eliminator

Discontinuation Speculation

Any thoughts on Red Cargo 3677? My local Lego retail stores (2x in London) regularly don't have this in stock when I visit, although S@H in the UK seems to be reliably available. As the most recent cargo set I would hope it hangs around for a fair while, and 7939 is still buyable too.

Basically, do I need to snap this up now, or can it wait a few months?

I bought 3677 a few months ago now at one of the brand shops, but it was on sale, which generally seems to suggest winding down of stock - weird that it's still available so easily on S@H though!

It seems to be a bit of an odd set, with a reduced presence at retail. Needless to say I ended up ordering...

The Maersk Train is 10% of at Shop@Home right now. I think they're trying to clear stock.

Edited by Legoroni

It's been sold out for awhile. I've been keeping an eye on it and have now had to purchase through Fishpond.

If they would still ship it here I would have grabbed a couple with the free shipping deal.

how is it being discontinued before 7939?

that's really weird seeing as the red one was produced after the yellow one. :/

Agreed. I would not be surprised, however, if Lego discontinued all of the integrated sets (7938, 7939, and 3677) in 2013 and gave us the following line-up:

-One Creator Expert set, 10233, two-year product cycle

-One theme set, 79111 Constitution Train Chase, one- year product cycle

-One integrated set, ?????, two-year product cycle

I suspect supplies for 7938 and 7939 are low to begin with and Lego is advertising 3677 as "retiring soon" because they need to move stock to make way for ????? in 2013.

Edited by MojoLego

Agreed. I would not be surprised, however, if Lego discontinued all of the integrated sets (7938, 7939, and 3677) in 2013 and gave us the following line-up:

-One Creator Expert set, 10233, two-year product cycle

-One theme set, 79111 Constitution Train Chase, one- year product cycle

-One integrated set, ?????, two-year product cycle

I suspect supplies for 7938 and 7939 are low to begin with and Lego is advertising 3677 as "retiring soon" because they need to move stock to make way for ????? in 2013.

Red Cargo Train will still be on sale next year, but Creator Expert is now the umbrella for any train products existing outside City (making the links between City trains and other products closer). 7939 has already been discontinued, but stock has briefly returned online.

Update on train availability in the US:

-3677 is sold out at Lego US. TRU lists it as available only in store.

-7938 is out of stock but will ship in 30 days at Lego US. Amazon has 846 units and is dropping quickly.

-7939 is in stock at Lego US. Amazon has 778 units, also dropping quickly.

-10219 is sold out at Lego US. Amazon has 999+ units.

also

-7937 is in stock at Lego US. Amazon has 465 units.

I think things still point to the 2013 product lineup I listed in post #186.

Edited by MojoLego

What was to US MSRP for 10219? The LEGO Store in Chicago had 2 for US $119. I was going to buy one because I figured it would be discounted, but it didn't seem to be. (at least not enough for me.)

Sal

WFB, WI

MSRP was $119.99. Amazon currently has it, with no tax and free shipping - if you're looking to get the set, I'd suggest picking it up now, because it may be your last chance to purchase it below MSRP. A week ago it was $109.99 (which I snagged it for.)

Two days ago it was less even than that, just $104.99; I ordered two at that price myself, and now it's back up over both prices, to the original MSRP of $119.99. I wouldn't be surprised to see it offered above MSRP there from third-party vendors (once Amazon's own stock runs out) in the very near future.

I wish I could afford to order at least one more before that happens (but then, I'd also want to buy any of hundreds of other LEGO sets I still 'need' - darn these limited financial resources...). I'm glad I at least got an order in for two of them at a good price, though; I know not everyone will be so fortunate, so I'm counting myself lucky. I'm just a little antsy over my Amazon order not having shipped yet...

I might try to pick up the Red Cargo Train at my local TRU sometime.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Well, I have one more question to add,

I do expect the MAERSK set to be short term due to its licenseing,

But, as it is a great locomotive design, Do you think LEGO will produce it in a different color or set as a Lego original, or possibly reproduce it under a different license such as CONRAIL or something similar.

Not very likely :)

ah hell no, are you telling me its discontinued already ? goddamn i need to wait for my paycheck... goddamn hmm would amazon.com sent to Europe ? xD

Goodbye Maersk, ( :cry_sad: ) but does anyone know why 3677 had such a short run? :classic:

I don't know but I suspect that the initial sales for the yellow cargo train were faster than expected, so to ensure stock levels (of at least one cargo train) stretched till the end of it's planned life cycle, they introduced the red one. The red cargo train looks like it has been a success too, so hopefully that bodes well when the train line gets a refresh.

Well, I don't know how 3677 Red Cargo Train is/was sold in everyone else's countries, but here in the US it's a "Special Edition," exclusive to Toys 'R' Us. I'd guess that has something to do with its period of availability (though it doesn't necessarily mean a shorter availability window - the TRU-exclusive 6212 X-Wing Fighter was around a good five years (!) or so).

The other two current basic City trains, 7938 and 7939, still feel like new sets to me, but they're both from 2010, which means they're coming up on their three-year marks (what time of year were they originally released? Are they some of those sets that actually leak out onto shelves late in the previous year, and thus actually three already?). I wouldn't be too surprised if both of them were refreshed next year (I kind of expect it, actually).

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I think Lego will release a new City train in 2013 making for a clean sweep of the various train lines.

post-9590-0-72667000-1354235091_thumb.jpg

Green: City Trains

Red: Track

Blue: Structures

Purple: Creator Trains

Yellow: Theme/Specialty Trains

Orange: Narrow Gauge

Note: Brickset availability data begins 10/24/07.

Edited by MojoLego

I think Lego will release a new City train in 2013 making for a clean sweep of the various train lines.

post-9590-0-72667000-1354235091_thumb.jpg

Green: City Trains

Red: Track

Blue: Structures

Purple: Creator Trains

Yellow: Theme/Specialty Trains

Orange: Narrow Gauge

Note: Brickset availability data begins 10/24/07.

On a tangent... that's a very nifty chart, though I want to note 7199 - The Temple of Doom was available for longer than indicated there. The last copy that I got directly from LEGO itself I got at least as late as around August of 2010, and the last copy I got anywhere I picked up at a Toy'R'Us in Fort Myers in the spring of 2011.