Sign in to follow this  
theDeanoRama

[MOC] SSUN X-03 Helios

Helios0800.png

(all photo links go to flickr)

The combined influences of SSUN (Sol System United Navy) were charged with the development of a new Multirole Fighter that's not only suitable for deployment as a Zero gravity attack platform but also up to the vigors of atmospheric missions. The X-03 Helios was the result of this joint effort. Armed with the newest weapons, this platform is able to attain a true multirole rating.

Manoeuvrable enough for ship to ship combat with the latest in combination mounted armaments, the sustained plasma beam coupled with a 20mm machine gun which can be fired in either combined or selectable modes. When it comes to ship to ship fighting the Helios carries the latest generation of holographic guided technology in the MK60 Meteor Missile.

When it comes to either Air to ground or Capital Ship busting the new attack platform can also carry a couple of GBU-109's, now rated for longer range attacks, (actual distance currently classified). SSUN has chosen this platform to also debut the new MK1 MDC (Mass Driver Autocannon); little is known about this weapon but is rumored to be a very effective weapon against Capital Ships and entrenched gound based positions.

Helios1800.png

Locked and loaded for action

Helios2800.png

This is my 1st attempt at a proper slide forward cockpit

Helios3800.png

View of the cockpit and seating

Helios4800.png

Aft view of the thrusters

Helios5800.png

View of the engine coupling with the Mass Canon Driver removed to show detail.

LDD file can be found here at my MOCpages (be patient, they are having post hurricane server issues, you may need to refresh the page a few times).

Thanks for looking C+C always welcome :sweet:

Interesting colorscheme, that´s for sure. The detailing is also excellent, but I just can´t figure out where to or how the cockpit attaches when it´s slid back.

Really nice fighter :thumbup: :thumbup:

The color scheme and the size are pretty good :wink:

Thanks all for the comments, I've addressed a couple of them below:

Interesting colorscheme, that´s for sure. The detailing is also excellent, but I just can´t figure out where to or how the cockpit attaches when it´s slid back.

Here is a shot of the method I used. The only downside to this approach is that the entire centre section of the fuselage also slides forward with the cockpit.

cockpit800.png

Interesting space fighter 'theDeanoRama', nice to see it too brick built also ! :wink:

Brick On Fight On ! :moar:

I won't be able to use this colour scheme but I am considering bricklink'ing for a few of the elements I am shy on for this and putting it together. I can probably pull this off in whites and reds though (have plenty in the way of those 2 colours). I picked these particular colours just to set it apart from a lot of common colours used. I'm thinking there wouldn't be much of a swooshable factor to this model, some of the connections may not hold up to active play such as the forward hard point supporting structure. It would do well as a static model in a diorama though .... hmmmm .... diorama .... will have to think on this :grin:

Edited by theDeanoRama

I noticed this morning that i had a piece that LDD would remove upon loading. This was the tap to microphone I used in the greebling, I've redone that section of greebling and uploaded a newer version as of a few minutes ago. The file on MOCPages now loads error free.

First off, welcome to EB/Sci-Fi Forum.

This is a pretty nifty build!

Like previously mentioned the cockpit action is sweet,

I'm also a big fan of how you did those engine intakes - I don't think I've seen that particular configuration before :thumbup:

I like many others would love to see this in real life - even if it is in boring 'standard' colours :wink:

Also I enjoyed your backstory/write up - " MK1 MDC (Mass Driver Autocannon)" - a little Wing Command inspired nomenclature ? :sweet:

Thanks folks! :blush:

I did take my inspiration for the Mass Driver from WC, but I upscaled the resulting damage a bit :tongue:

I am planning on bricking this out and have been playing with colour schemes within LDD and running them through LDD Manager looking for a scheme that works within available colours without looking too horrific. Then I'll have to hit up bricklink for a few of the elements I know I don't have in my collection. Once I come up with the final scheme I'll pop up a pic or two of my final colour rendition.

Edited by theDeanoRama

So after a lot of colour flipping, this is what I've settled on based on available colours - next step is inventorying and bricklinking the holes left:

compo.jpg

As shown in LDD:

finalcolour800.png

Download:

HeliosFinal.lxf

Edited by theDeanoRama

Pretty beautiful, especially seeing as you had to rely on existing colors. Also, this new colorscheme brings out some parts I had passed over before without noticing them, like that gun on top.