*huh* It is on the 1st page of the technic section.....

Do you not read all of the new topics? :shrug_oh_well:

Nope, I don't normally find time to read all the sections. I feel pretty sure I am not alone here.

I still feel a broader exposure would help. I also noticed another poster aking for exposure in the History forum, that is why I think something like this could so be discussed in the General News forum as well. Maybe not moved, but discussed there at least.

I still like the idea of MOCPlans.com and I hope it makes it really big!

Just one opinion.

Andy D

How are you going to tell if the person uploading the instructions actually owns them?

If I had created free instructions and then found someone profiteering from them, I would go after them and the site that facilitated them for remuneration.

It also concerns me that instruction makers using free software for non commercial use, feel that it is fine to profit from other's time/ work.

Great initiative. Can you also provide an option to buy the parts necessary as well?

Hobbyists like me who do not own too many sets, the barrier of making good MOCs is lack of having all necessary parts.

A combination of rebrickables.com / bricklinks wanted list is really all you need to start gathering the parts. It's what I did for Paul Boratko's Vampire GT. The market is PRETTY forgiving.

A combination of rebrickables.com / bricklinks wanted list is really all you need to start gathering the parts. It's what I did for Paul Boratko's Vampire GT. The market is PRETTY forgiving.

I think you mean http://rebrickable.com :)

I just signed up on rebrickable and added a MOC to check out their system. It works really well, and the people handling the review process seem very competent.

It would be really nice if this new site would be a component on rebrickable handling payment for the non-free MOCs.

Gonna make it in time for 2012? or should we expect early 2013?

Yeah... I assumed someone would call me out on that.

It looks like a early 2013 release.

Great things are worth waiting for right???

Yes, its been a while...but it was a tumultuous month with not much good to report on.

That being said, checkout the MOCplans.com website out, I just updated the post to update everyone on the current status. Hopefully as the site starts to be used I will have more and more updates to post about.

Does this mean that participating creators who already offer instructions for from their own site will be shutting down that facility? The timing of this is interesting to me, because I'm just contemplating a purchase of instructions for the first time, myself.

Does this mean that participating creators who already offer instructions for from their own site will be shutting down that facility? The timing of this is interesting to me, because I'm just contemplating a purchase of instructions for the first time, myself.

No, its not intended that way. I would never ask someone like Paul to shut down his site. This is meant to be complimentary to anyone with their own site and a great gift to those who don't. In addition, if all starts going smoothly, I would love to set the site up so that anyone who has already purchased instructions (and designers confirm the purchase) prior to the launch of MOCplans will be able to have access to those instructions through MOCplans as well...although that could take quite a while.

If MocPlans is not going to come to fruition, then perhaps the building instructions for RoscoPCs F1 racecars could be made available via some other outlet....

(In a lone negative voice)

Surely building MOC's should be just that.... My Own Creation.... Following plans takes away all the challenge and fun of working out solutions, building and experimenting and seeing how others did similar, then rebuilding and rebuilding and more experimenting, till you get what you first envisaged.... Isn't Lego all about using your imagination.

I built 8043 in about 3 hours, it was more like work than fun..... good for learning new techniques with new parts but not much more....

But even for something (That will be to you experts) as simple as one of my trailers, involved hours of research working out dimensions in studs then more hours of building as realistic as possible so that it at once looks real and is also able to carry the correct scale loading..... not to mention the little buzz when a bricklink order of parts you didn't even know existed till you were half way through building and came to a; 'I wonder if there is a part that does this? moment' then find out there is so you are waiting till it arrives so you can get straight back to building.....

I love seeing other peoples MOC's of things I am interested in, especially the good ones, but have no interest at all in building a clone.... For me it is all about keeping thinking.

I can not describe the satisfaction of looking at my own MOC's and thinking; 'I did that.'

I did not realise that I was the only person like this.

(In a lone negative voice)

Surely building MOC's should be just that.... My Own Creation.... Following plans takes away all the challenge and fun of working out solutions, building and experimenting and seeing how others did similar, then rebuilding and rebuilding and more experimenting, till you get what you first envisaged.... Isn't Lego all about using your imagination.

I built 8043 in about 3 hours, it was more like work than fun..... good for learning new techniques with new parts but not much more....

But even for something (That will be to you experts) as simple as one of my trailers, involved hours of research working out dimensions in studs then more hours of building as realistic as possible so that it at once looks real and is also able to carry the correct scale loading..... not to mention the little buzz when a bricklink order of parts you didn't even know existed till you were half way through building and came to a; 'I wonder if there is a part that does this? moment' then find out there is so you are waiting till it arrives so you can get straight back to building.....

I love seeing other peoples MOC's of things I am interested in, especially the good ones, but have no interest at all in building a clone.... For me it is all about keeping thinking.

I can not describe the satisfaction of looking at my own MOC's and thinking; 'I did that.'

I did not realise that I was the only person like this.

You are not alone :laugh:

I think there are many people who agree with you. I partly agree as well. When I look at my shelf, I see the TECHNIC Space Shuttle and some modular buildings. Is it a reason for me to be proud of? Of course not. But I enjoy the build every time I start again, and it's fun to watch them and play with the functions.

The same with MOC's from other AFOL's.

I agree too.

One of the main reasons I love Lego is I enjoy much more entire building process than outcome.

During the process one can find lots of solution to whatever problem one will encounter.

Just use your imagination and a little of of engineering concept ,you will be able to build something different from others in your own way.

That is truly fun and joyful.

Praise Lego for bringing the world so extraordinary .

Another 4 months have passed. Any news from the front?

There is an outside chance of us launching a Beta version of the site for June 1st.

The only thing I can say are that its incredibly hard to do this. The amount of work involved and navigating state, federal, VAT and every other tax makes the whole thing almost silly to even try.

There are a few members of this forum who have seen the site in action so it is quite real and functional...but these last few steps have proved quite troublesome.

And yes, Rosco's Cars will be available the second we launch.

I have heard this argument quite frequently and I understand the sentiment, but I think it is missing something vitally important. Lego is indeed a creative venture, but not everyone has the same skill, talent, interest level, and time. I will illustrate this with an analogy. Let's say a I want a beautiful painting to hang on the wall in my house. Someone could say me to me, "There is no use buying a painting because then you miss the joy of doing it yourself. Just make your own painting and then the reward will be greater!" This may be true, but what if I don't know how to paint? I will never be able to create a painting worthy of hanging in my home because I do not have that talent. Does that mean I should not be allowed to have any paintings? Of course not! Instead I would seek out the creative talents of an expert and buy something beautiful from them and I would enjoy it every time I look at it. All of the same things apply to LEGO. Not everyone can create their own beautiful supercar MOC with excellent functions because they may not have the right skills or even the time. Does this mean they are not allowed to enjoy Technic? Of course not. They can still seek out designs from experts and still enjoy building them, learning from them, and displaying them.

I have heard this argument quite frequently and I understand the sentiment, ..............

*Like*.

You've summarised it most eloquently.

Perfectly put Blakbird. I'm still getting back into building with Lego, and since I stopped an entirely new way of building Technic has come out. It's been pretty much like starting from scratch all over again.

Building other people's MOCs is helping me get a handle on how SNOT building works. I can't thank the people who take the time to prepare their plans & put them out enough.

Blackbird, nicely put. what aqaz said is what I personally like to do as an MOCer, but Blackbird summarised it perfectly and I can't find fault in your argument. I quite often flick through instructions or step by step photos and have a look at how people created stuff, and then combine various different components into my model

I might be creative enough (to some degree, I don't really know), but quite often I simply lack the time to do some proper building on a MOC. A nicely built MOC requires building, redesigning, evaluating, building, etc. This can take quite some time and can be cumbersome if you don't get the results you'd like to achieve (due to lack of skills maybe).

Building another builder's MOC provides a suitable solution to have some extra fun, besides building the official sets.

So MocPlans....let's get this show on the road :wink: