Sign in to follow this  
Pingles

New joining technique? Inverting studs with cheese slopes

Saw this on Reddit and came here to discuss its origins but did not see any discussion.

Am I late to the party on this one?

JXrA9.jpg

The Reddit discussion is here.

Edited by Fugazi
topic title

I have not seen that, maybe OK for plates but if I used it in bricks I'd worry it would be hard to get them out again? Has anyone tried it?

I have not seen that, maybe OK for plates but if I used it in bricks I'd worry it would be hard to get them out again? Has anyone tried it?

The only way the cheese wedges could get caught in the brick if you make them plate-to-brick, in a way that you could not later fish them out with, say, a paper clip, would be if either they put tremendous stresses on the brick (enough friction that the paper clip would bend before the cheese wedges give way) or if they fit snugly enough to recede all the way into the brick. And in the latter case, that would suggest a brick-to-brick connection using the 1x2 cheese wedges could theoretically be possible. I have never heard of this or tried it myself, so I couldn't say for sure.

Thanks for the update. I've never seen, heard, or considered this connection. I may have to try it if I ever need studs exposed on both sides.

I saw this on reddit too. It's a good technique. I already have run into this issue before many times and now I know how to fix it much more easily.

I've used the minifig's crowbar and the large wrench (the one that comes with games sets) to pull tiles, cheese, and even lever bases out of bricks. :thumbup:

This is an awesome technique, sometime I don't realize how perfect lego is. The only problem I had is that I had to separate it with a knife :sceptic:

Neither have I.

Maybe late, but I didn't know yet...

So, thanks! :sweet:

It seems interesting building technique for some 'reverse' SNOTing. The only problem I see is the cheese parts getting stuck in the brick. Is anyone using this technique for building to share the experience?

Works niceley but if it goes too far inside of the brick it will n longer be able to hold the plate onto the brick but at least it can be levered out.

very creative, we need more stuff like this!.

Put something inside the brick before inserting the cheeses. Wads of paper came to mind, but they'll get wedged inside. Unpopped popcorn kernels, washers (around the tubes), or BBs may be woth a try. Or levers (w/o the bases) laid inside the brick, for a strictly LEGO solution. I did not try any of these, so I don't know if they will even work.

I also haven't seen this technique before, so another thanks for posting. I would imagine you can avoid the wedges being pushed into the brick by simply putting them on the plate first, then securing the plate to the brick.

It also seems to me that, especially if this is in the middle of something, you could do plate to plate and avoid the problem entirely.

I took a minute out of my day to test this brilliant technique - it worked fine, no problems whatsoever. :classic: And now I've got a few different ideas for MOCs that would work quite better using this...:wink:

Hope I am not late in posting to a topic that is (supposedly) late.

But thanks for posting this as this is really a useful technique to use!

I hadn't seen this before - it might come in handy! :thumbup: My guess is you're bound to be able to get the cheese slopes out somehow (a LEGO crowbar or wrench should work), and anyway you could use a color you have way too many of. . . (or is that not possible?) :laugh: