CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I just bought lake town chase and when I got there they had all of them on the shelves so I couldn't pass them up. Ended up coming home with mirkwood elf army and the dul guldur ambush. Can't wait to build all of these!

With all you guys ahving got some of the sets, when will you start posting pictures? :grin:

With all you guys ahving got some of the sets, when will you start posting pictures? :grin:

Soon. Anything you'd like in particular?

Soon. Anything you'd like in particular?

Not really, but if possible seeing Azog on his white warg would be cool.

Not really, but if possible seeing Azog on his white warg would be cool.

Yeah I've already had another friend ask for that. I'll get that for you in the morning. :sweet:

If those few people are Brick Show, they're wrong. Don't take their reviews with a grain of salt since most of the time they have no idea what they're talking about.

It is the same exact color as the SDCC version. I just got the set today. :)

Haha okay thanks for that, but It wasn't only brickshow. I've heard it from a couple other people as well, but those were likely only rumors! Thanks for the clarification!

Having built the sets 2/4, here are my opinions and comments.

DGA: Really nice design and was fun to build, would like to see DGB attached. Beorn is great even with his one head piece, his axe seems small and I would change it for a longer pole. The Gundabad orcs are nicely detailed and the hair w/ ears just feels right.

MEA: Thranduil looks okay but his torso printing seems lackluster, his crown was painted correctly unlike the prelims and set photos. He looks good complete with his cape but I wish his printing was more metallic, it looks like snake skin. The elves arent bad but not much improvement over last year's Mirkwood Elf. The tree was a fun build and I liked it but the wall was underwhelming. If you compare the size of MEA walls to DGA, it is pitiful. I think the wall needs to be taller and I played around with the idea to have the tree canopy hollowed out so its a hidden lookout. The new Elf shields look really good when seen in person. I think Lego has a good idea with the modular design and it is great that the walls can be positioned in several different angles/ways.

I think this wave is better than the first Hobbit and may be the best of LOTR/Hobbit sets.

Wow, that combination looks a lot better than expected :thumbup: I'm glad Azog's tan instead of white, the latter would have made him look far too pale (he is certainly pale, but not that pale). And if I remember correctly, he didn't have the exact same colour as the warg in the movie too. Putting him next to the Great Goblin and Gollum would be weird though, those two should have been light flesh in order to be a) more accurate to the movie and b) make Azog's colour more special among the villains :grin:

Edited by Lego-Freak

Ordered 1x of everything plus an extra MEA from TRU.com with the SAVE15 code. Order is shipped and on the way; only cost $180, which is pretty sweet.

Seriously, why does tlg treat the costumers on both sides of the big water so differently in both prices and releas date? Are they selling more in the US?

I really like the look of that Azog on the white Warg... mind you his colour has never really bothered me that much.

Ok, I have about 50 euros, what set do I buy? (When I can find them somewhere nearby). I think I want the MEA or LTC, but for the last one I need some more cash. Any suggestions, because I like them both!

Ok, I have about 50 euros, what set do I buy? (When I can find them somewhere nearby). I think I want the MEA or LTC, but for the last one I need some more cash. Any suggestions, because I like them both!

MEA's just better IMO. But I value minifigures over the sets themselves. LTC is a very nice model.

Argos having them now in the UK has got me really hopeful I can get them at the VIP event this Saturday.

For the sake of a week anyway I'd rather pick up the VIP points on them.