Sign in to follow this  
DarkShadow73

8462 Pneumatic Tow Truck

Hi - I found a good deal for a 8462 Tow Truck from late 90's, not far from where I live so no shipping. I know its rather an odd looking beast, at least the cab anyway. Since this site is the main source for ideas, I need some feedback on rather its worth the $190 USD the seller is asking.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Eric

8462 is an awesome set for quite a few reasons.

• It has 6 of those super rare low profile silver wheels and tires.
  • It has 2 pneumatic air tanks.
  • It has lots of rare blue parts.
  • 3 pneumatic functions + HOG steering.

All of the sets of these years had a ..... unique look to them. You've probably never seen a real tow truck that looks like this, but I personally like the styling. $190 is a little high but it would be worth it if it was new with no shipping.

I own this set,I loved it when it came out when I was a bit younger. :blush:

Looking back its a very futuristic set with a strange crane mechanism. :tongue:

Seems a lot to me, I think you could pay half that if you not too bothered about a box or printed instructions.

I looked on a couple of websites and $190 seems to be on-par...but that's exactly why I asked the question, that's the nice thing about EB is that you can get feedback so you don't taken. Funny thing is that the seller has tons of vintage sets available, but it seems he's always gone on business. He has tons of sets available for sale, most MISB, and I've bought 4 old vintage sets in September and early October to the tune of $425 USD, but I can't seem to get him to nail down a time for exchange cash, we only live 7 miles apart. His wife operates his BL store while he is gone, but won't meet customers directly in a public place for exchange, not much sense there. He could get $190 in a day if he wanted to, but appears he doesn't want to. He was home Wed and Thurs of this week he told me after his latest trip and I e-mailed him, but he said he didn't have the time and he's only a mile away from the parking lot where we did our last transaction, am guessing money in his pocket, bypassing Paypal isn't his thing. And I'm sure not going to pay shipping cost on an item that I could buy in the same city, seems ridiculous, guess I'll just keep looking, I have the 8428 Turbo Command car and it uses the same rims and low profile tires, seems odd on a tow truck, but the overall design is excellent I thought and its mainly old school Technic which I like.

Oh!

Your talking about This guy

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=lar&itemID=35203414

Yeah, I have seen his stuff on ebay before. Always seems to have MISB sets. He had a bunch of 5542 Black Thunder's a while ago that he was selling off.

Can't believe you can't get him to close a deal...I know if someone wanted to make an in person deal with me I would do it.

Plus, who doesn't like cash?

That price seems about right for an MISB set. A used set should be less than that.

I like the futuristic style and overall construction of this set just as much as the pneumatics. It was one of the last sets with a lot of studded construction, and among the very few blue sets of that type, but also mixed in plenty of studless parts. As a result, the model is lightweight for its size but extremely sturdy.

....Well... considering I have 2 of them in my BL store for far less than that...

What is your store name? I might check them out, this seller doesn't seem very motivated at all, he was gung-ho in late Sept. when I bought 3 vintage sets from him at a cost of $370 USD, and he could have had another $190 in his pocket last week, but oh well, his loss...are yours new and sealed? Just curious...but of course if you gave me your store name on BL I could check them out at the very least...not sure if this violates EB's TOS to post that info but if not, please let me know the store name...thanks...

Oh!

Your talking about This guy

http://www.bricklink...itemID=35203414

Yeah, I have seen his stuff on ebay before. Always seems to have MISB sets. He had a bunch of 5542 Black Thunder's a while ago that he was selling off.

Can't believe you can't get him to close a deal...I know if someone wanted to make an in person deal with me I would do it.

Plus, who doesn't like cash?

Yup, that's him...only about 7 miles from my location, and you are right, who doesn't like cash? No Paypal fees on his end, I've sold and Paypal charges 3% of the transaction if you transfer funds back to your bank account. I think what made him mad was on Nov 3rd I was on my way out to meet him rather late at night and I clocked a deer and it messed up my car bad, I called him from my cell phone and told him I had to cancel out because of that, who wouldn't? The last thing on my mind at the time was Lego, I was looking at my smashed front end of car that has only basic insurance on it, and if it was going to be worth fixing, or if I could afford it. He was rather upset, but come on, my car was sitting on the road with most of my right front end in pieces and hood crumpled, but I guess he didn't think that mattered. Car is somewhat fixed now, driveable, got a body shop to replace some parts, bang some back down and straighten the frame and some internal engine components. He told me he would be available on Wed or Thurs and I contacted him twice about making that transaction but he always had an answer that he was too busy and even though his wife operates the store while he is away on business, and I agreed to meet in an open air strip mall during the day, she wasn't willing to do it, doesn't make any sense...if somebody wanted an item I had and I have about 160 MISB sets available, I would jump for joy, no packing, shipping, dropping off at a shipping store, etc...just pure cash in my pocket, heck I would have driven to wherever the customer was if it was in a certain mile radius of my location for cash...his loss, apparently he isn't all that interested in selling his stock and he's got a lot of it, much more than I do...

@ TechnicFreak: Here is the Chase NY Technic Bricklink store. :wink:

@ DLuders - Not bad, but this seller on BL had it MISB in his truck for $190 and I figured it was a great deal owing to the fact that it is in nearly perfect off the shelf condition...this way also I didn't have to print instructions, takes a lot of paper and ink and you never get the same quality with an inkjet printer...I do that a lot of alternate models and mods for models I find on EB, thanks for the link though, appreciate it...heck even the older sets he sold me for cash in Sept. were like they were just shipped from S@H, incredible for sets from the late 80's and early 90's...

Edited by TechnicFreak

Well, as you can see from this current Bricklink Price Guide, there are not of new or used 8462 sets available worldwide....

@ DLuders - yeah I know, it is rare to find a MISB or even one that is still sealed. I had 1 7 miles away from me, no shipping involved, and I was on my way to pick it up on 11/2 and then I got in the car/deer accident and the furthest thing from my mind was buying anything, all I saw after I hit that buck was is my totalled, or how much is it going to cost to fix if it could be done. I got a body shop to fix the car with mostly used parts, needed a lot of parts, passenger side headlight assembly, grille, bumper cover, hood, windshield, bent the frame rail and knocked the radiator back and bent my power steering components. But all that aside, I still wanted it, but the guy had the nerve to come over that next day as I was assessing my car's damage in the daylight and he had the sets in his truck, and although I wanted the MISB 8462, at the time I was overwhelmed with not having a car to drive and the unknown ahead and passed. I think that pissed him off, obviously anybody in my position would be worried, but he didn't think too much of it. So off he went and I contacted him twice about buying the 8462 but he didn't 'have the time' for me to come pick it up...ah well...

@ TechnicFreak: Sorry to hear about your accident. :cry_sad:

Thanks David - yeah it was scary indeed, I drive a compact Mazda Protege and truthfully I was surprised the body shop could fix it. I had to go with a shop that did basic repairs, paint job on the hood and bumper cover was and all the other pieces like the super-expensive headlight wraparound assembly was expensive as was pulling out the front frame rail and straightening the radiator and such, but at least it runs and drives fine again, the passenger side fender was curled up in front but they just banged it back down, so you can tell it was in an accident but with a car 10 yrs old, and only PL/PD basic insurance, I didn't have a lot of choices, the windshield had to be replaced, one of its antlers came through I was cleaning glass shards out of my hair later, and the roof is dented in a few places, but they said it would a major labor repair to fix the roof because of all the trim that had to be removed from the inside of the car to remove the headliner, and I declined that, it was buck and very large, I have a pic of the car after the accident the next day, I seriously thought it was totalled. I called my insurer and re-added comprehensive coverage with a low deductible just in case this ever happens again, but I am on constant alert and almost scared to drive at night now because of heavy running of deer in the area, but at least that gives me some solace knowing I won't have to pay a huge bill again.