Rick

10233 Horizon Express

I just got two of them and I already bought the two 9v engines I need. The only thing I didn't understand is how to add lights to my train if I use 9v system. Is it possible to use the set 8870 with a 9v motor?

Thanks and bon voyage :)

you need to get the PF extenshion cable and then the 8870 pf lights. the extenshion clips onto the top of the 9v and then put the other end onto the pf lights.

will cost about $40us for the bits.

Edited by Lazarus

Looks like my HE running on two 9v motors over heat after about 10 mins on a layout that has alot of bends. Any one with experiance with long 9v trains know how best to run the motors. I have two motors on the front loco pulling the rest, is this the best way or should i have one on the front one on the rear. Or do i need to up it to 4 motors.

Looks like my HE running on two 9v motors over heat after about 10 mins on a layout that has alot of bends. Any one with experiance with long 9v trains know how best to run the motors. I have two motors on the front loco pulling the rest, is this the best way or should i have one on the front one on the rear. Or do i need to up it to 4 motors.

I also run my Horizon Express with two 9V motors, but installed them 1 in each loco (push-pull). My layout contains a fair amount of curves and switches, but this doesn't seem to lead to any overheating problems.

Two motors on the head end should be enough to pull this train. I would say the Super Chief (5 cars + 2 locos, each with a 9v motor) is about the limit of what a pair of 9v motors can pull. The Super Chief had more wheels on the track and heavier cars. However, the stock HE has the technic axles on the rear. I bet that is the culprit. If so, swapping the rear out for a motor should fix the problem. Then you can put in tail lights too.

If so, swapping the rear out for a motor should fix the problem.

Or use two motors up front and swap out the technic axles at the rear with the two wheelsets you gain by adding a Jacobs bogie to the centre.

That's my plan for the time being, next will be a couple more carriages to get a more prototypical rake, and then I'll look at designing a TGV logo and replacing the black window stripe for dark bley. I'm really enjoying the modification potential of this train.

I already have the extra jacob in the middle now but saying that i do have a dummy 9v on the rear that will add drag and still 1 technic boggie that i could swap for normal wheels.

Will drop the technic boggie and see what that does if that does not help put a 9v motor of both ends.

Note to all:

I have a 9v motor with the internal motor removed on the rear to power my rear lights. This might be also adding a bit to much drag. might need to see if i can lube it up a bit more and try and get it to free wheel better.

Edited by Lazarus

Two motors on the head end should be enough to pull this train. I would say the Super Chief (5 cars + 2 locos, each with a 9v motor) is about the limit of what a pair of 9v motors can pull.

My two engines, each equipped with a 9V motor, pulled 6 waggons. But I used two speed regulators. If you only use one, the two motors won't go as fast as with a second speed regulator connected to the rails. However, I didn't let the whole train run for an eternity. So my motors never overheated.

A while ago I disassembled two waggons, but this had something to do with space rather than with the output of the two motors.

Edited by legotrainfan

I would like to add a second engine. Would buying a second set the most cost effective or easiest way to do it? Has one built a second engine from buying pieces online?

I would like to add a second engine. Would buying a second set the most cost effective or easiest way to do it? Has one built a second engine from buying pieces online?

It's definitely more worth it to buy a second set. The 2 passenger cars aren't actually identical to each other, and it would look weird to have an asymmetrical train set. To sets together,with the full 6 cars looks really good and is definitely ideal.

The Horizon Express is now available as a Kit!

with all powerfunktion accessories needed.

Not sure what the $ price is at the moment

Edited by GRogall

The Horizon Express is now available as a Kit!

with all powerfunktion accessories needed.

Not sure what the $ price is at the moment

Interesting. Is it cheaper than buying the parts on its own? And does so. know if it's limited?

Preis 235,49 €

Sonderpreis 223,05 €

Edited by PsyKater

The Australian price for the kit is Aus$20 cheaper than buying each item individually:

$395.93

$375.99

You have a couple of options:

1. Power functions front and rear

2. Two power bogies in front locomotive

I went with option #3: One power bogie in the front locomotive, and replace the bogie with the technic axles in the rear locomotive by a bogie with 9V wheels to reduce friction by quite a lot.

You can buy engine or cars separately on eBay. But I think it looks best with 2 full sets (though you need a long track to make it look right).

I've got my two sets together and running on a very small track at the moment. I put in fresh AAAs into the battery box I had available, then started running the set. After two or three minutes it was nearly as slow as it was before I had put fresh batteries in. I went and checked the motor, and it feels warm to the touch on the underside. Is there something I am doing wrong? The HEs are completely unmodified, and I am running them on one motor. The track uses two 9v crossover pieces, so it's like a figure-eight that crosses over twice with some straight bits in the middle.

The track uses two 9v crossover pieces, so it's like a figure-eight that crosses over twice with some straight bits in the middle.

I'd guess that since the track is mostly curves, the higher friction on curves is causing your motor to overheat.

Will the motor pull just one set reliably? If so I'd try and reduce the friction, firstly by replacing the bogies with technic axles. If that doesn't work, consider adding another motor.

It's definitely more worth it to buy a second set. The 2 passenger cars aren't actually identical to each other, and it would look weird to have an asymmetrical train set. To sets together,with the full 6 cars looks really good and is definitely ideal.

You can buy engine or cars separately on eBay. But I think it looks best with 2 full sets (though you need a long track to make it look right).

Thanks. I found an engine on ebay. It was about $75 + $35 shipping. Bricklink wasn't much better. A new full set looks like a better deal. So I picked up a second set and some VIP points.

Did anyone already MOC a panoramic car for the HE?

I'm thinking of making a car with a panoramic roof on top of it, by using 2 front windows from the 7938 passengertrain and placing them horizontal...Seems to be a bit hard to cover the sides though....

Greetz, legoSjaak

Hi

Does anybody know how long in studs one of the horizon express carriage/cars are?

Is having an 8l wide train okay for using on electric track or is that too wide? I don't want it to collide with another train at a corner of the track :P

I'm working on a train of my own, the best thing about it is that the windows are pillar-less and it has double glazing ,kinda like on a coach I can slide the panes put and add different tints, more features should be added too such as opening doors, lights, motorization etc, the outer design is nice so far, I need to do the interior and maybe make the body lower down, The carriage is 42 studs long but I'm concerned about the dimensions so I'm using other official train sets to give me a guide.

Regards, Snipe