Tomcat RIO

Lord of the Rings minifigs custom

Hi all, it's been a long time since I last posted any MOC minifigs since the 60 minifigs back in March '12. I've always been a LOTR fan, and Lego too. So naturally I'll be doing something for the LOTR series.

First up, Arwen, the elf princess that Lego has yet to show us a hint of being released.. Why???!!! She's such a major important character!!

1. Arwen in Coronation dress, at the ending of ROTK. Painted in pale yellowish green with handpainted torso, this one was simple. She's still missing her lacy brooch crown on her hair. That will be added later when I pair her up with a workbench in-progress, King Elessar in coronation armour (YES!!)

20121018_234043.jpg

20121018_234053.jpg

20121018_234059.jpg

20121018_234153.jpg

2. Next is Arwen in her travelling attire, during the scene from Flight to the Ford as she is being chased by Nazgul

Again minifig is airbrushed, and the details handpainted with a brush, not giving an inch to decals!

20121018_234254.jpg

20121018_234315.jpg

20121018_234349.jpg

20121018_234324.jpg

you all know that epic scene.. If you want him, come and claim him!

20121018_234551.jpg

Why, of course anyone will have a glum face with an oversized Lego Hobbit in front of your lap that doesn't fit as well as in the movies..

20121018_234613.jpg

I tried to replicate the fluttering drapes of her attire while she rides fast on the horse, hence the addition back skirting.

20121018_234735.jpg

20121018_234833.jpg

I will love to photoshop the picture below with the waters of Anduin running below the horse, and the 9 Nazgul on the far shore

20121018_234852.jpg

Speaking of which, the Nazgul which I had customized, as far back as 2004.

20121018_235307.jpg

Another in progress on the bench is Gandalf the grey, modifying the Official version with some real messy hair. This is Gandalf as seen when facing the Balrog, without his hat and alot of old bad grey hair. It is simply a CMF5/6 Space Girl, Workout Girl hairpiece resprayed in grey.

lotrcustom10.jpg

lotrcustom9.jpg

lotrcustom8.jpg

Thanks for viewing the thread, and do check back once a while as I will constantly be making a few MOCs each month.

I love the detail work on the outfits!

I would have never guessed Gandalf's hair was a spray job - it looks great.

That is some great work...can't believe the amount of detail you did with paints...I would never have that steady a hand to do that! I'm impressed and look forward to seeing more from you...especially as I love LOTR figs too. Thanks for sharing!

At last! another customizer around who's not afraid to use paint and does that in a very fine manner! Well done! :thumbup:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Hi everyone, thanks for the good feedback, really appreciate it. Tonight (Asian time) I show my MOCed Legolas minifig, based closely on the colour scheme from the trilogy movies.

20121020_010435.jpg

20121020_010453.jpg

So me being me did some scratchbuilding for the quiver first

20121020_014413.jpg

After that I painted the peacock design

20121021_183058.jpg

And finally, I get suited up with a cloak from the fabric stall, and vambraces from Brickforge (with some elven paintwork), and a complete elven green outfit

legolasdone1.jpg

legolasdone2.jpg

legolasdone3.jpg

Fighting knives were modified from the prince persia daggers

legolasdone4.jpg

Elven metal! Uruk Hai!

legolasdone5.jpg

A comparison with the original

legolasdone6.jpg

Awesome. :wub_drool: I'm really digging that quiver. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

I'm on a roll! Tonight. Saruman vs Gandalf the white, based on the screen capture designs by Darkknight7.

What better head for saruman then count dooku, since they are played by the same actors in real life by Christoper Lee.

2410122.jpg

2410123.jpg

2410124.jpg

2410125.jpg

"I will draw you Saruman, like poison is drawn from a wound"

2410126.jpg

"Show them the meaning of haste, Shadow Fax!"

2410127.jpg

"March to Helm's Deep tonight! Leave none alive!"

2410128.jpg

And a headsup for tomorrow's minifig

2410121.jpg

2410129.jpg

Edited by Tomcat RIO

A comparison with the original

legolasdone6.jpg

Whoa your custom Legolas is really awesome. Great modification on him, especially the weapon quiver and the painted details. Great stuff

Edited by Mencot

I'd like to commend you on your outstanding work. My favorite is Legolas, you've done an excellence job correcting what I consider to be a gross oversight on the part of TLC when designing the licensed fig. The addition of the quiver and the fighting knives is truly a work of art. WELL DONE!

These all look fantastic, but I must ask,

what kind of Paint do you use and how do you use it? I know skill is a large part of this,

but my lines when painting always end up being a bit thick and "fading", in a way. I'd like to improve on that so I'd like to know what you use.

Either way, looks great, I wish the official Legolas was like this.

I thought it was a great figure but it just pales in comparison to yours...

These are amazing. I'm bewildered how someone can paint with such a steady hand. One could almost swear it is a decal or officially printed! Amazing work.

I can't wait to see more. I am in no way a customizer, so I am very impressed when someone has the skill to do it like this.

Adorable. I love the first Arwen and Legolas.

And yours is the first new horse I see spraypainted. Looks very clean. I recently sprayed 6 old horses of which only 3 turned out acceptable, none as nice as yours. How did you do that?

Adorable. I love the first Arwen and Legolas.

And yours is the first new horse I see spraypainted. Looks very clean. I recently sprayed 6 old horses of which only 3 turned out acceptable, none as nice as yours. How did you do that?

I do a basecoat of primer grey. Followed by basecoat of white. Then many layers of glossed-white. I had to make sure the airbrushed painted surface was still thin and smooth. Once I was satisfied, the last 2 coats was a yellowish white layer to give it that slight lego-ish tinge. And a gloss clear coat to seal in and protect the paint.

Hope that help!

Uhm, ok, that is a very advanced spraying technique. I just pointed the spray can towards the horses and pressed the button. No wonder yours look so good.

I fear to meet you in CCC this year.

Uhm, ok, that is a very advanced spraying technique. I just pointed the spray can towards the horses and pressed the button. No wonder yours look so good.

I fear to meet you in CCC this year.

hahaha nope I think you have a good chance! Because I have never participated in a CCC before even though its in its 10th installment! I'm quite the castle-medieval fan but I haven't ever get to 10% of the building skill of the masters there.. Heck, even their bases are nicer than my simplish squarish forts.

I'm surprised you don't use an airbrush, its a good long term investment for fine art. I used spray cans in my earlier days but found that I can't really control thickness that well and sometimes I get trickles, which ruins my day trying to sand it off.

Hi everyone, thanks for the good feedback, really appreciate it. Tonight (Asian time) I show my MOCed Legolas minifig, based closely on the colour scheme from the trilogy movies.

I love the legolas

How did you add the knife part to the quiver and the quiver to the actual mimifig?

Edited by LuxorV
Please do not quote the entire opening post just to make a general comment. Thank you.