Sign in to follow this  
brickdad46

Haunted House / Modular House

I was considering purchasing the Haunted House and see if I could turn it into a modular. By doing this, it would fit into the style of my modular city and I was wondering if anyone else had considered this and what kind of a challenge this would present. Any ideas?

I've done a 16-stud wide version that could easily be expanded to 32 studs with enough bricks. See here. I have a Bricksmith file for this that I am happy to share. Just PM me.

The main challenge was the roof, specifically the overhang on the sides. The chimney sticks out the side in the official version, but this could be placed at the back in a modular version. In a 32-stud version, the front veranda (the official one, not the one I did) can be extended to the edges of the baseplate so that you can use its base for the technic bricks to connect to other modulars.

I have also seen one that had the fence included as part of a 32-wide version, but I can't recall where I saw that. I think it had the fence going down the side of the building with a few studs gap between the fence and the house.

Hi

that was my reason to get this set, to convert it into a modular, or even to use its parts as base.

I am actually building the HH, but when i am finished, i will try an alternate without ny additional parts.

Dino

Kristel,

Your small modular is nicely done. I am thinking of this being a standalone modular. The house looks so good just as is so I don't think I want to connect it to another building. It is very tempting to try.

I bought 2 copies of the HH. One to build as is (now built, very nice as is). One to convert to a modular. I plan to make it a corner building and try to keep as many of the original features as possible. Due to obligations and Chritmas decorating coming up soon I will most likley not get to this until mid January 2013.

Andy D

I have been building the HH in LDD and so far I am pleased with the result. I have taken the approach that I need to use the original bricks as much as possible and only substitued different ones when absolutely necessary to create the modular stacking. I am finding LDD to be very helpful in determining how to arrange things. Once I am done, I will post some LDD pictures.

I actually bought this set with every intention of making it a modular; however, after putting it together, it works too well as a standalone. I think It can be easily turned into one, especially if you purchased two, but you may want to keep it as that creepy building at the end of the road all by itself instead.

Anyway, I thought I saw one already done; if I find it, I will edit this post.

So, here is my contribution to the forum. I created this modular version in LDD trying to use as many of the original pieces as possible. This is more of a proof of concept model and that is why not all of the detail for the house is included in the picture. The new bricks that I had to use are colored bright red.

If you go to Brickshelf, you can see each floor in a separate picture. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=515266

From a distance it looks very similar to the original. I added approximately one brick to the height of the model.

post-32568-0-99557900-1351111113_thumb.png

I have done it on LDD. Tried to keep as close on the original modell as possible as to be fitting into the rest of the modular series. There are two disadvantages:

I needed to use extra-parts for the outer walls.

I needed to add the mansion fence (looks just too good) and therefor there is no walkway :angry:

Will add a picture, LDD i just working on an instruction (of a moduar library) and needs time...

Rotaser did this ever get finished with the ldd file ??

i'm onto this aswell but getting headaches with all the mistakes i'm amaking and could do with all the help i can get lol

​i know this is an old thread and i hope you don't mind me resurrecting it again