples of any set, so far at least, though I would love to have two MMVs (for that matter, I'd love to have one). Some sets (like the ninja buildings in the first year of Ninjago) are designed so that you can combine two (or more) together (in which case, at least for display, two or more is great). I usually destroy a set pretty quickly for MOCing purposes - I believe I only have one built right now (although that one is from early 2011), so I wouldn't buy multiples for play, though maybe for the pieces (depending on how easily or not easily I could get the ones I want off BrickLink).

I picked up a second MMV when they announced it was being discontinued soon, but mostly for the extra cows. I'm not a big mini-figure person so prior to my first MMV it just never dawned me be that I didn't have any cows. Then, not being a mini-figure collector type, I couldn't see myself buying _just_ cows from bricklink (that would be silly) so, logically, my _only_ alternative was to pick up another MMV :sweet:

As a general rule of thumb, when I buy _a_ set it's to build that particular model and the model will stay intact for years. When I go back and buy multiples of a given set it's to scrap the extra copies it for parts. Most often this happens with Technic kits, but in the recent past I've also "bulked" The Black Pearl, The Fire House and Town Hall Modulars, and used three copies of Big Ben to produce a better looking Architecture-style tower where the clock faces don't stick out.

With the discontinuation of "Grab Bags" at the Lego Store, I suppose I'll probably be buying more kits for just parts in the future.

I don't generally buy multiples but I will reuse instructions and bricklink to make multiple sets for my town layout, mainly vehicles. I'm terrible at making cars and trucks freestyle so I use official sets and change colors and mod them a little bit to make them different. The only sets that I think I would buy multiples of (although I haven't yet) would be the creator houses to make all 3 models at the same time.

I often but multiples of the smaller sets to make a subject more 'real.' For example with the ADU sets from Alien Conquest, I bought several of the smaller sets. I cannot believe that an invading alien intelligence would simply bring along just one tiny little fighter / skimmer craft or one walker. In the same vein I cannot believe the ADU would have just one small vehicle with a gun mounted on the back. (It would be akin to the army having just one Challenger or one Abrams depending on where you live of course but you get the idea.) So to make a credible battle scene you really do need multiples some times. It is fine to have only one of the massive sets, say a base or really big vehicle, like in the Alien Conquest the Earth Defender as that is essentially where they control the battle from, you get my drift? So yes I buy maybe one big set, lots of little sets, sometimes to just have more than one, sometimes to have parts to make MOCs that fit in with the line. I guess it comes down to if you are an army builder or not really.

I have no idea which ones are worth more money wise, I don't buy things with any plan to sell them so I don't look at that side of it.

I am new to buying Lego for myself, used to buy it just for my kids. Never bought multiples till recently. I bought 2 Uruk-hai armies for the Helm Deep. I also bought 2 Mummy sets, 2 Werewolf sets and 3 Swamp Creature sets from Monster Fighter just for playability and arranging some cool scenes. Collectible Minifigures are great for building city population or armies. I bought 2 aliens from series 8 to go with our Alien Conquest sets. If I would have more money, I would buy 2 (I don't even own one for now :() of Escape from London sets, because of great vehicles, horses, soldiers and building. I but I like to play with my kids and home someday make some of those great Lego movies on Youtube. Hey a girl can dream, right?!

You know, you're the only one who knows if two will be worth it... look for the pictorial reviews here in EB, you'll see it in exquisite detail.

I actually do not play, I build things for displaying, but I can tell you that modulars have removable floors, so top floors can be removed to get to the bottom ones. Some of them have interior items, so don't - I believe generally they started off not having much for interiors, but over time they started adding furniture and so forth.

I think I'll be avoiding them for now but they certainly look amazing especially the green grocer.

Too much money .... to buy multiples.... besides with such variety ..... we still haven't got even half the Star Wars (especially the Death Star !)

Heres to dreaming

:classic:

I normally don't buy multiples just because of so many great sets/themes that it is difficult to spread the money out to multiples. Unless it is on clearance or as a gift. I have two Uruk-Hai armies but one was from my wife and one was from my mom, so it wasn't us buying multiples. When they clearanced Kingdoms last year I ended up with 8 Escape from Dragon Prison sets and 2 King's Carriage and I don't know how many Knight Showdown and the Dragon wagon set. Everything at half off is a lot more tempting to get multiples. I do agree that MMV would be a great set to have a 2nd version of, but with all of these other new sets I need/want I won't be buying a second MMV. But typically with extras I piece it out to MOC with and then collect my armies. I really wish I wasn't a minifigure fan. Most sets I buy because of how awesome the figures are. If I didn't like them I would buy more multiples of certain sets and then sell off the figures on eBay.

Multiples? heck yes, it's all about the parts, plus it'd be hard to build Castle armies with just a single copy of each set......

I whole greatly reccomend the MMV, singlely or in multiples. Most sets get... integrated into my LEGO Collective, but some sets are spared such a fate due to their design or even size and complexity. An example of this are the few trains I have or the 10210 Imperial Flagship.

Edit to correct the IF set number...

Edited by Bearded Castle Guy

I have some sets in multiples, all 'just' 2 copies except the Apple Tree House that was on sale, and I think I got four of them. They all go straight to the sorting bin, and are used in MOCs later. However, when buying an extra copy of a given set, I always make sure it has some 'special' bricks that I found usefull.

I don't usually buy multiples of sets because of money issues, but if I could, I would buy three. One for building, one for parts, and one for storage.

Edited by Grimmbeard

I bought two Maersk trains to have a longer one.

I also have 6x the 5550 because it happened that I found them for cheap on Ebay or other places. I found fun to have several of these. So I made color variations: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38953 (there is a tan one further on the page and the 6th one is still in a box, not yet modified).

I bought three Octan trucks, one to keep as truck and the other two for the tank parts to make three short wagons.

In other cases when I buy multiple sets it because I find them for cheap : so it is for the parts (e.g. 8x 4916 at 1 € each, or the 7998 which was on sale in a supermarket some time ago)

The only 2 same sets I bought in my life was a impulse set, and even that was for a Black Friday sale. :laugh: But I've been considering.