Hello all!

Just wanted to share with you a diorama I've been working on,

featuring the Battle of Osgiliath from The Lord of the Rings (ROTK).

8105719485_5cf47d7933.jpg

"Once the pride of Gondor, a shining city near the River of Anduin, now a battlefield overrun by the evil forces of Sauron.

Gondorians and Ithilien Rangers are fighting for their lives as more and more orcs keep approaching from the East,

but it all seems like a never-ending wave of evil sweeping itself over the outnumbered forces of the West..."

0d37f8d11eb31d340b8699e8cef7ec7c.png?1350754480

7746603321cea258c83d7e5429c77dbc.png?1350762964

02aa5b7a35bd6c84092d19de26f06bb6.png?1350762972

709158088048988fef5edb264b23233b.png?1350763024

2517c28c618e806a992b39c8a5e4475d.png?1350763076

94c028018b7a2d72602ffb6fe5de617e.png

8105899210_89d757e86f.jpg

c759734e3d4a01f53caa98fc4a18d142.png?1350763275

Click the first picture for some more shots of this MOC in my Flickr photostream!

Enjoy, C&C is welcome as always.

Great job on making the ruins look ruined! The circular staircase is also quite impressive :thumbup: The excellent figs top it all off nicely :classic:

I really like a lot of things about this MOC... The circular stairs, the arch ways, the destroyed and crumbling buildings, the feel like evil orcs are swarming over the city, etc. My only criticism would be the tops of the buildings. They look too flat and plain, especially the smaller one. If you look at the below picture you will see most of the tops are curved, have roofs/walls coming up, or have some kind of design that is usually damaged. Other than that though, I think the MOC is fantastic!

180px-Osgiliath_reclaimed.png

The highlight of this MOC for me is the fig selection. Great work on capturing the rag-tag nature of the orc army - nice thing you don't need the official figs to do it! :wink:

The ruined buildings and all the debris and junk in the streets are also well done. But Deathleech has a point there - this is a WIP so far, right? The tops of the buildings are coming later, aren't they?

Amazing build!

Very nice to see that you made (used) an Eye of Sauron flag :thumbup:

Have never seen the sword that the orc in front of the ranger is holding, from which set is that (or is it custom made)? That sword looks really orcish like btw :wub::thumbup:

Thanks everyone!

The ruined buildings and all the debris and junk in the streets are also well done. But Deathleech has a point there - this is a WIP so far, right? The tops of the buildings are coming later, aren't they?

Nope, I'm afraid not - this one's finished. I tried to add a better roof to the tower, but what I tried with the now-limited parts (since most other useful pieces I had for that were used throughout the MOC)

didn't look quite right, so I decided to keep it flat. However, I might do a future Osgiliath (though significantly smaller) and re-use this building with stairs (with some improvements even, hopefully) and have a proper roof along with it.

Amazing build!

Very nice to see that you made (used) an Eye of Sauron flag :thumbup:

Have never seen the sword that the orc in front of the ranger is holding, from which set is that (or is it custom made)? That sword looks really orcish like btw :wub::thumbup:

Yep, that sword is custom made, just like the Eye of Sauron banner.

Thanks again all.

Now off to think of what to make next...

Edited by General Magma

Yep, that sword is custom made, just like the Eye of Sauron banner.

Ok, even more awesome :classic::thumbup:

Fantastic work :thumbup: :thumbup:

It resemble perfectly the scene from the film :wink: :wink:

Nope, I'm afraid not - this one's finished. I tried to add a better roof to the tower, but what I tried with the now-limited parts (since most other useful pieces I had for that were used throughout the MOC)

didn't look quite right, so I decided to keep it flat. However, I might do a future Osgiliath (though significantly smaller) and re-use this building with stairs (with some improvements even, hopefully) and have a proper roof along with it.

Did you ever try to just lower the roof inside the structure so it's a level of the building rather than an actual roof? Then you could leave the top open with the walls coming up and broken in various spots. I think this would look MUCH more accurate and you wouldn't really need to use anymore pieces than you already have.. in fact you could probably use less!

Edited by Deathleech

Ruined buildings look great, have you any plans to make more of the city? maybe make the river part of it and some buildings along each side?

Did you ever try to just lower the roof inside the structure so it's a level of the building rather than an actual roof? Then you could leave the top open with the walls coming up and broken in various spots. I think this would look MUCH more accurate and you wouldn't really need to use anymore pieces than you already have.. in fact you could probably use less!

Yeah, I remember thinking about doing something like that to one of the buildings once,

but I forgot that eventually.

Ruined buildings look great, have you any plans to make more of the city? maybe make the river part of it and some buildings along each side?

Thanks - yes, I have plans to make more of the city in the future. Once I have enough pieces for the river, I'll feature it in one of my future MOCs as well,

but the next Osgiliath is supposed to become quite a bit smaller than this. More of the size of a bignette.

Loads to admire here. The rabble of orcs is captured so well....and the general sense of destruction with all the debris and damage is fantastic.

Beautiful ruins, love the way the door caves in in particular. :thumbup: Nice action as well!

My, that looks great! Amazing depiction of a movie scene. The ruins and the doors are especially well done! :thumbup:

So cool, Super detailed! This is the first potential set that came to my mind when I had read Lego secured the Licence. To bad it it will never make the cut to a production set.

I love the smooth top on the arches. This scene looks just like the movie.

Great job!