Noahs-Dad

10229 Winter Village - when will it be retired

Was going to buy 10229 Winter Village, but was hoping to leave it a year or so.

Does anyone know what the availability of this set is going to be like. Is it likely to be around for next Xmas at lego.com?

I'm worried it might be retired and nobody wants to pay 2 or 3 x the RRP on ebay.

I never claim to know anything for sure since I don't control release dates. But I would suspect that set to be available at least another year since it just came out. I think the Toy Shoppe might have just been discontinued? which it is the older of the current 4 Winter Village sets. The Bakery would probably be the next to go, then the Post Office, then the Cottage meaning you should have plenty of time to pick it up. But it will probably only be for sale around the holidays. Don't quote me on anything since I try to buy everything I want when it comes out so I don't have to worry about it being discontinued.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to help out.

I would get it now if you can swing it. If you're hoping that by waiting till next year it will be cheaper, don't count on it. It would most likely return next year, but only for months at a time(including this initial release). Before replying, I checked to see if 10222 Post Office was available, it's not. Typically, they re-release the previous years set around the holidays. I haven't seen the 10199 Toy Shop or 10216 Bakery on S@H.

Basically, chances are that it will be available sometime next year, but I wouldn't put off buying it on the chance it will be.

I just bought and built this the other night. It really is a great set. A nice addition to the series, even with the slight mundane torso choices. A few are big repeats in the City line.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Thanks guys.

I noticed Winter Toy Shop was no longer on sale anywhere including Lego's site. I managed to pick it BNIB on ebay for £60 recently, so was happy with that. If anyone needs the Winter Toy Shop, I'd suggest picking it up on Ebay or Amazon if you can get it for about £60 - £70 as it is definetly going to be at inflated prices soon.

I bought Winter Bakery 10216 and Winter Post Office 10222, both for £50ish from the LEGO website in the last month. I agree these look like they could be getting retired before long.

I will probably wait and see what offers LEGO provide over the next month and pick up Winter Village 10229 from them direct.

My intention is to use all these sets, to create a North Pole environment, by building them on several white 32 x 32 bases and a couple of green 32 x 32 bases. Throw in a red/white North Pole stick, build a simple custom Reindeer stable (using brown horses or old style dogs), a few Toy Parcel's and Elf like minifigs with short legs, and a Christmas train and it's very North Pole-ish I think.

Christmas Holiday Train 10173 would be a great addition to any North Pole set, but I'm going to buy several of the small Christmas Train 40034 sets, because at £4 from the LEGO website when your getting the trailer like connection, thats just fab and a cheap but cute alternative. A few seats can easily be thrown in for the kid minifigs, its very and easily customisable.

Before replying, I checked to see if 10222 Post Office was available, it's not. Typically, they re-release the previous years set around the holidays. I haven't seen the 10199 Toy Shop or 10216 Bakery on S@H.

How did you check? I see three available right now: Bakery, Post Office and Cottage, after searching for "Winter Village". This tracks with Toy Shop, Bakery and Post Office being available last year.

It seems they'll keep three sets alive each winter: The two most recent previous offerings in conjunction with each year's newest addition, with one dropping off. This year we saw the addition of the Cottage and the removal of Toy Shop. Next year we should see Post Office, Cottage and next year's new addition available, with Bakery dropping off.

If the series gets more popular/sells more, I could see them only bringing back the previous year's set in addition to the new one.

Noahs dad

I puchased the bakery and the the post office at 25 percent off at a Chicago IL lego Store in February after i got back into lego.

Lego shop at home also clearanced them but at a lower percetage. I remember seeing them in store and the website through spring. They brought both of them back in October. so you should have some time.

Bill

How did you check? I see three available right now: Bakery, Post Office and Cottage, after searching for "Winter Village". This tracks with Toy Shop, Bakery and Post Office being available last year.

It seems they'll keep three sets alive each winter: The two most recent previous offerings in conjunction with each year's newest addition, with one dropping off. This year we saw the addition of the Cottage and the removal of Toy Shop. Next year we should see Post Office, Cottage and next year's new addition available, with Bakery dropping off.

If the series gets more popular/sells more, I could see them only bringing back the previous year's set in addition to the new one.

Well, according to the S@H I checked, and one of the local LEGO stores, they're only selling 10229. So, I guess you're a lucky one.

Legocrazy81 - when you click on the link in my post, do you not see all three? That would be odd - and that's the only S@H that I know of. I wasn't aware that the brand stores were only stocking the Cottage.

Legocrazy81 - when you click on the link in my post, do you not see all three? That would be odd - and that's the only S@H that I know of. I wasn't aware that the brand stores were only stocking the Cottage.

Hmm, that's strange. I wonder why TLG doesn't have them listed with 10229... Also, now that I think about it, I did 10222 Post Office but not the previous two.

Winter Village discussion belongs in the Town forum. Moving....

Hmm, that's strange. I wonder why TLG doesn't have them listed with 10229... Also, now that I think about it, I did 10222 Post Office but not the previous two.

I guess that depends on where you look - all three of them are available under seasonal, for instance. Also exclusives.

EDIT: buildings, too.

Edited by vynsane

They are all available except for the Toy Shop. The Bakery shows up with a "Back Again!" Tag. But as far as I know, they've never stopped selling it. It certainly showed up every time I've looked at S@H.

The Bakery shows up with a "Back Again!" Tag. But as far as I know, they've never stopped selling it. It certainly showed up every time I've looked at S@H.

As far as I can tell, the "Back Again!" tag refers to it being available in previous years, not having been sold out and becoming available again.

10229 Winter Cottage is sold out now, bummer! Thought I'd snag it after Xmas, on sale or Double VIP points or something. They'll bring it back next October?

10229 Winter Cottage is sold out now, bummer! Thought I'd snag it after Xmas, on sale or Double VIP points or something.

Keep checking, sold out at the moment doesn't mean it's gone forever. It could be back in stock tomorrow or the next day. I'd be shocked if they actually ran out of such a new set, especially over a week before Christmas.

This is what I'm thinking. I got the Bakery this year (and managed to pick up the Toy Shop for £65 on ebay), and plan to get the Post Office and Cottage next year.

I've been looking at getting these sets, and I'd also like to avoid the huge aftermarket markup. The Lego site has the Winter Village Post Office marked as "retired" while the Winter Village Bakery is simply "sold out." I also noticed that none of the other Winter Village sets are listed. Does anyone with more knowlege than me know if any of these sets will be available this year at Christmas?

http://shop.lego.com...st-Office-10222

http://shop.lego.com...ge-Bakery-10216

The Bakery and the post office are a few years old. If the Post Office is officially retired, then the bakery probably is as well, as it is older by a year. We should see more of the Winter Cottage, plus a new set as we get closer to Christmas.

I've been looking at getting these sets, and I'd also like to avoid the huge aftermarket markup. The Lego site has the Winter Village Post Office marked as "retired" while the Winter Village Bakery is simply "sold out." I also noticed that none of the other Winter Village sets are listed. Does anyone with more knowlege than me know if any of these sets will be available this year at Christmas?

http://shop.lego.com...st-Office-10222

http://shop.lego.com...ge-Bakery-10216

The Winter Village Post Office and the Winter Village Cottage will both be rereleased on October 1st. with Winter Village Marked, The Winter Toy Shop and The Winter Village Bakery have both been retired!

The Winter Village Post Office and the Winter Village Cottage will both be rereleased on October 1st. with Winter Village Marked, The Winter Toy Shop and The Winter Village Bakery have both been retired!

Oh sweet, I picked up the Bakery as a prize last year. It was my first Winter Village set and I like it, even if snow has no right to be where I live, especially around Christmas. I then ordered the Cottage recently when S@H were clearing them out at 20% off. Now I will be able to get a hold on the Post Office without paying exorbitant after market prices, just the ridiculous S@H prices and delivery charges.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to keep on the lookout for these later this year. Do you know if they sell these are retail stores like Target, or just at the Lego store?

The Winter Cottage was available on Walmart.com website, but I don't think so anymore. I know its still available on Amazon (for now) at full retail of $99.99 US.

The winter Village Bakery is still listed on Lego.com (US currency) but its status is sold out.

I have seen the Winter Village Cottage available on Amazon, Target and Toys R Us at retail price. I went to Lego.com and the Bakery and Post Office are listing as "retired" as of Aug 4th (today).

Unfortunately it looks like they aren't re-releasing the post office for some reason, it's listed as retired on the Lego website. I was hoping to be able to buy this without paying the stupid huge aftermarket markup... oh well.