pranas

Disney buys out Lucasfilm

Seriously, I really don't get the early "fears" and "concerns" I've read. Have people acquired Nostradamic abilities or have travelled in a DeLorean or TARDIS and have seen the catastrophic future of the Star Wars franchise under the helm of Disney? :wacko:

I still say give Disney a chance. Save your criticisms when there is already something concrete to actually criticize A.K.A. the movies Episode 7, 8, 9...qm.gif

qm.gif

Thinking about it today, I agree completely. We'll just have to wait a few years.

About the fears of some of my fellow OT fans:

I'm not replying to any particular post, but I don't get the worry that Disney won't be able to recreate the feel of the OT. It's not as if any of the OT fans really thinks the existing producer - Lucas - has done anything to capture that feel in almost thirty years. If Disney does this well, great! If Disney manages to do even worse than the PT and CW, then the attitude of the OT fans doesn't change.

Worst cast scenario is that Disney completely destroys the storyline, makes the novels non-canon, focuses on the magical aspect of the Force by expanding the Mortis story...

Yet no matter what Disney does, it's not as if they can prevent us from watching and preferring the old movies and books, just like we already do. On the other hand, there's plenty that they can do to make improved new movies that we would enjoy. For the OT fan, the only possible change to Star Wars is an improvement.

I can't say what I am, probably a bit more of an underground OT fan.

He's taken the cash and shares package.......signed it all over to Disney, so there is nothing we can do except start coming up with ideas for them to read and think.....hey, that's a profitable idea ? :wink:

Should the moderators start a new topic.....what films and related LEGO sets should be made ? :wink: (yeah, I know there is a dream list topic, but this is different.....the SW world is going to expand for sure.)

That sounds like a great idea. I agree with every other fanboy on the internet right now that Joss Whedon should direct the films of the Thrawn trilogy. That is all for now...

To add more salt to the wound, we will never see the 20th Century Fox

again with future Star Wars.

So get ready to see this intro to set you up with the galaxy far, far away.

-Omi

The Avengers had the Paramount logo/intro. That is all.

EDIT: I have no idea if this has been mentioned yet. But Princess Leia is now a Disney princess

Edited by DarthR2-D2

Why would Disney need to distribute future films under Fox when they can do it themselves and without paying another studio to do it?

-Omi

Sorry, I misread that. I was thinking "Star Wars in the future" and you wrote "future Star Wars." :blush:

I disagree i Heard from a Producer at Disney who spoke off the record that they have aquired everything that lucasarts owned Indiana, SW, CW, everything. Not just that but they also aquired the GLOBAL copyrights in europe, Australia & New Zeland. They had expired and now disney owns them for the next ten years.

Basically George has been trusting one or two individual companies or whover overseas to merchandise but since they lapsed not only did they Aquire LucasArts but the ability to market and sell it globally with running into the EU (european union) copyright laws and restrictions where they are more lax then american copyrights.

This is utter and complete nonsense. European copyright laws protect films for seventy years after the director's death.

I'm really curious as to how these next few movies are going to turn out. Most post ROTJ books, comics, games etc. involve at least one of the members of the main crew; whether it be Han, Leia, Chewie or, most commonly, Luke; so any movie could not necessarily be based off of any of these, because the actors are waaaaay too old. Regardless of how they do it, it better be really kickass :wink:

I so want SWBF III now :drool:.

Don't make me cry. I've wanted that game for so long. :sad:

Yes please I need that game

Edited by spzero

I'm a little surprised at all the negativity and pessimism here on EB. I say let somebody else have a go at Star Wars. Lucas clearly hasn't cared about it in decades. Disney has done well by their Pixar and Marvel acquisitions. Besides, it's not like the franchise can get any WORSE, right? After the PT, the bar is pretty freaking low.

Disney handled Pixar well, I must say (except for Cars 2 :sick: ), but they did not handle Marvel very well, as evident from Thor. :thumbdown:

And yes, it can get worse than the PT. :wink:

It sounds like there is a good chance that the next 6 (yes, you read that right, s-i-x) Star Wars movies will feature Luke Skywalker in his thirties or forties. Obviously Mark is in his sixties, so they would need a new face to play Luke. I, for one, am a bit disappointed that they won't just start a completely new trilogy with brand new characters. Something in the far future would have been cool to see. And no Zahn trilogy it seems. Sorry kiddies.

Link:

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-luke-skywalker/207631/

And Robominer, how can you diss Thor like that? It kicked megablocks compared to IM2 and Captain America.

It sounds like there is a good chance that the next 6 (yes, you read that right, s-i-x) Star Wars movies will feature Luke Skywalker in his thirties or forties. Obviously Mark is in his sixties, so they would need a new face to play Luke. I, for one, am a bit disappointed that they won't just start a completely new trilogy with brand new characters. Something in the far future would have been cool to see. And no Zahn trilogy it seems. Sorry kiddies.

They could always go farther into the future so that the storyline matches up with the current ages of the original actors.

They could, but check the link, it doesn't sound like that. Plus, there is no way in hell Ford will agree to do another SW film. Plus, do we really want to see Carrie Fisher in the slave Princess Leia outfit now?

Huzzah! Glad to see this mythos handed down to new directors with fresh perspectives.

Plus if they work out the merchandising rights, maybe we'll get more Indiana Jones as well. Disney would really have to get someone talented to make people appreciate another actor portraying Indy, but it could be done.

The thought of Pixar working on Star Wars, Indy or any Marvel project would be incredible.

Great news for those that like Disneyworld as well. Avatar is coming to Animal Kingdom in 2014 (I think) and they've already said that they will expand on the Star Wars universe at their parks.

They could, but check the link, it doesn't sound like that. Plus, there is no way in hell Ford will agree to do another SW film. Plus, do we really want to see Carrie Fisher in the slave Princess Leia outfit now?

I read the link, but the unofficial Lucas biographer who is 'spilling the beans' must have read those outlines in the '80s! That's no clear sign of anything at all. If it was still Lucas with 100% control, then maybe we would end up with those movies. But it's a whole different ballgame now, and I wouldn't put much stock in that article.

EDIT: I have no idea if this has been mentioned yet. But Princess Leia is now a Disney princess

602635_521873204506632_1720637814_n.jpg

Yes, yes she is.

Personally, I'm just a little bit curious to see what Disney would bring for us. Still, it does seem exciting to see the release of upcoming episodes about the Star Wars saga. So in the meantime, it's best to be patient.

That New Disney Princess picture is great. :laugh:

This video make me laugh a lot :iamded_lol: :iamded_lol: , thanks 'Oky'

Thanks for sharing Oky! :laugh:

You're welcome. I'm glad there are some who still have a sense of humor around here. :sweet:

As for what logo will be shown before the new movies, does it really matter? Sure, the Fox logo went well with the theme song, but who cares what comes before the movie as long as the movie itself is good. :wink:

As long as the episodes 7, 8 and 9 have R2-D2 and C3PO in them, it will still be Starwars to me.

And having a good story line would be a major bonus.

This is utter and complete nonsense. European copyright laws protect films for seventy years after the director's death.

I dont know who you are but i'm not talking about the movies i'm talking about merchandising rights, and as for complete and utter nonsense, since i work at disney i heard this FIRSTHAND from one of the higher up directors.

Still don't know how I feel about this. HAS to be a good story, but with so much EU out there picking out something that nobody has read or seen in games or comics is going to be a very hard task. There is so much rich lore since Zahn wrote the Thrawn trilogy. If there was three movies I would go to see it would be those. Tweak them around the edges, but there is plenty of great action and intrigue.

New actors would have to be cast you would think. The fan outcry would be enormous if there was no Solo or Skywalker in the new movies.

Only positive...more SW Lego and that can't be a bad thing.

Yes, yes she is.

LOL :head_back:

I hope good movies are filmed.

One reason Star Wars VII will be awesome:

NEWS: The big news is that Disney has acquired Lucasfilm, and announced production of Star Wars Episode VII, to be released in 2015. We are not kidding. We had to check it wasn't April too.

The good news is: We should be finished with Episode VI around then, and will be able to move smoothly on to parodying Episode VII. If the new movie sucks, we will redeem it. On the other hand, if the new movie is awesome, it will be awesome. You can't lose.

:sweet:

I haven't read a lot of the previous posts since it was 8 pages for me. But here goes..

I think this is a good idea. I'm not a huge SW fan anyway and I only got into SW LEGO this year, but I think getting some fresh ideas could be good. All we can do is wait for more news and see how the movies turn out. Yes, I'm sure it is a big cash cow so they want a piece of that pie. As far as LEGO sets go, that will depend on how the movies turn out. A lot of people are buying the PT and CW sets, so it might not matter as much.

I agree that the original cast would be "too old" for the parts now, but they were trying to perfect the CGI technology back in X3: Last Stand to give Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellen a much younger look. No it wasn't perfect, but it is plausible to do that. I would prefer them to get new actors though in the long run and maybe bring in new characters. But I read that they wanted to continue the adventures of Han/Luke/Leia, probably to cash in on familiar stories already.

EDIT: I just read this article stating that Lucas had an idea for Ep VII back when they made the originals and that he wanted Mark Hamill to be in it because it was set 30 years into the future from Ep VI. Thirty years from 1983 is 2013, which is near 2015, so maybe they will reuse the original actors if they are game.

Edited by TheLegoDr

So Disney just bought out Lucasfilm for a cool four BILLION dollars!

http://thenextweb.co...cash-and-stock/

Also, Episode VII will come out in 2015.

And obviously that will mean LEGO sets for those movies.

I've got mixed feelings on this...

More Star Wars is always a good thing, in my mind. And a new Star Wars MOVIE! But...it's Disney. But then again, Disney has done well (so far) with Marvel. But still...

I hope they are the same quality disney might try and make them to fast and the quality will drop hopefully George Lucas will stop that from happening

I agree that the original cast would be "too old" for the parts now, but they were trying to perfect the CGI technology back in X3: Last Stand to give Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellen a much younger look. No it wasn't perfect, but it is plausible to do that.

no no no no no that was so terrible looking I wanted to vomit. And it would be the same here.

As long as the episodes 7, 8 and 9 have R2-D2 and C3PO in them, it will still be Starwars to me.

:thumbup: :thumbup: