Methos

Build for LDD(LDraw) or Build for IRL ?

Simple question for you all....

When everyone here is building in the virtual world, say either LDD or LDraw, are you building it so that if translated to real life it would stand the test of time or any designs (or all) built to stay virtual? I.E. no definition of gravity or structural integrity under its own weight.

Reason I ask is that I'm building a large design, and I'm not sure the structure could handle real life. The roof I'm not sure if it will hold and possibly cave in simpley due to lack of skeletal structure.

Just wanted everyone thoughts.

....and yes once it's done I will post to the forum :)

Edited by Methos

Check this topic, as you will see the argument is not totally new, and a "physics" is one of the desired features for LDD5. A feature we probably will not see, but desired feature for LDD users, anyway.

I think there are more chances to see it implemented, in the future, in alternative software for LDraw ecosystem, such as SR3D Builder.

About your problem, you have two ways:

- try to built the structure of your MOC with real bricks ( don't mind of colours or details, the main structure only) to test it.

- use techniques already experimented in other creations, such as official sets or mocs. Official sets are usually really robust, and uses few extreme techniques, so I suggest you to check their instructions.

I personally always design so it can be built IRL. And since I'm a bit of purist, I tend to want to stick to legal methods (which is why I love LDD - it won't let me do anything fishy :classic:).

Normally, I have to do a few test builds IRL to see that it works, specially in tricky areas. But I guess you learn after a while to get a "feel" for the clutch power of various techniques.

I always LDD with the real world in mind, even if I don't necessarily plan to build it. Often times, the structure will be sound, but the colors might not exist and I'll have to modify the color scheme when and if I decide to go to the ABS stage. I have had to rebuild slightly in the past when going from digital to real. I might even go so far as to say my more recent digital MOCs are slightly over-built in reaction to the possibility of unstable connections inherent to building sans gravity.

I've had to do 90% of my builds in LDD first, simply because I don't have the kind of collection on hand to build anything so I've always built with real bricks in mind, frankly I don't even understand the appeal of building something you couldn't.....well......build!

Mike

It not like that at all, I'm building with IRL in mind (would like to build IRL eventually) but my design is currently dependant on a large section of root that in real life would be lattice supported with reinforced concrete. Translated i dont think the structure of lego and the lack of different materials would allow it. I'm currently desgning and when completed will rebuild areas that wont meet gravity laws and load bearing walls

I build for real-life, usually, but building digitally takes longer than building with actual bricks, so if I'm building a large field or something with a lot of layers of grass and plants, etc, and am just building for the picture I will generate at the end, I generally am not too careful, as long as no one can see the faulty connections or the weak roof support in the POV-Ray rendering . :tongue:

I never cheat at anything so when I'm building I always make it so I can purchase the parts and make it IRL when I want to. The only deviation I have to this is the colours, but I would adapt the MoC when purchasing the parts. The only one I will probably always keep digital is my capital ship as it would cost too much. I grew up with Lego and will always build it but prefer LDD now.

Translated i dont think the structure of lego and the lack of different materials would allow it. I'm currently desgning and when completed will rebuild areas that wont meet gravity laws and load bearing walls

There is always that option, too - rapid prototype/sketch in LDD and refine in real bricks, if you have the resources (money) to do so. That said, if you really think LEGO is not up to the task then maybe you have to rethink what you're building and change the design.