Kristel

MOC: Psychiatrist Office

indexed.gif B-OM-34B

I had this facade sitting on on the table as a WIP for a couple of months. It was based on a bank in Brisbane, but I couldn't figure out how to make it fit a 32-wide baseplate. It didn't do the bank building justice as a 16-wide, so I decided it was going to be professional offices of some sort, and eventually came up with the idea to fit it out as a psychiatrist's office.

8174169469_cb41828756.jpg

I was stuck for ideas on how to do the back. I wanted to make a garden, but that would have looked out of place. I ended up filling the empty space with my first attempt at a "Mark of Falworth" tree (thank you for the tutorials!). I think I need a lot more practice.

8174199462_69e45c5422.jpg

Ideas for what should go at the back of a non-residential building are welcome!

A look at the reception on the ground floor:

8174197462_96a5fbeee5.jpg

And the office on the first floor:

8174197132_138727d7a6.jpg

More photos on flickr.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

I commented on Flickr, and I have to say it here again - it's a grey beauty! It looks fantastic as a 16-wide, has a very interestingly detailed facade, simple but effective interiors for a psychiatrist's office, and a back-side as all modulars - modest, but with an interesting tree design, it looks different, and in a good way. I'm really looking forward seeing more modulars from you.

P.S. Do you happen to have all three of them built? It would be great to seem them together on a street. :classic:

I too am dying to see all of your modulars together. Your work is really quite beautiful, and your photography showcases your builds very nicely. I really like the top two rows of detailing just below the roof.

I've been wondering about those pieces on the sides. The ones with the ridge in the middle used for garage doors. Is it a new piece that is several bricks tall? I tried to figure it out by looking at the new Arkham Asylum set. They seem to be columns that are maybe six bricks tall.

AWESOME structure.....the base of the ground level is perfect with those brick-bricks 'Kristel' ! :grin:

The interiors are delightful and that guy laying down......John McEnroe complex ! :laugh:

A bank in 16 wide would still be okay, in fact I did an open back Federation era 16 wide National Australia bank set in the 1950's. :wink:

Brick On 'Kristel' ! :classic:

Very nice, What a simple, clean facade yet it so typical and recognisable with those details. Simply perfect.

And you also managed too put in a nice interior as well.

Looks very good - particularly for a grey building. Very realistic - and the amount of detailing on the facade is just right.

And by the way: Please don't stop adding stairs - that's part of the realism! :)

Beautiful detailing on the facade and a perfect demonstration of how to use brick bricks :thumbup:

Lovely interiors as well :classic:

Very nice Modular :thumbup: :thumbup:

I really like the Psychiatrist office on the second floor with the globe :wink:

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the comments.

P.S. Do you happen to have all three of them built? It would be great to seem them together on a street. :classic:

The tan one has been broken up as I needed the roof pieces and tiles for the modified haunted house. However, I have its twin sitting here as a wip. I had two on the go when the Modular Madness contest was announced - the dark green / tan one that I eventually entered and a sand blue / white slightly different version. I didn't finish the blue one because I didn't have enough pieces at that time. I am hoping to finish the sand blue one over the next week or two. I have recently brought more roof pieces, and should I have enough parts to at least build the front of the tan townhouse. We'll have to see ... stay tuned.

I've been wondering about those pieces on the sides. The ones with the ridge in the middle used for garage doors. Is it a new piece that is several bricks tall? I tried to figure it out by looking at the new Arkham Asylum set. They seem to be columns that are maybe six bricks tall.

They are these 1x2x5 modified bricks in light bluish grey, which are readily available on Bricklink. It looks like these and the 1x2 version will be available in dark bluish grey when Arkham Asylum comes out. Can't wait for those!

And by the way: Please don't stop adding stairs - that's part of the realism! :)

Very true - it wouldn't feel right without stairs. I just wish they didn't take up so much room!

Lovely facade! Nice to use a good mix of textures. Whom is the tennis player getting treatment? :laugh:

I definitely had McEnroe in mind when picking the minifigure for this scene. I imagine the psychiatrist would be able to get by with the fees just from this one client!

Great looking facade there Kristel. Very ornate. I like the roof detail and the railings. I think the back looks fine with just the tree.

I really like it overall. I am not a huge fan of the monotone front and most of the sand green would be lost when next to other Modulars. I'd almost rather see some splashes of color on the front to tie it all in. But as a 16 wide, it packs a lot of detail. I really like the railings and the front steps. The interior is nicely done. I like the Doctor's office, although for a 16 wide it isn't very roomy (or private with the patient talking down the stairs). I really like the bookcase. I built a library for the Modular Madness contest, but I had to throw the bookcases together quickly because I was running out of time for the deadline. But all in all I do really like this. There are some nice features here I would like to incorporate into my own town layout.

Keep up the good work. I like seeing your new creations.

I've already posted on flickr, but I want to say more here. I love the fact the main facade is mostly grey - I think too often people add color for the sake of it and make things look too busy as a result. I like that this looks like a building that could easily exist in real life. The level of detailing is spot-on, and the interiors are great as well. Blogged on Brick Town Talk!

A lovely design inside and out!

Is there any way to add sand green to the front facade, maybe in the tile layer? It would add a little more color to the front, although many older style buildings to lack colorful facades.

Way to go!

The soffit of the staircase is an interesting feature! :thumbup:

Somehow I feel that the color of the building suits a psychiatrist! :laugh:

There are some nice colours for the facade of the building and there are also nice details too. The psychiatrist's office looks great with the bookshelf and the good-looking but simple lamp.

Nice work! The design is clean and elegant. The interior is also nice. I like the coffee machine in the background. Regarding the back garden I think it looks nice as it is, simple and clean which fits with the rest of the style. Perhaps a little lamp above the door though?

Thanks everyone!

I really like it overall. I am not a huge fan of the monotone front and most of the sand green would be lost when next to other Modulars. I'd almost rather see some splashes of color on the front to tie it all in. But as a 16 wide, it packs a lot of detail. I really like the railings and the front steps. The interior is nicely done. I like the Doctor's office, although for a 16 wide it isn't very roomy (or private with the patient talking down the stairs).

Thanks, LegoDr. Its interesting to see the range of comments about the colour of the front. I did experiment with some colour, but kept coming back to the all grey. It just seemed more realistic. The sign and the flowers came at the end because I thought it definitely needed some colour, just not in the facade.

On the open plan office, I ran out of sand green and would have had to start taking bricks from the modified haunted house. Not quite ready to start tearing that one down just yet. We can pretend that the doctor makes so much money from this one tennis player that he doesn't need any other patients!

Blogged on Brick Town Talk!

Wow, this means a lot to me! Thank you for your comments and your great description. When I first came across Brick Town Talk after coming out of my dark ages, I went back to the first post and went through all of them. It has been a huge source of inspiration for me. I am honoured that one of my MOCs has made it amongst all those amazing modulars.

Is there any way to add sand green to the front facade, maybe in the tile layer?

I like this idea!

The soffit of the staircase is an interesting feature! :thumbup:

Had to google "soffit". New word for the vocabulary.

Perhaps a little lamp above the door though?

Also a good idea. Seems so obvious now that it has been pointed out, but I didn't even think of it when I was working on the back.

Another idea I've had since is that I could have parked the secretary's bicycle at the back.