pranas

Disney buys out Lucasfilm

If enough time has passed to re-start Spiderman then enough time has passed for a Star Wars re-boot but (unfortunately?) that's not going to happen yet.

I think in about 50 years when Disney is running out of ideas, they'll re-boot the whole star wars saga.

By the way, I was thinking about it today and I was wondering if anyone else is actually not looking foward to 2015? I think lego my go overboard on the Episode VII sets and make the summer wave for 2015 all Episode VII sets, like they did back in 2008 when the CW came out. I'm also concerned about my wallet that year, since I'm assuming we'll get Avengers 2 sets and Justice League sets, I may just have to start saving up now! I guess I'll just have to wait and see though.

Re-boot? Star Wars is the one universe that doesn't need a re-boot. There is way too much material that already exists and new material being created all the time. Star Wars isn't Spiderman, Star Trek, etc., it's more popular today and gaining in popularity.

Star Trek wasn't a reboot.

Not to be abrasive but when you start creating alternate universes and timelines, it might as well be a reboot. Also, I don't really care too much for Star Trek and although I watched it, I didn't really pay too much attention to all the details.

According to this site, Disney is trying to purchase Hasbro as well: http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-purchase-hasbro/?_r=true

This seems quite dubious to me, I mean if this turns out to be true, Disney owns both Lucasfilm and Hasbro, so maybe they're going to keep the SW license for themselves and have TLG contract out of the agreement (if that's even legally possible, I don't know). Though I'm probably just painting too black a picture...

I'd think the Lego Star Wars license is too profitable for either party to end it without good reason. And with Clone Wars still going, 3D releases of five films coming up and completely new ones on the horizon, it will probably remain so for the forseeable future.

According to this site, Disney is trying to purchase Hasbro as well: http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-purchase-hasbro/?_r=true

This seems quite dubious to me, I mean if this turns out to be true, Disney owns both Lucasfilm and Hasbro, so maybe they're going to keep the SW license for themselves and have TLG contract out of the agreement (if that's even legally possible, I don't know). Though I'm probably just painting too black a picture...

I see no reason they'd prefer releasing Star Wars building toys under Hasbro's Kre-O brand, which has no real appeal in and of itself (all its fans really come from the licenses carried by the brand) than keep their relations with LEGO, a brand that's practically become a household name with a reputation for quality. Especially when so many people associate LEGO Star Wars not only with quality toys, but also with strong, humor-driven media like the video games and TV specials.

If this means getting a new battlefront and cheaper sets, I will approve it. (like if anybody cared about my opinion)

Michael Arndt confirmed to write screenplay for Episode VII right here

Errr.... I don't know what to think about this.

I hate to say it, but I'd almost rather have Lucas write the screenplay. At the moment though I have no idea how things will turn out, so perhaps this is a good choice? We'll just have to wait and see.

Errr.... I don't know what to think about this.

I hate to say it, but I'd almost rather have Lucas write the screenplay. At the moment though I have no idea how things will turn out, so perhaps this is a good choice? We'll just have to wait and see.

The guy has Oscar-Winning under his name. George Lucas has personally written only two watchable Star Wars films. Stop being so cynical.

The Disney to buy Hasbro rumor was debunked by Hasbro officials.

Now on topic, hopefully we get some vehicles that actually correspond to the time. All the original trilogy vehiclees were rustbuckets, whereas prequel trilogy vehicles looked a whole lot better. Same goes for KoTOR, KoTOR II and TOR. Lego, I WANT AN EBON HAWK SET!!!!!!

I would save my comments until I see the new star wars movies by disney. To me it could go either way, Disney has made good and bad productions.

The guy has Oscar-Winning under his name. George Lucas has personally written only two watchable Star Wars films. Stop being so cynical.

Yeah, because having Oscars means everything. :hmpf:

I'll be cynical all I want. Don't tell me to change my opinion or tone about this. I have just as much a right to like someone's work as you have to dislike it.

Edited by Walter

Yeah, because having Oscars means everything. :hmpf:

I'll be cynical all I want. Don't tell me to change my opinion or tone about this. I have just as much a right to like someone's work as you have to dislike it.

And therefore I have the right to tell you to stop all I want, under your rule. I'm not arresting you, I'm not telling you it's illegal to express your mind, I'm just saying your perspective is skewed by your negativity.

I certainly agree an Oscar doesn't mean everything, but generally speaking Oscar-nominated films are good films, no matter how biased the nominations can be. The guy wrote the final Toy Story film, which most people, including those "unfounded" Oscar jurors, found to be of the highest quality. If you think otherwise that's fine, but hear this:

I can change my opinion any time I want, you could even change it. I don't put emotional attachment onto my perspective because it can be wrong, and history tells us that of people. I try to act on what I know, which is that Disney can create quality films, and generally treats its licenses with care. The Muppet's The Avengers, Pixar films have shown them to have top-quality abilities, those that exceed the short filmography of George Lucas. Most auteurs learn from their mistakes and their triumphs, George Lucas created Star Wars as an ideas man, but now it is time for him to learn from his mistakes and pass it on to the triumphant Walt Disney Corporation. Under a group of well-minded people Star Wars has a lot of potential. If you have reason to believe otherwise, change my opinion, but at the end of the day the only way we will know whether there was any worth in making Episode 7 is by watching it.

And that's exactly why I said at the end of my original comment "We'll just have to wait and see"

I really think you misread my original comment and over interpreted my negativity. I merely stated that I was unsure of the original choice and would almost feel more content with George Lucas writing it. I was mainly stating that I really didn't know how well this man would be for the job of writing a Star-Wars film, and I wasn't entirely sure of my feelings on the subject. You make it sound as if I completely wrote the man off and said it would be a terrible film. I didn't say anything like that, and my Oscars remark was more about my dislike of them then my dislike of the writer. I'm sure he can write a technically brilliant film, with amazing characters and a heartfelt story. Toy Story 3 was good and all, I just wonder if he can truly write a film that works as Star Wars and feels like a classic serial type film that the original really was. I have some faith in Disney and Lucasfilms, just not as much as you at the moment.

And maybe my perspective is just a little skewed by some negativity, but after three prequel films that everybody hated what the heck do you expect from us fans? I'd like to have more faith though, and your examples you gave with Disney were good points.

Edited by Walter

And that's exactly why I said at the end of my original comment "We'll just have to wait and see"

I really think you misread my original comment and over interpreted my negativity. I merely stated that I was unsure of the original choice and would almost feel more content with George Lucas writing it. I was mainly stating that I really didn't know how well this man would be for the job of writing a Star-Wars film, and I wasn't entirely sure of my feelings on the subject. You make it sound as if I completely wrote the man off and said it would be a terrible film. I didn't say anything like that, and my Oscars remark was more about my dislike of them then my dislike of the writer. I'm sure he can write a technically brilliant film, with amazing characters and a heartfelt story. Toy Story 3 was good and all, I just wonder if he can truly write a film that works as Star Wars and feels like a classic serial type film that the original really was. I have some faith in Disney and Lucasfilms, just not as much as you at the moment.

And maybe my perspective is just a little skewed by some negativity, but after three prequel films that everybody hated what the heck do you expect from us fans? I'd like to have more faith though, and your examples you gave with Disney were good points.

Sorry about that, I obviously over-read a small statement.

I'm pretty confident about the writer though, what makes "Toy Story" so good is its universality much like Star Wars. The biggest issue with the prequels was story balance and the quality of the dialog, something I'm hoping confidently the writer can overcome. George Lucas' concept was great, and I feel more secure with him doing the rough outline. Hopefully the feel of the films will retain without the "Jar-Jar" in the room.

Edited by the last chronicler

Reports are flooding the web, the 3-D re-releases are canceled!

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/28/star-wars-3d-releases-reportedly-cancelled?abthid=5106eb61be9c51f151000036

It's a little frustrating that these new sets coming out for at least the next two years are going to be too prequel-based. :( I know we are getting a very nice rancor pit but now it seems pointless to have such an Attack of the Clones based wave of sets without the film... I'm not against Clone Wars or prequel era stuff but I'm always in preference of the classic releases!! :)

Reports are flooding the web, the 3-D re-releases are canceled!

http://ca.ign.com/ar...e9c51f151000036

It's a little frustrating that these new sets coming out for at least the next two years are going to be too prequel-based. :( I know we are getting a very nice rancor pit but now it seems pointless to have such an Attack of the Clones based wave of sets without the film... I'm not against Clone Wars or prequel era stuff but I'm always in preference of the classic releases!! :)

It's dead Jim!

I think there is a more important takeaway from this decision, that will probably effect what sets we see in the near to mid future. It seems to strongly indicate that Disney Lucas is much more focused on going forward to new stuff, not simply the old. I know many of the purists will hate this, but I suspect that after the Summer wave that we know about, SW Lego sets will probably start swinging more and more towards newer properties. Expect a stronger TCW presence in the line up, at least until it can be replaced by newer subjects. We will probably still see some classic subject OT sets, at least the main primary stuff (MF, ATAT, Darth Vader Tie, etc), but pretty much anything in the PT that can be shifted more towards TCW most likely will be. Probably a few more sets pimping alternate media projects, such as Yoda Chronicles, SWTOR and whatever video game they release next.