Sign in to follow this  
Chuck

Prototypes shown at fan event Frechen (Germany)

Recently, Lego Ambassador Stephen Sander posted this over at LUGNET.

Hi there,

last weekend a small group of LEGO designers took a couple of prototypes to the fabulous german fan event in Frechen.

Very huge cars, for which the ambassadors initiated a poll (what car should LEGO make?).

The four cars are: Aston Martin, Mustang, Delorean (they added a Mr.Fusion in back), and a VW Beatle.

There are pics of all four cars in the article.

Full story here.

There are also some nice modular houses towards the end of the articles.

-l2k-

The delorian with the Mr. Fusion in back would probably sell the best, since it has universal recognition. I like the Aston Martin, though I tend to prefer luxury cars over sports cars.

And as interesting and neat as the modular town buildings are, I don't think they'd sell well in the U.S. They are very european looking and unfamiliar to anyone who hasn't looked into european urban forms, meaning kids namely. The current town line-up has the advantage of being modern, and therefore universal.

The delorian with the Mr. Fusion in back would probably sell the best, since it has universal recognition. I like the Aston Martin, though I tend to prefer luxury cars over sports cars.

And as interesting and neat as the modular town buildings are, I don't think they'd sell well in the U.S. They are very european looking and unfamiliar to anyone who hasn't looked into european urban forms, meaning kids namely. The current town line-up has the advantage of being modern, and therefore universal.

The Mr.Fusion was just put there as a joke, and probably wouldn't be in a delorean set.

As for the buildings, those aren't prototypes, but where fan-made.

-l2k-

Nice! :-)

All the designer cars look pretty great. (Though the Beetle seems too "bricky") I really hope they keep the Mr. Fusion on the Delorean, or possibly gave the parts for plain and Back To The Future styles.

Love the modular house idea. It would be nice to see something like those as sets.

That Mustang (first car) looks great, lots of chrome pieces in it and nice studless design like my avatar, if this car comes out it's a definate buy for me!

*wub*

I have serious doubts about the marketability of the car sets except to a small number of

1) AFOLS

2) with lots of money

3) who like brick-built cars

THey are nice to look at, but I can't imagine ever buying one for the kind of money they are likely to cost.

I like the houses better than the cars, but I am not a fan of the colour scheme they used.

I wonder if Lego would make a "house" series, representing home and building contruction styles from all over the world. They could release two each year, and people would (I would, anyway) collect them.

Aren't all lego cars supposed to be brick-built? :-P

Maybe he meant "too blocky", or that car lovers usually like non-LEGO display models better. But a good question nonetheless ;-)

That Mustang (first car) looks great, lots of chrome pieces in it and nice studless design like my avatar

Heck, I'd vote for your avatar over any of the other cars, it looks much better.

Love the modular house idea. It would be nice to see something like those as sets.

well these houses look like some prototypes for the new lego creator house coming this summer

and as the anouncment says they where trying to find the model with the best features to release in April..

so i guess the house is the result of this search

well these houses look like some prototypes for the new lego creator house coming this summer

and as the anouncment says they where trying to find the model with the best features to release in April..

so i guess the house is the result of this search

According to 1000steine members who were at the Frechen event it's not...

What I meant about brick-built cars was that different people like to build different things.

-castles

-scenes

-city houses

-keychain display systems

Not all Lego people like cars, and probably not that many at all would like them enough to pay the 100-200$ that these sets would, at a minimum, cost.

The Delorian is amazing... *wub* . The Mustang and Aston Martin are great, too. I like the front view of both cars.

As for the last... the Beetle. I do not like that car in real, maybe because of this I say, that its not my favourite ;-)

-Aredhel

Hello All,

I was in Frechen and had a longer chat with one of the Designers. Just to correct you on some of the Info:

Both cars and houses are fan build/made

Both cars and houses are prototype models (that is why the Mustang has no interior e.g.)

Each car was build in two days time only

Each house was build in one days time only

The houses shown are not coming out in April.

Mr. Fusion was intended and is not ment as a joke on the model.

Don't know anything about licence, I didn't ask about that...

Here is a link to my gallery on BS with the pics from Frechen, enjoy :-)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=226112

take care

Klaus

hmm...thanks for the info Klaus..

do you have any idea on when is lego going to make such models?

did they talk about making any world famous building models like the parthenon or Big-Ben?

hmm...thanks for the info Klaus..

do you have any idea on when is lego going to make such models?

did they talk about making any world famous building models like the parthenon or Big-Ben?

No, I got no idea on the time frame they are looking at!

Welcome to our forums Klaus, and thank you for the extra details.

If I were to buy one of these it would be the DeLorean, hands down. Although I'm not that into UCS scale stuff so I might not by it at all. I'm not sure what the story is with the modular buildings but they all look truly amazing. I love the detail on the bank. It would be almost unbelievable if Lego relased a building like that.

What I meant about brick-built cars was that different people like to build different things.

-castles

-scenes

-city houses

-keychain display systems

Not all Lego people like cars, and probably not that many at all would like them enough to pay the 100-200$ that these sets would, at a minimum, cost.

I'd have to disagree. If you look on brickshelf i'd say about 40, to 50% of what you see is automobile related. I tyhink that if lego did release a lisened/ford/chevy/austin martin/Volkswagen, or whatever, i think there are plenty that would jump on it. My dad bought the 1:8th scale F1 car when it came out and had me build it for him. One of his friends has bought nearly every Ferrari lego set just because he's a huge ferrari fan.

Please don't take this the wrong way gylman, but you seem to have listed the things you enjoy building. Your right, people do enjoy those things to, but i think that cars are just as high(if not higher) on the list of mocs people like to build. I for one welcome these sets. Being a huge car fan, i think these sets (or one of them) would be a great addtion to my and many otheres collections.

As far as price goes, i would be willing to spend $150 or so a nice mustang rendering. They may not be everyones cup of tea, but neither are the starwars USB sets. I hope to see these sets in the near future.