Sign in to follow this  
MagPiesRUs

Ragnarök Now - Conclusion

Don't blame WBD, he wasn't even scum yet at that point. :tongue:

I'll blame whoever I want! :tongue: And WBD knows I'm just gonna keep :poke: him about not believing me when I said he had no choice and he would be scum that night. :laugh:

My role PM:

22.jpg

Patrekr the Red

Claim to Fame: Patrekr the Red was a wise and just king who ruled in Norway. Patrekr placed great importance on legacy and worked hard to ensure that his son and heir Cranebreinn would continue to bring prestige to his family. Patrekr's one vice was his pride. He could never bear to have someone as his equal in power. In this way, he eventually made a rival of Wary the Black, a king in Sweden. Patrekr and Wary waged a bitter war for many years, both of them too proud to come to a compromise.

Cause of Death: Slain in battle in a duel with Wary the Black.

Allignment: Einherjar (Town)

Night Action: You are the paranoid axe owner. If anyone targets you at night, you will kill them.

It seems it was right for me to avenge myself on Wary after all. :hmpf_bad:

Yeah I was a bit paranoid on night 5 and told several people to lynch you the next day if I was killed, DD. :tongue:

My role:

16.jpg

Dragmall

Claim to Fame: Little is known about the origins of the enigmatic Dragmall. What is known is that he was a bearded fellow who loved looting, drinking and battling. He certainly wasn't a woman in disguise. Dragmall showed much potential as a warrior.

Cause of Death: Metagamed prematurely.

Night Action: You are the blocker. Each night you may block one player, stopping them from using their night action.

Yeah I was a bit paranoid on night 5 and told several people to lynch you the next day if I was killed, DD. :tongue:

:laugh: Nice. Well, I figured I was going to be dead night 5 after I got your PM replies during the day.

24.jpg

Dagrun

Claim to Fame:A charming young noblewoman, Dagrun was married to King Olaf of Agder, whom she quickly fell in love with. When Olaf was slain in battle by a rival king, Dagrun assumed command of his forces and fought to avenge his death. She recklessly threw herself into the battle-lines, hoping that her deeds in war would allow her to be reunited with Olaf in Valhalla. Though the opening battles were successful, her warriors began to chafe under the leadership of a woman. Many defected, allowing her enemies to gain the upperhand and capture her.

Cause of Death: Thrown into a pit of snakes.

Allignment: Servant of Loki

Your co-conspirators are:

- Hervi Pudding-Head (Hinckley)

- Sigmund (Sisco)

- Bolli Ale-Lover (Bob)

- Jormund (JimButcher)

- Gerrid (Captain Genaro)

Night Action: You are the scum decoy. Each night, you may pick a player, and all actions directed at the player that night will be redirected at you.

That was one of the better looking games I've seen on this site. Good job :thumbup:

My role PM:

4.jpg

Carl Poem-Piece

Claim to Fame: Carl was a famous poet who travelled throughout the Baltic region entertaining nobles. Proud and arrogant, he felt that no one truly understood his genius. He never did much serious fighting in his life, leading many einherjar to wonder what he's doing in Valhalla. It is thought that he was let in to keep the rest of Odin's warriors entertained.

Cause of Death: Executed by an insulted host.

Night Action: You are the watcher. Each night, you may watch one player. You will be able to see which players, if any, targeted the player on that night.

Well, being dead for so long did somewhat diminish my focus on the game, but Yeah! We Won! I still don't understand why I suck so bad at playing a Townie for more than one day, but I guess that's something to work at. :blush:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Thank you TinyPiesRUs for running this game! It's very fun and thank you for doing such an awesome conclusion by putting together many memorable references like the chandler and my black knight dragon shield. I am just a vanilla townie and I didn't contribute much at all! I am very thankful that I was not lynch even though I was expecting to be lynch for my fly under radar behaviour. Sorry guys that I am of no use to you all in this game. Overall, I am glad this game is over and the townies won a victory!

17.jpg

Wilhalm Bloodaxe

Claim to Fame: Wilhalm was brother to King Patrekr the Red. Wilhalm felt insulted by Patrekr's neglect of him and grew jealous of the favour that was constantly directed towards his nephew Cranebreinn. When Patrekr was slain in battle, Wilhalm was made guardian of young Cranebreinn. Ambitious for power, Wilhalm murdered his nephew and made a bid for the throne. Upset, the nobles rose up against Wilhalm and drove him out of the kingdom. With the few men still loyal to him, he raided the French coastline, eventually seizing a holding in Normandy. Here he was appreciated for his talents and lived in contentment. This period of peace gave Wilhalm time to reflect on his dishonourable deeds. Consumed with guilt, he attempted to redeem himself by serving his liege in an attempted invasion of England.

Cause of Death: Hit by a rock while assaulting an English fort.

Night Action: None

-snip-

I must have somehow overlooked reading your character's history. I didn't realize that you were a relation of mine...and such an evil one at that. :angry: If I had, I would have devised a way for you to target me at night, so I could kill you. :sweet:

Thanks for hosting, TinyPiesRUs, and for having me in your wonderful game. It was fun while it lasted :tongue: Plus I learned a lot about my way of playing and how to improve.

Sent 12 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

23.jpg

Bergulf

Claim to Fame: Bergulf was one of the most infamous berserkers to have lived. Before battle, he worked himself up into a terrible frenzy that made him nigh unstoppable. During this time he was more beast than man, snarling, growling and howling at his opponents. This state of bloodlust was very draining on Bergulf, who shut himself off from the rest of the world when a battle wasn't going on. As a result, he never had much contact with other human beings and found it difficult to connect with them.

Cause of Death: Defended a bridge against a great army for ten hours straight. He eventually ran out of steam, and was slain in his state of weakness.

Night Action: You are the bulk investigator. Each night, you may choose to investigate two players. PM me the name of the two players you wish to investigate, and you will be told whether or not they have the same allegiance. You may pick yourself as one of the two players.

Edited by badboytje88

Wonderful game! I had a lot of fun even though I was killed. I'm not sure why the scum decided to kill me, but better me than a town PR. Unfortunately, I used the Bulletproof action that I was given on the wrong night. It sounded like I trusted the right people this game, which was a nice change for me, and hopefully what I revealed was somewhat helpful in the end.

2.jpg

Finn the Squinter

Claim to Fame: Finn the Squinter was a charming young rogue and an expert marksman. Though he spent most of his days hunting in the woods, he proved to be a valuable warrior for his clan. During one battle, Finn suffered a blow to the head that left half of his face paralysed. However, he made the most of his situation, as his constant state of winking made him a hit with the ladies and made him look badass when he was aiming his bow. Finn's fiery temper meant that anyone who called him "the Squinter" to his face would quickly find themselves riddled with arrows.

Cause of Death: Killed by a jealous lover.

Night Action: You are the inheritor. You are attempting to find the town investigator so that you can inherit hism ability. Each night, you may select a player to target. If they are the investigator, you will inherit their investigator night action when they die. You will not be informed whether or not you found the investigator until he is killed.

Can we expect player evaluations in the future?

You're in a big boy game now. :tongue:

It isn't something that a host is expected to do, but some do anyway. If you really want feedback and the host isn't going to be doing it you could always ask him for some in PM. :thumbup:

You're in a big boy game now. :tongue:

It isn't something that a host is expected to do, but some do anyway. If you really want feedback and the host isn't going to be doing it you could always ask him for some in PM. :thumbup:

Hey, cut me some slack. It's only my third real game. :blush:

(Sorry, Sandy! :tongue: )

Hey, cut me some slack. It's only my third real game. :blush:

(Sorry, Sandy! :tongue: )

Sandy???

I thought that was Draggy in reply to you. :tongue:

I must have somehow overlooked reading your character's history. I didn't realize that you were a relation of mine...and such an evil one at that. :angry: If I had, I would have devised a way for you to target me at night, so I could kill you. :sweet:

Even so, silly boy. I am a vanilla! :wink:

Thanks for the game, TinyP. Loved that conclusion, especially at the end with those cuts! Ah! :laugh: Great scenes and narrative. I wish I live where you do, in the serene green mountains of New Zealand - seriously it was nice to see that part of your hosting return from Witch Hunt. Also, thanks for letting me stay and help out my team after death. :sweet:

That being said, it is quiet in here... too quiet. Okay, some things I wanted to say:

Firstly, really well done to Waterbrick Down. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you're a great mafia player. You are very analytic, and evidently you had a lot of us picked out early on. Where a compulsive vig might have been a hindrance to the town, you really turned it into a powerful weapon and absolutely destroyed us. Your one set back is your tendency to sit back and analyze quietly. I think if you spoke up more you would be a bigger help to the town, but as a vig you were magnificent, because you could do all the killing yourself.

I am almost sorry that we converted you at the last minute (and that you couldn't win), but that did make for some interesting last few days. It was so ironic how you were left on a team that you had personally taken out for the most part. :laugh:

Secondly, we lost for a lot of reasons. One, I think, was our lack of teamwork and communication. Genaro, Bob, Sisco, sorry guys but I was really unimpressed with your performances. :sceptic: I got the feeling that at least some of you didn't even read what was being said. And even you did, as Bob said he did, you still didn't try to communicate with us or bring up new ideas, which is about as helpful as not participating at all anyway. You "took orders" and cooperated with our game plan well enough, but when it game to actually making those plans or just knowing what was going on in general, I felt you three were not participating at all. I hate to sound like a snob, but if you're not prepared to put in the effort, don't even bother signing up.

Another thing that messed us up a little was some paranoia. There was one point where some team members distrusted Hinckley and thought he was a traitor, which led to some poor decisions for night actions. I've already discussed this at length with those involved, so I don't feel the need to beat a dead horse, but thought it bore mentioning. Plus, said member was able to pull off an amazing WIFOM tact and kept the game going for us another two days. :thumbup:

Also, I admit I wasn't much help to the team with my game life. WBD had me picked off night one, which says something about my ability to hide my scumminess. :sadnew: I was able to help out with my input afterwards (forfeiting my access to the dead WB, of course), which was fun.

I do feel that there were some issues with balance, but nothing major. Really, the game could've gone either way, but I did feel at times that the scum team was underpowered. We essentially had two useless roles: the Prankster, which did absolutely nothing and could have framed the user if they were watched/tracked, and the Decoy, which was either useless or harmful unless we knew who the protector was. Also, we had a weak conversion ability.

On the other hand, the town had TWO vigs AND a PGO. While these could have been harmful to the town, they weren't, and I felt the balance was a little messed up that way. If the town was organized, which they were, somewhat, they would essentially have three killers. What makes it bad is that the scum had a greater chance of targeting the PGO, with a few useless actions.

Was that it? If I had more to say I forgot it. Again, I did have fun, and great job to the players and hosts. I just felt these negative things needed to be said.

Even so, silly boy. I am a vanilla! :wink:

I would have asked ChromeKnight to give you an invention with which you could target me. :grin:

WBD you really were magnificent as the vig. Obviously the scum thought you were the most valuable person to convert. :grin:

...and for good reason since you killed off half their members.

I would have asked ChromeKnight to give you an invention with which you could target me. :grin:

Chromeknight did attempt to give me something but is unfortunately blocked. I think it was in Night 3 or Night 4.

Firstly, really well done to Waterbrick Down. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you're a great mafia player. You are very analytic, and evidently you had a lot of us picked out early on. Where a compulsive vig might have been a hindrance to the town, you really turned it into a powerful weapon and absolutely destroyed us. Your one set back is your tendency to sit back and analyze quietly. I think if you spoke up more you would be a bigger help to the town, but as a vig you were magnificent, because you could do all the killing yourself.

I am almost sorry that we converted you at the last minute (and that you couldn't win), but that did make for some interesting last few days. It was so ironic how you were left on a team that you had personally taken out for the most part. :laugh:

He's the most successful vig in Mafia history and we robbed him of it to try to win the game. It would've worked if it wasn't for you meddling kids! :cry_sad: Ironically, the fact that TinyPies gave the Town two vigs for some reason is the thing that brought us down in the end. :hmpf: Everyone thought WBD was lying about being a vig, when it was the one thing he was telling the truth about. So having two vigs ducked us in the beginning of the game because he was a genius and kept taking us out and it ducked us in the end of the game because the Town also agreed that there should only be one vig... :wall:

Secondly, we lost for a lot of reasons. One, I think, was our lack of teamwork and communication. Genaro, Bob, Sisco, sorry guys but I was really unimpressed with your performances. :sceptic: I got the feeling that at least some of you didn't even read what was being said. And even you did, as Bob said he did, you still didn't try to communicate with us or bring up new ideas, which is about as helpful as not participating at all anyway. You "took orders" and cooperated with our game plan well enough, but when it game to actually making those plans or just knowing what was going on in general, I felt you three were not participating at all. I hate to sound like a snob, but if you're not prepared to put in the effort, don't even bother signing up.

I agree with this. We were actually asked to stop posting so much at one point because it was hard to read everything. :hmpf: And I hear that Genaro was annoyed with my "meat-shield" of him, which wasn't even a meat shield. I talked through it step by step on the writeboard which was totally ignored by Bob and Sisco who swooped in and voted for Genaro without even discussing it. :hmpf: It was really weird. Not sure why you were still annoyed with me, Genaro, when I explained everything that was happening while it was happening and then yelled at the other two for causing the momentum to swing to you. :def_shrug: Oh well. Then again, it's only a rumor so perhaps you are not annoyed at all.

Another thing that messed us up a little was some paranoia. There was one point where some team members distrusted Hinckley and thought he was a traitor, which led to some poor decisions for night actions. I've already discussed this at length with those involved, so I don't feel the need to beat a dead horse, but thought it bore mentioning. Plus, said member was able to pull off an amazing WIFOM tact and kept the game going for us another two days. :thumbup:

The irony of this is not lost on me. Perhaps I suck at playing Scum, I don't know. I do know I'll probably never talk to badboy during a game again. :laugh: Both times in recent memory that I've been Scum, I've had badboy with an investigative role claim to me on Day One and it's totally ducked me both times. :hmpf: Granted, I tried to manipulate it this time and totally flubbed it while doing so, but still. Badboy, sorry. It's not your fault, I just can't let it happen again. Not to mention, you ran off to Scouty at the slightest inkling I wasn't telling the truth, which was the right thing to do since I was lying, but after I defended you from the lynch for two days, I was a little annoyed you wouldn't talk to me more about what was going on instead of just cutting me off. That's no fun, even if I am lying through my teeth. :blush: But, this all lead to the Scum team thinking I was a traitor cult leader spy. :wacko: Yes, that's real. They thought that. The night I was lynched (TPRU let me stay in the game) we planned to ascetic kill Draggy to split up the Town block but the living Scum went for badboy instead thinking that I had converted him to a cult member. :wall: What? :wacko: It's as ridiculous as the Town's belief that there were two factions with the same name whose leaders had to kill each other off. A theory reached because we were dropping like flies on the Scum team. :hmpf: I was pretty annoyed to be lynched and blind-sided with the Night Actions all in the same game day.

But, I have the feeling that others had more fun in the game after I was gone. :sceptic: Maybe I was a bit too much of a spaz in the first three days. But, I do think it bears mentioning that some people, myself included, are just taking the game too seriously lately. I liked the game for the hosting aspect and the storytelling is amazing, as usual with TinyPies, but many people (not just Shadows :tongue:) behaved in ways that were really disappointing and not fun at all. :sceptic: That's just my opinion, but it left kind of a bad taste in my mouth for the current state of Mafia. Just my opinion. :sceptic:

I do feel that there were some issues with balance, but nothing major. Really, the game could've gone either way, but I did feel at times that the scum team was underpowered. We essentially had two useless roles: the Prankster, which did absolutely nothing and could have framed the user if they were watched/tracked, and the Decoy, which was either useless or harmful unless we knew who the protector was. Also, we had a weak conversion ability.

On the other hand, the town had TWO vigs AND a PGO. While these could have been harmful to the town, they weren't, and I felt the balance was a little messed up that way. If the town was organized, which they were, somewhat, they would essentially have three killers. What makes it bad is that the scum had a greater chance of targeting the PGO, with a few useless actions.

I do agree with this. Two vigs and a role that incriminated us instead of helping us manipulate really brought us down to our knees early. Two Scum were removed a night on Days Three and Five... that's a pretty powerful and well-equipped Town. Granted, the Town was working hard and that's the hardest obstacle for Scum to overcome. However, two vigs is overpowered from the beginning. To be honest, I have no idea why you would find that balanced, TinyPies. :blush: Sorry, that's harsh, but it's just a bit confounding. Random role selection led to two Mafia geniuses being said vigs, one of which was compulsory. :wacko: That's a hard deck to be stacked against. Then, as Jim mentioned, we had our weird roles. The Prankster made me nervous that Jim was a usurper (yes, the mistrust was somewhat rampant for the Scum in the beginning). A role that did nothing? What's the point? Really, what was the point of that role? :laugh: It had us really confused. I know Loki is the God of mischief, but... :wacko:. I was the converter and I could convert two players to neutrals... :sceptic: This was really odd. When we got into trouble you let us convert neutrals to Scum. This doesn't work, in my opinion. A two step conversion process that comes complete with a warning that they've been converted to neutral? Weird... But, the conversion role itself was weird. The others didn't want me to use it, since they thought I was a cult leader... :hmpf::wall: but even so, it was a messed up role. I wanted to convert badboy since it would have negated his role, but I never had the chance. Other than that, I can't see the role helping very much, at least not in the situation we created for ourselves. If we wanted to speed up the game towards the end and we were close with numbers, it would make a big difference, I guess. Killing one Townie and converting another gives doubles our pace for outnumbering them. That, I understand, but it caused a lot of trouble in the mean time. The worst, in my opinion, was the decoy. DarkDragon could target one person and all Night Actions targeted at that person went to her instead. :wacko: But, it caused the Night Actions directed at her to be woozy and give that stupid "you think" result. Here's my biggest soapbox for the game: I think we're past the time when "You believe" or "you think" or "you quickly search" can be used as a "clue". It's been used often enough that it simply means you are getting the opposite result. In The Forest II, which I realize is my game to host and we can host things however we want so this is only my opinion, I let the framing action give a definite result. What is the point of a framing or tailoring action, otherwise if we're going to say "you think they are Scum" when we now know that the result means the person is Town...for the most part. Anyway, we took a huge risk in trying to manipulate the investigation results and it totally blew up in our faces. We chose to make a bold move and that's very risky for Scum. We thought the wooziness would be the only side effect. That would've been nice for badboy to report his result and I could tell Draggy he had wooziness like Scouty had. However, badboy was not only woozy, but got the "I believe" result as well. So, that got me killed and took a Night Action taken completely out of our repertoire because the results incriminated use more than helped us. After that, we couldn't see much use for it.

What sucked most about that is I had just gotten the Scouty and Draggy situation smoothed out to a point where it seemed like they both actually trusted me and it was the "I believe" result that turned everything around on me. Maybe they would've turned on me anyway. Who can say for sure? I know Draggy was suspicious about me suggesting blocking targets, something I did only because that's what Town-Hinck does every game where he knows Power Roles. And I purposely did it as "just suggestions" in order to discuss similar suspicions, as I do every time I'm Town and I know someone's Power Role. But it went from Draggy claiming his role to me one day to accusing me the next day. And it was painfully obvious the protector you were talking to was Scouty, :laugh: although you both tried to deny it. That "I believe" result was definitely a nail in my coffin, though. Like I said, maybe I just can't play Scum, but the fake result certainly didn't help anything.

All of that being said, I did find it rather annoying that some people have certain expectations for how I behave during games as Town.Yet again, maybe I just suck at playing Scum, but there were a lot of "Hinck usually does this" flying around and some of them contradicted each other. There was a lot I did in this game that I based on things I've done as Town in other games. I even looked at some of my responses to similar situations in other games to get the same wording and mindset. Some people still saw through it but I think some people would've lynched me as a Townie in this game for some reason. I'm looking forward to playing again and I would love some more practice at playing Scum, but I'd like to wipe some of the behavior from this game, mine included, from my memory... :blush:

One more thing: I thought it was weird that on more than one occasion people were thinking that some player's defenses were written by other people. I happen to know that both times they were not actually composed by other players. I can't ever remember actually composing someone else's response for them in any situation. On a Scum team, it would be horribly risky. Not to mention, that if I did compose someone's reply, I would mimic their style of posting... And the one that was compared to mine and the way it ended with a few questions? :hmpf: I'm not the only person who asks questions after trying to postulate theories. It's called encouraging discussion... :hmpf:

But, I have the feeling that others had more fun in the game after I was gone. :sceptic: Maybe I was a bit too much of a spaz in the first three days. But, I do think it bears mentioning that some people, myself included, are just taking the game too seriously lately. I liked the game for the hosting aspect and the storytelling is amazing, as usual with TinyPies, but many people (not just Shadows :tongue:) behaved in ways that were really disappointing and not fun at all. :sceptic: That's just my opinion, but it left kind of a bad taste in my mouth for the current state of Mafia. Just my opinion. :sceptic:

I can tell when something is (partly?) directed at me. Here's what I think about this particular subject. I get into it, sure. Do I take it seriously? Well no, I really, really want to win, but no more than that, I don't get negative feelings, about the way they play, sure, but do I get resentment or other negative emotions, no, of course not. I actually really like it when people get "on my level", whatever that means, on playing. It's mafia, you are supposed to lie, play dirty, all tactics are allowed, that's my opinion, it's a dirty game.

I think my own performance was bad, since I was wrong most of the time, and I was creating so much confusion that helped the scum.

Hinckley, the thing is that you tried to hard when in context with me, the sudden change in attitude was what made it 100% clear, but your words were never that honeyed, dude. That's what made it clear to me you were scum. Still, I don't think you played as bad as you say, some townies really trusted you, and that's no easy thing. It's one thing to keep out of reach, it's another to make people trust you!

As I said before, I am impressed by DD and WBD the most. DD, I did not have you pegged in private conversation at all. I don't know if that says a lot about me, but I know it says a lot about you, I think you did extremely well. The roleclaim you did was kinda unbelievable (especially the not using the roles thing), so that's when I naturally thought you were scum. GG! WBD, I think you were great, as I said before, Broadsword Killer, you are my hero. :laugh: Shame it had to end for you like that, but it just means you were awesome. Very well thought out manouver, as well!

Dragonator, so much mixed feelings! On one side I was extremely annoyed by your misplaced gloating and such, and your obvious wrong lynch of Pandora, and more obvious wrong stuff all the time, but at the same time on TOP of your suspicious behaviour, I think you played very well, got it together in the end and played a/the major part in winning it for the town at the end.

CMP, why the gloating? Never trust a word a scum says, that's what I always say :hmpf_bad::tongue:

On top of that I just want to say. That theory, it totally fitted. I am just saying.

:laugh: And another thing: I took some notes during the game. This is my favorite:

Dear crazy people, please point out where I ever tried to take credit for lynching Genaro?

It was rather funny watching my behavior analyzed after I was lynched. The funniest part was how many things I didn't do that people were assuming I did. This wasn't the only example. Some of the analysis included the opposite of what I actually did. A lot of which revolved around the Genaro lynch, actually. For example, someone said I wasn't interested in the Genaro lynch when fhomess first mentioned it which is rather funny because I posted right after it saying I thought it was a good case and would vote for him if people thought the Draggy "joke" situation was just a misunderstanding. That was ignored by a number of people, including Draggy, who said Town-Hinck is indecisive and wishy-washy, when I had just himmed and hawed over whether or not people thought the situation warranted the battle and if we should concentrate on fhomess's case against Genaro instead.

@TPRU: This is by far the most fun I've ever had playing a mafia game. I forgot to say this before, but THANK YOU for the game.

---

Even though the team lost, I think we started out with a lot stacked against us (perhaps mechanics, perhaps not, it's hard to say). Really we were all but wiped out by the end of day 4.

Was there paranoia and mistrust on scum team? OMG yes. From the very very begining there was so much paranoia from a couple of us. I've not been on a scum team often, but I can't imagine that they normally would behave this way - it makes winning just that much more complicated.

Yes, I took control at the end of Night 4 and had what remained of the team do something other than what Hinck had directed us to do. No, this did not lose us the game. In the end, only ONE target was changed and that was the kill. Honestly, there is no reason to keep an investigator alive over a blocker. The role iteslf was much less dangerous to us than that investigation role, which as you say Hinck is pretty much what got you lynched.

I did what made sense to me with the info I had. Everything that was happening was very suspicious and if given the same info and the same options, I'd do it the same way. After my test, we all worked together much better - am I wrong? It's too bad we didn't trust each other, but these things happen sometimes.

And I totally agree with the fact that things like false results and such should not be worded ambigously, that means you know it's tempered with, and will always carry out the exact opposite.

Sign in to follow this