Sign in to follow this  
kciR

[MOC] Modular Diagon Alley (WIP)

As a Lego fan, I am slowly starting to enter some grey age again. I can easily without my bricks, but when sale hits in, I'm getting pumped up again.

Last weekend I saw the Diagon Alley set for €99, quite a bargain you should say, but because of my 'grey age' I left it on the self.

But ideas kept crawling through my mind to turn these buildings into some modular buildings.

For inspiration, I browsed through the Google and stumpled upon this site with some photos of the Harry Potter Tour in London.

So I opende up LDD and started building. As Ollivanders is one of the most iconic buildings of Diagon Alley, I started with this one.

I'm really pleased with the round windows (and the door in between). But I got stuck on the roof, so it's just 10217's Ollivanders roof for now.

Then I started with a rather common building for Diagon Alley, that I turned into Quality Quidditch Supplies.

Here are some printscreens straight from LDD (should try that render plug in sometime soon to make the pics a bit more attractive)

dawip2_zpsdd515bf9.jpg

dawip1_zpsffcc8402.jpg

dawip3_zps0c360749.jpg

As you can see I used a lot of bricks that are actually in 10217, as I wanted to experiment with the bricks in the set (of course I'll add the required parts from my own collection)

But I'm in doubt, does this moc have the potential to be brick build, if so I buy the official set this Saturday, or should I just leave it with the LDD..

In any case I would like to have some feedback on the build itselfs, especialy on the rooftops and the best colour for the Quidditch shop to go with the green.

Thanks in advance :classic:

I agree, Diagon Alley is an awesome set - that price is crazy good too! I would just buy it and sell it on if I could buy it for that much - there is a profit to be made there! haha

I love your MOC. The only thing I would do, in order to give it the detail of a modular, would be to work on the roof of the quidditch shop - it is a little plain and boring at the moment.

Other than that, great work! I hope to see this in bricks one day! (Or at least a good render :tongue: )

Your MOC of Diagon Alley looks great. I can't wait to see more progress. Ollivander's looks excellent, especially those beautiful windows. The colours for Quality Quidditch Supplies also look stunning. :wink:

In any case I would like to have some feedback on the build itselfs, especialy on the rooftops and the best colour for the Quidditch shop to go with the green.

I agree with Ferrik on all counts. The colours for Quality Quidditch Supplies look excellent as they are and I love how you have done the windows on Ollivander's.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I appreciate it a lot :classic:

Does anyone have a good idea for the roof(s)? I might watch the movie tonight, to see how they did the roofs in the movies.

So far it looks awesome. I am a huge HP fan, so this is right up my alley...get it.

Anyway, I think the sets look great. I loved the official set, but seeing MOCs at a different scale is brilliant. The windows look really well done and the color scheme works well for Diagon Alley.

I considered doing something similar, but who knows if I will get around to it.

Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see more.

It looks really good! I definitely think you should brick-build it.

In terms of colour for QQS, how about dark orange? LEGO used the colour on their own QQS set, and I don't think it would be bad next to the green, after all LEGO used it in combination with sand green. I think it would provide a warmer feeling to the shop than the grey currently does.

Apart from that, it's great! Would you do more LDD Diagon Alley buildings? It'd be great to see a collection, especially of this quality! :classic:

Thanks again for the comments!

I bought the set yesterday afternoon, the last one in stock, so I was just on time. It's a lovely set, as you all said, with a lot of detail and it seems much bigger than I expected.

I finished Ollivanders yesterday and I am doing Borgins tonight and Gringotts tomorrow. Than probably keep the set until I complete my LDD design. But this moc will be brick build :classic:

In terms of colour for QQS, how about dark orange? LEGO used the colour on their own QQS set, and I don't think it would be bad next to the green, after all LEGO used it in combination with sand green. I think it would provide a warmer feeling to the shop than the grey currently does.

Apart from that, it's great! Would you do more LDD Diagon Alley buildings? It'd be great to see a collection, especially of this quality! :classic:

Thanks for the advice on the colour, I might try that. Do you have a link or a picture to the QQS set your talking about? I can't remember seeing that before.

I might do some more facades, when this is done, as I got some inspiration for them. Not sure about doing an interior. But let's start with these two :classic:

Edited by kciR