Sign in to follow this  
MikeyB

Llwyn Hynafol

Not long after the elemental's attacked throughout the lands, Lord Arlindus led the refugees of Circardia deep into the Enchanted Forest to a forgotten grove that the old hermit, Cora, told him about.

In the grove was an ancient oak, wide and strong, sat on top a crag. It roots gnarled into the stone walls of cliff wall. A cavern had been cut into the rock long ago, by an old order of druids according to Cora. The druids called the stonghold Llwyn Hynafol. It was a gathering point for druids where they would share their knowledge and practice their skills. The ruins of a large statue, weathered by time and covered with moss, rested outside the entrance to the cavern. Inside was a network of tunnels and caves.

LH1-M.jpg

LH3-M.jpg

One could feel that this was a sacred place and could feel the magic under the branches and roots of the old oak. It was a place safe from the elementals summonded by Victor Revenwold.

It was here Lord Arlindus set up camp. Members of the Phoenix Guard and regular soldiers of Avalonia quickly set a palisade perimeter and erected primitive towers along the wall to keep watch for the Hands of Corruption or other threats.

LH21-M.jpg

LH4-S.jpg

They made camp just inside the wall to be close to react if there is trouble.

LH5-M.jpg

LH6-M.jpg

It didn't take long before Lord Arlindus began stockpiling food and goods as well as livestock.

LH11-M.jpg

The blacksmiths were busy ensuring our weapons and armor was taken care of as well as tending to the shoes on the horses.

LH23-M.jpg

The High Chief of the Elven Oak Heart Clan, Dywilyn offered his counsel , along with Elven archers to help bolster the defenses.DSC_0529-M.jpg

DSC_0500-M.jpg

Rolic the Hunter and a few of the Phoenix Guard were responsible for bringing in the last refugees safely to Llwyn Hynafol.

LH19-M.jpg

inside the caverns, civilians help cook and rest while trying to make the best of the situation

LH18-M.jpg

LH12-M.jpg

a refugee rests on on bed racks

LH9-M.jpg

A Phoenix Guard inventories the good in the store room.

LH10-M.jpg

Thanks for looking. as always, Critics and comments welcome!

More photos can be seen Here

Edited by MikeyB

Mikey, this is beautiful I love it. So much activity goind on, such a nice collection of minifigs. I also like the palisade and the icing on the cake is of course the old oak!!

Love it! Not only is this a awesome build, with heaps of great details and atmosphere, there is also an epic story to go with it.

So many great details! The oak is magnificent and the palisade/watchtowers are excellent :thumbup:

The angled entrance to the cave grabs the eye and the inside of the cave is well detailed.

A top-notch entry for sure :classic:

Love that oak! Great job Mikey, you've got some beautiful details there especially the little tents. :thumbup: Somehow though, I just can quite reconcile the in-between-ness (not abrupt enough like the others, and not slow enought to be natural) of the 3 stud base change on the side closest to the photo. :sceptic: (You've also got a green strip going straight across the path, which I'm picky enough to mention. . . ) Other than that, fantastic entry! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Kai NRG

thanks for all the feed back.

I've had the oak built for a couple weeks, in fact I think I built it the first week the challenge was announced

I knew I wanted a tent style camp but have never been 100% happy with my brick built tents. They came together nicely I think and the ability to put little details like packs, quivers and weapons off the post is a nice bonus and adds to the realism I think.

I am also particularly happy with the stone head that lies at the entrance to the caverns!

As to the the green showing through on the area near the entrance, i was going for a broken less used path. and I was getting very close to the max studs allowed and didn't think about the three stud difference. I think i had enough wiggle room to break it up a bit.

once again thanks. I have some more details on the link above but really didn't want to overload the thread with photos.

Cool entry, MikeyB! The Chicken Coup was a great idea! :thumbup:

Onl, the horse looks more like it is kicking the guy then getting a shoe from him. :sceptic:

Mikey this is great stuff my friend! The structures built in haste, the large cave and all the details! All the lovely details! Feels like you have put so much time and effort in every single movemnet of the minifigs and every last touch on the accessories!

A great entry for Avalonia!

Great entry Mikey! I really like the details, but the photos stood out to me a lot as well. Do you have a new camera, or have I just forgotten the quality of you camera?

Wow *oh2* This tree is beautiful, as is the rest of this MOC! Using two trees to create the gate of the palisade wall is a fantastic touch! :wink:

Btw. the minifigures are epic too :classic:

Great work on this! a solid entry for sure!

the horse shoes I didn't get till I read the description, the path looks great!

I have mixed opinions on the base though, the base itself is well done but the shape of it looks to blocky, just my opinion though, the rest of it is superb!

keep it up and good luck!

~Legonardo

A lush forest scene! Very Avalonia and full of wonderful details. You have captured the essence of a 'camp' well, and your photo's are nice and clear too. Nice to see you constantly improving, I think you have become very adept at these countryside scenes. Nice work.

Amazing work ! It's so full of details and so lively !

I'm wondering what is the green rolled thingy on the table inside the cave.

Did you consider changing the brown cones on the palissade with ligh tan ones like *cough*Iforgothisname*cough* did recently?

Mikey this is great stuff my friend! The structures built in haste, the large cave and all the details! All the lovely details! Feels like you have put so much time and effort in every single movemnet of the minifigs and every last touch on the accessories!

A great entry for Avalonia!

thanks there were a lot of finicky details!

I have mixed opinions on the base though, the base itself is well done but the shape of it looks to blocky, just my opinion though, the rest of it is superb!

keep it up and good luck!

~Legonardo

I have always struggled with my bases, definately something I want to improve on.

I'm wondering what is the green rolled thingy on the table inside the cave.

Did you consider changing the brown cones on the palissade with ligh tan ones like *cough*Iforgothisname*cough* did recently?

the green thing is a bed roll on the top bunk. I will add a photo of the bunk area, they do look like tables from the overhead view.

I had messed around with the tan ends but didn't have enough so I went with the brown ones. Then I saw Buurli Burri palisade and knew I should have made a bricklink order for them sadly I was worried I would not get them on time

Cool entry, MikeyB! The Chicken Coup was a great idea! :thumbup:

Onl, the horse looks more like it is kicking the guy then getting a shoe from him. :sceptic:

he is one feisty horse. I think if I would have photographed it from the other side of the horse it would have looked more like a blacksmith shoeing a horse.

Thanks again for everyone's comments.

I just love the daily life on this moc, it feels very authentic.

Good luck MikeyB :classic:

Fantastic work :thumbup: :thumbup:

I love all of this MOC :wub_drool: :wub_drool:

The cave resemble one of the Lords of the Rings :wink:

I thought I commented but I guess not. My favorite Avalonian entry thus far. I like the tree and the cave interior. Great details. Keep it up Avalonia!

Love it Mikey! There is so much going on in this moc, from the blacksmith to the guy making arrows. Great job on all the minifig action. I agree that tree is a beauty, but there are more things like the chicken cage, love that one too. This is defenitely going to be one of the favorites!

Excelent job, so many details to love. I really like the size of the massive tree!