Sign in to follow this  
kabel

Black Rock Temple

The dumbest thing about the crash is that I went on a trip just an hour after I had posted this, so I wasn't able to read the comments. Bummer, but here we go again:

Deep in the boreal forest of Mitgardia the lonesome traveler may find the balckened ruins of a once magnific temple, originally designated to the old gods of the North.

As Mitgardian settlers streamed into the North some 200 years ago, they where so afraid of the old cult that they destroyed as many of these temples and their idols as possible. Hardly any remains can still be found today, except for the ruins of this temple, that is so far out in the nowhere, that the Mitgardian troops just had it fall into the state of disrepair after the locals had deserted the forest.

dscn2033.jpg

However, with the elementals waging havoc across the country, some Mitgardians have discovered, that near the acient sites, elementals do not dare to attac. So a group of Mitgardian fighters and artisians, under the lead of Steen Larsson and Eric Grimmson, are setting up their camp in this particular place, hoping that here they can gain the strength required to fight off the evil.

dscn2034.jpg

The first structure to be erected was the shop of the smith, as ore can be collected on the meadows nearby and good weapons as well as bolts and screws for siege engines are in want.

dscn2021.jpg

Others in the camp are occupied with putting up more palisades:

dscn2027.jpg

starting a rope bridge across the river:

dscn2038.jpg

or studying maps in the commanders' hut in order to plan the next move:

dscn2022.jpg

On the other side of the river, inside the ruins, two clerics have cleared up some of the brush thus discovering an old shrine:

dscn2019.jpg

they are not entirely sure how they can contact the old gods, but they sure are giving it quite some effort ...

dscn2017.jpg

So far the situation remains calm. But some of the younger ones are very frightened, will they be really save around here?

dscn2025.jpg

overall shots:

dscn2014.jpg

dscn2029.jpg

So, thanks for all the contstructive feedback I recieved during the WIP phase. I hope you like this one and have fun watching it. More pics to be found on my brickshelf account..

Edited by kabel

Fantastic work :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I love the minifig expressions, the ruins and the water :wub: :wub:

Nice job! Very much reminds me of Lego's 90's sets such as Extreme Team Challenge but in medieval times. :thumbup:

Nice job, I really like the stream and the overgrown look! :thumbup:

Great entry kabel! The landscaping throughout is excellent and the the minifig posing is top-notch :thumbup:

the hut, palisade, and bridge in progress are all well done. Good luck in the voting :classic:

Thanks guys, glad you like it. But as for the voting, I suppose not hoping for a single vote would be more humble and realistic.

Thanks SoT, your praise actually means quite a bit to me! The cool thing is, that already I had pieces of a ruined black castle sitting on my desk for a few weeks with no clear idea of where to go to. So with challenge V being announced things finally came together!!

Good entry I love the picture where you can see all the ruins and the river.

Hey guys, thanks for the positive feedback.

Well, doing snot water has been done before. The difficulty with this was to do a bend. That's why I had to include the rapids and continue with tiles as I didn't come up with a good way to continue the snot water around the bend. I hope the transition is not too extreme.

As for the forge, I visited Guedelon this summer, where I came across this forge, which I really had to in LEGO:

guedelon4.jpg

Edited by kabel

This is one good looking moc kabel! Many details and every day life situations that is great!

My only nitpick is that you should have one more photo of the whole moc. I qoute what my my good friend Z told me in one of my mocs

I think a couple of shots of the entire MOC with the camera up a bit higher could help us pick out more details at once.

Thanks DG, unfortunately I've already broken up the whole thing, but next time I'll think of it!

I really like the way you made the river curve around the ruins, it draws your eye to every part of the MOC and creates a really

nice flow (no pun intended :classic: )

You also did a really great job with the figure posing too, the village feels very lively and everyone has

something to work on.

Thanks Erynlasgalen, the bend in the river had actually really given me headache because plates in snot do not work when turnig the direction. So I'm glad it looks alright like this!

Thanks ISC, it always feels great to be recognized by the builder of such format!

Good job on this MOC! I like all of the different phases of construction taking place, the roof of the buildings (original idea!) and the shrine concept. I also like the torches and the water/rapids. Nice entry!