Sign in to follow this  
Linux_Man_85

Regulator Note:

I had merged this with General Questions, which is where it belongs, but Linux_Man_85 can't use the PM system, so I couldn't alert him as to where his topic had gone. Once the question is answered and he sees it or he reaches ten posts and unlocks the PM system, I'll merge the topics.

I am not familiar with battlestar galacta or whatever its called, but a simple google search gave me this, perhaps its what you're looking for

"There is a reason why the Classic Viper MK 2 and the X-Wing aswell as the War Raider and the Snowspeeder ( SW , ESB) do look pretty similar , they were both designed by Joe Johnston ."

Is it true the the Viper MKII (from the original BSG series)is based off of the X-Wing from ANH? The front looks partially similar but the main thing I noticed is how the cockpit blendes into the engines. They appear to be copies of eachother (correct me if I am wrong)

The Galactica, the Tos Colonial Viper, the Tos Cylon Raider and I believe the colonial shuttle were all designed by the same model and fx people as the first SW movie. Most notably Joe Johnston. One of ILM's first post SW jobs was the pilot movie and first few episodes of BSG. So yeah the designers probably played around with similar and unused designs from SW. Remember this was before the whole SW franchise went nuclear. iLM was a spinoff startup trying to sell what they were good at, which was SW type space effects.

The similarities are probably more apparent with the Viper. What we think of as the Colonial Viper was a late production replacement, so they probably made use of some pre existing design ideas. The original Viper design that was replaced at the last minute, was later used as the Buck Rogers Earth "Thunderfighter". (Sigh! I so want one of those in Lego.)

Regarding Battlestar Galactica - some trivia

Early names for the title of the series were: Star World, Battle Star Galactica, Galactica: Star Worlds, The Saga of the Battlestar Galactica, and Earth Star.

George Lucas, the creator of Star Wars, has often been mistakenly referred to as the creator of Battlestar Galactica.

George Lucas eventually became concerned that Galactica would be too much like Star Wars, and he had Galactica producer Glen Larson agree to avoid doing certain things. One such example was that the laser fire would not be the think beams that were seen in Star Wars. However, this still did not prevent Lucas and Fox from eventually starting a lawsuit against Universal claiming that Battlestar Galactica was an infringement on Star Wars. The lawsuit stated there were 83 points of similarity between the two such as the bond between Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. Eg Both stories take place in outer space; both feature the eternal struggle of a handful of believers against an oppressive empire. Both productions shared the same concept artist in Ralph McQuarry, but he came up with completely different designs for both. To regard one as a duplicate of the other is to indict all Westerns for being carbon copies, all kung fu movies as cheap imitators.

So there was also a common concept artist! ;)

There are better ones out there. And the Ship is called "Starfighter" not "Thunderfighter". What kinda stupid word's that !?! ;)

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/89856

Oh, i see. It's called Thunderfighter here as well.. Hmmm.. I'm more than 30 years into SF but I never heard that expression before.. Haller's Version is just incredible. But he owns it only in "real" not in LDD... :(