snaillad

MOC: Streamline moderne shop

Hi everyone!

Here is a quick build I made after returning from the US in the summer where I got a little inspiration.

It gave me a chance to use some techniques which I wanted to use a long time ago. I wanted to use lots of classic streamline moderne elements and styles.

Its a shop selling clothes for ladies. I mainly wanted to concentrate on the fascia of the building so didn't bother making it completely modular like previous builds.

8166720666_71bc71e840_z.jpg

8166723500_9dd9760a70_z.jpg

There is a few more pics on here http://www.flickr.co...s/52656812@N04/

Comments welcome!

Where were you in the US? From the design, it appears you were in Miami Beach, maybe?

I love the design, it as really an American touch of the Modern /Contemporary architecture of the 50's. Those lines are great, I should say to that the choice color is quite important. The hat is certainly a nice touch! A dandy one!

Very nice shop :thumbup: :thumbup:

If completed as a modular I think it will be great, have you intention?? :wink:

Wow...that looks fantastic. The smooth, clean lines of Lego elements lend themselves really well to that style, don't they? Art deco's a really cool architectural style that I wish I saw in Lego more often.

Two votes for extending/building this up to a full-scale modular building!

There is some very effective SNOT work here. Modulars are what got me back into LEGO when Cafe Corner came out, but there is a lot to like about the open rear buildings like this one as well.

This is beautiful! I love the colour scheme and how you have done the lower windows, they are framed really nicely. Great interior, too.

I like the idea of having the open back. It lends itself nicely to taking much better shots of the building, and you can get two buildings for the same number of bricks.

Very nice building snaillad! I like the design of the structure above running up the middle. It gives off kind of an illusion of ascending, inverted shingles. It's really neat :classic:

Excellent structure 'snaillad', not really modernist....more true to the Art Deco era but in 40's/50's blue trim at the top. The curves on the building are totally Art Deco. :wink:

But it's a wonderful design.....Brick On 'snaillad' ! :classic:

I saw the thumbnail on flickr and immediately knew it was you - I came here hoping to find a topic and was pleased to see one. Honestly, no one does this era of buildings better than you, snaillad. The color choices are spot on - it gives a slight nautical feel very common in Moderne buildings. The way the windows were done is brilliant, and that detail in the center of the second floor has become a bit of a signature style for you - I really want to borrow it someday. As always, blogged on Brick Town Talk!

Incredible design. It works really well, and despite the facade mainly in white, it looks very interesting and full of details. Great job. :thumbup:

Brilliant design, especially the middle of the upper floor on the inside. And so nice to see something that's not a complete building for a change - I'd rather see open backed buildings with good interior design than another nice-front-boring-back cube anyday!

Where were you in the US? From the design, it appears you were in Miami Beach, maybe?

Actually I went to Orlando. I got some ideas from Disneys hollywood studios and universal. The Ground floor from this building inspired me. But the upper floor was just mashed together from various Miami hotels etc. I have many books! I didn't get to goto Miami this time so most of my research was from the web. Googlemaps :thumbup:

villains_in_vogue.jpg

NIce design. I like the upper windows area and the area above them. :thumbup:

Thanks! I got alot of inspiration from Miami hotels.

Very nice shop :thumbup: :thumbup:

If completed as a modular I think it will be great, have you intention?? :wink:

Probably not this time, I've got a couple more smaller open backed buildings in similar style to come but someday I will build a large full scale modular hotel in a similar style to what you see here!

Very nice building snaillad! I like the design of the structure above running up the middle. It gives off kind of an illusion of ascending, inverted shingles. It's really neat :classic:

Thanks! I made several designs before I chose this one. I use alot of cladding so the central column is easily interchangeable. I think I picked the most effective one! :classic:

Excellent structure 'snaillad', not really modernist....more true to the Art Deco era but in 40's/50's blue trim at the top. The curves on the building are totally Art Deco. :wink:

But it's a wonderful design.....Brick On 'snaillad' ! :classic:

Cheers! Perhaps without the window canopies it would be more streamlined. Gotta have some curves though!

I saw the thumbnail on flickr and immediately knew it was you - I came here hoping to find a topic and was pleased to see one. Honestly, no one does this era of buildings better than you, snaillad. The color choices are spot on - it gives a slight nautical feel very common in Moderne buildings. The way the windows were done is brilliant, and that detail in the center of the second floor has become a bit of a signature style for you - I really want to borrow it someday. As always, blogged on Brick Town Talk!

Thank you! Much appreciated. I was originally going to use windows in the centre column as its a staircase in alot of the time but thought maybe I should make something more decorative out of it! You can use my vertical cheeses if I can borrow the side-on inter-colored cheeses from the cinema! :laugh:

Brilliant design, especially the middle of the upper floor on the inside. And so nice to see something that's not a complete building for a change - I'd rather see open backed buildings with good interior design than another nice-front-boring-back cube anyday!

Thanks! Its probably more fitting for a commercial or utilies building lobby but figured I need a slightly different color to mix it up a bit! I have been making a much bigger MOC over the past few months which is open backed on two sides so I figured see how it goes with this one. It was much easier for photos for a change!

Thanks to the other very positive responses! I am always grateful for opinions!