CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Is anybody else thinking that Radagast is a natural for the $12 set in next Hobbit wave? Assuming they would be willing to do a scene from AUJ in this wave, he could be in his home with the hedgehog on the exam table, with maybe even a giant spider. I'd wish for the bunny sled, but as far as I know there isn't a bunny mold outside of Friends, and those Friends bunnies just aren't Rhosgobel rabbits, no way.

Oh boy kermit is away from eurobricks for just one day and he has missed out on some action. Anyway since the barrel chase set scene was in the second movie how many sets besides the laketown will we possible get based on the 2nd installment of the movie?

I believe someone quoted a person saying that there was going to be at least 5 different sets for this movie, not including the Mirkwood set and Barrels from the last wave.

I believe someone quoted a person saying that there was going to be at least 5 different sets for this movie, not including the Mirkwood set and Barrels from the last wave.

There's no reliable basis for that, as far as I know. It's just one of those things that started getting repeated. There could be 4, 5, or 8 sets for all we know.

There's no reliable basis for that, as far as I know. It's just one of those things that started getting repeated. There could be 4, 5, or 8 sets for all we know.

In the Lego MTV video the rep is asked how many sets will be released and she says 5. She does seems a little unsure through the interview so this may or may not be a definitive answer, but its at least from a somewhat reputable source. Here is the link to the video:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/category/lego/

Edited by Deathleech

It's a lot like the MOS movie, there are people saying "finally, an update to the tired old Superman formula!" and there are people saying "these guys just don't get what makes Superman work." I think PJ genuinely loves the Hobbit and all of Middle-Earth, but he seems completely blind to the fact that his ideas don't always mesh well with JRRT's ideas.

With Man of Steel though, the film is one version of Superman's story, rather than an adaption like The Hobbit. I personally feel the former is justified, the latter, less so.

I'm still annoyed about Azog's claw, particularly as it can't hold anything and it's purely cosmetic. :sceptic:

It wouldn't annoy me quite as much if it was in proportion. Here's what I think Azog should look like:

Q051HUk.png

This is all true, but I disagree that this makes it "not really full of substance". It has lots of substance, it's just that it's a children's book and the substance is not in descriptions of battles or flowery prose, but a more subtle, lingering effect in your imagination and your psyche. I think it was fine for PJ and Co. to add things to the story, and of course they needed to flesh out the Dwarves because in the book most of them were very much non-characters. But I just don't agree with the direction that they went in a lot of cases. It's a lot like the MOS movie, there are people saying "finally, an update to the tired old Superman formula!" and there are people saying "these guys just don't get what makes Superman work." I think PJ genuinely loves the Hobbit and all of Middle-Earth, but he seems completely blind to the fact that his ideas don't always mesh well with JRRT's ideas.

I dunno, some parts of the book just seem really vague or silly to me. Gandalf just disappears for several chapters and barely even tells us where he went. All of the dwarves in Thorin's company come off as extremely inept compared to other dwarves we see such as Gimli in LotR. They pretty much are rescued by other characters and Gandalf the entire book. The pacing of the book also seems off where a ton of stuff happens in the first half of the book in quick succession with little detail but then at the end we have a few chapters where the dwarves sit outside Erebor trying to figure out how to get in. I know that's the main part of the story but it just felt like the pacing was off. And without reading the appendices or LotR, the Hobbit by itself just doesn't seem to explain much.

I completely agree some of the stuff PJ added could of been done without or done differently though. Azog isn't even in the Hobbit book, he is only referenced in the past, but in the film(s) it appears he is going to have a much more promo any role. Why is that necessary? And why is the Goblin King physically this huge grotesque creature, but he has an extremely flamboyant attitude which is contradictory to how he looks? It's almost like slapstick comedy. These are just a few things I think Jackson could of done differently or handled better.

Edited by Deathleech

I don't know if there's any precedent for this, but IF (and I think it's a good chance) that the Mirkwood & Barrels sets are "re-released" as part of this upcoming wave of Hobbit sets, do people suppose that the Barrels set may be made available to all retailers? Just a thought.

I think the claw looks great even if it's quite long :wink: I'm just glad TLG is not afraid anymore of using new hand moulds, a couple of years ago we only had regular hands and pirate hooks and now we have Davy Jones' crab claw, boxing gloves etc. :wub:

I agree, Deathleech: slapstick comedy is the second worst trait of Peter Jackson's movie adaptations. I still can't forgive him how he portrayed Gimli in the movie! Such an honourable, thoughtful character - reduced to 'comedic relief'.

The worst trait only entered in the Hobbit: disregard for physics and subsequent shift from the feeling of fantasy with historic feel to cartoonish CGI action sequences. Dwarves falling hundreds of feet without a scratch, trees breaking under the assault of wargs like dry twigs (but not under the combined weight of 14 characters when hanging uprooted horizontally over a cliff),... I still consider An Unexpected Journey my fourth favourite movie of all time, but it did not rival the quality of the LotR adaptations. Not in the slightest. I am already mentally preparing for CGI elves chasing CGI dwarves in barrels, fight-scenes between CGI Azog and CGI elves and a ridiculous amount of scenes in which characters jump down from heights that should clearly kill them. Fortunately, Ian McKellen (spelling?) can save the movie with yet another great performance as Gandalf.

Last year, I couldn't wait for the Hobbit. I watched the trailers dozens of times, purchased any print magazine talking about the Hobbit, checked Eurobricks, The One Ring and any related web source daily. This year, I watched the trailer three times, and that's it.

Due to this, I am less interested in anything concerning the Hobbit, including LEGO sets. I loved An Unexpected Gathering, and I would probably purchase a well-made Erebor or anything with Radagast (although I'd always be reminded of that horrible bunny-sled chase in front of a green screen). Still, if the Lake-town chase is any indication of what's to come, I will pass on much of this wave. The set looks rather uninteresting and lacks 'displayability'. This is hardly the fault of LEGO, of course. The Hobbit simply doesn't include locations comparable to LotR, after all.

Oh boy kermit is away from eurobricks for just one day and he has missed out on some action. Anyway since the barrel chase set scene was in the second movie how many sets besides the laketown will we possible get based on the 2nd installment of the movie?

Beorn and Mirkwood sets! And I'm going to guess some Dol Guldur side plot will happen pre-Laktown too. So two, possibly three :)

I bought The Wizard Battle, The Council of Elrond and Battle at the Black Gate sets at my local Argos store yesterday afternoon and I must say they are all fantastic! The Wizard Battle is a rather substantial set for £11.99, and the inclusion of Saruman makes it even more worthwhile. The architecture and colour scheme of The Council of Elrond set is absolutely stunning so I do hope LEGO decide to release another Rivendell set at some point in the near future, whether it be for The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit. The inclusion of two exclusive minifigures, in the form of Elrond and Arwen, is an additional bonus. Battle at the Black Gate is a very nice set indeed, and the Mouth of Sauron and Gandalf the White are great additions to my Middle Earth minifigure collection, plus the Great Eagle is very nice! Overall, I'm very impressed with all three of my purchases and I think LEGO have done an excellent job! As I spent over £100 at Argos I received a voucher for £15 off my next purchase, which will be Pirate Ship Ambush. But before that I will be buying The Tower of Orchanc which I am extremely excited about!

I don't know if there's any precedent for this, but IF (and I think it's a good chance) that the Mirkwood & Barrels sets are "re-released" as part of this upcoming wave of Hobbit sets, do people suppose that the Barrels set may be made available to all etailersm? Just a thought.

Personally i cannot see these sets being re-released, I imagine Lego had some long discussions regarding the content of the next 2 movies, so they don't get caught out again.

That's probably because it's made of clay.

Council of Elrond is such a delightful set, stunning use of colours - more sets like this please!

If we're lucky a Lothlorien set will give probably a very similar product; Mirkwood too maybe, but its colours would be a little darker and foreboding.

I just hope there will be some awesome-looking sets! With some awesome figs offcourse. I think that Azog fig is going to be in a set. He is a great fig, but I am not paying 1500 euros for him, 100 is pretty much the top, with a great set around him offcourse :tongue: .

The worst trait only entered in the Hobbit: disregard for physics and subsequent shift from the feeling of fantasy with historic feel to cartoonish CGI action sequences.

I wouldn't say it entered only in The Hobbit. It has lurked in the background ever since the Fellowship, The Hobbit just really brought it forward. Fellowship already had the Moria staircase sequence and there were, of course, all the Legolas acrobatics throughout the movies.

But I do admit I'm afraid to watch AUJ again... I saw it twice on the premiere day and felt rather good about it, would rank it the second after Fellowship, above TTT and RotK. But I know that for that feeling I did turn a blind eye to much of the mindless action sequences (well, the second time I did sleep through some of the Goblintown sequence) and stupid characterisations. I fear I won't be able to do it again, with rewatchings. I already felt rather numb about the DoS trailer, which is the first time Jackson's Tolkien adaptation trailer has ever left me cold. And I've been watching them repeatedly since the internet preview of spring 2000.

Lake Town Chase looks nice enough set, and good parts pack for reddish brown, but like many other Hobbit and LotR Lego sets it seems somewhat... dull, bland, colourless? Not necessarily a problem for us AFOLs, but might not sell that well for kids. I hope we get a bit more colourful sets too (like Unexpected Gathering or Rivendell).

Just received and constructed the Council of Elrond. It's a lovely, elegant little set witha really wonderful colour palette. I took out the flip feature, the weapons rack and the turntables under the chairs. I switched those for the 2x2 tile with central stud to deal with the chairs on the angle, and a simple 2x2 plate under the one that's straight. I might get another without the minifigs in order to get more chairs and extend the cloister at the back, but they're not essential - it's a very balanced set as it is, and a design triumph to capture some of the feel of Rivendell in such a confined setting.

I agree, the Lake Town Chase looks extremely bland - more of the Unexpected Gathering type sets please! :-)

I agree, the Lake Town Chase looks extremely bland - more of the Unexpected Gathering type sets please! :-)

If we are tlaking TYPE of sets, the laketown is in the same chategory as bag end. The "doll house" stye, where on top and ffrom the front it is a complete structure, but from the back it's open for play. Obviosuly not as complex but it follows the same style.

Personally i cannot see these sets being re-released, I imagine Lego had some long discussions regarding the content of the next 2 movies, so they don't get caught out again.

They don't actually have to re-release them. Neither set has been retired. They will just keep them available at the same time as the second Hobbit wave is released. Just as many of the first wave LotR sets are still available. The barrel set may sell out at the exclusive retailers, and not be restocked. But it will probably remain available from Lego stores and S@H until at least the spring. That way they do synch those sets up with the second movie. (Plus hey probably do have a bit more remaining stock of those 2 sets since they weren't featured in the first film.)

In the Lego MTV video the rep is asked how many sets will be released and she says 5. She does seems a little unsure through the interview so this may or may not be a definitive answer, but its at least from a somewhat reputable source. Here is the link to the video:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/category/lego/

I took her response as a likely sign that there are 5 main boxed sets. And then on second thought she was not sure about things like polybag sets or maybe an exclusive. So a reasonable guess is probably either 5 or 6 boxed sets (if 6 one being a retailer exclusive) and probably 2 Polybags. Which matches up pretty well with other release waves.