Rick

10233 Horizon Express

I was also quite surprised considering the Maersk was $199 in AUD, although I guess the containers and their truck pushed up the brick count.

At this price it won't be too hard to part with the money for a second one, however I wonder how easy it will be to make another Jacobs bogie so that it actually looks like a 6 unit train and not very obviously 2 placed back to back.

Either way, this looks amazing and Lego are clearly aware that the demand is there for complex, realistic models. TLG knows that the sort of person who is going to buy these trains will be perfectly capable of choosing their own method of motorisation, will most likely have their own track or layout, and therefore it comes at a very reasonable price.

Unfortunately, when buying 4 of the sets, I know I'll be paying $120 extra than the Americans will be... I could seriously be using that money for another steam loco.... Or another moc. I just wish Lego could produce a flat out price for these trains.....

Unfortunately, when buying 4 of the sets, I know I'll be paying $120 extra than the Americans will be...

I thought it was bad enough when I decided I wanted just two *oh2*

A high-speed passenger train. Just as I predicted. I really like the look of this train, so I will probably buy it.

The only problem I have is that it uses the same train motor as most of the rest. A high-speed train should be able to move faster.

A high-speed train should be able to move faster.

You could put one of the higher power PF motors in and gear it heavily for top end speed, however you'll still have the same limitations that every lego train does; at top speed it's not very stable and will fly off any sort of corner or misaligned flexi-track.

I just wish Lego could produce a flat out price for these trains.....

Never going to happen. You will pay more for everything in Australia, I could point to worse examples.

I just wish Lego could produce a flat out price for these trains.....

I'm pretty sure they do. I've been told by a variety of TLG employees that the wholesale price of sets is the same around the world, adjusted slightly for taxes. The only exception to this is deliberately keeping prices lower in markets they see as important for future growth (the US was mentioned about 5 years ago in their company report).

The retail price is negotiated with retailers in each market. Clearly Harvey Norman is not the only Australian retailer who hasn't worked out how the internet will affect their business model yet.

I'm pretty sure they do. I've been told by a variety of TLG employees that the wholesale price of sets is the same around the world, adjusted slightly for taxes. The only exception to this is deliberately keeping prices lower in markets they see as important for future growth (the US was mentioned about 5 years ago in their company report).

I am not sure there is an explanation for differences of prices between euro-zone countries, especially FR/BE/NL/DE (especially since the price differences aren't always in the same way). Why is this train 10 € more expensive in BE/NL than announced for example, did they sell other sets too well in these countries? :D

Edited by antp

In BE/NL it is always more expensive I'm afraid, that is why we go to AFOL shopping nights in Oberhausen / Köln isn't it?!

I am not sure there is an explanation for differences of prices between euro-zone countries, especially FR/BE/NL/DE (especially since the price differences aren't always in the same way). Why is this train 10 € more expensive in BE/NL than announced for example, did they sell other sets too well in these countries? :D

From what I've been told, it is because the retail price is negotiated with local retailers on a country by country basis. Obviously your local retailers think not everybody is willing to go to Germany for cheaper LEGO :-)

In BE/NL it is always more expensive I'm afraid, that is why we go to AFOL shopping nights in Oberhausen / Köln isn't it?!

Well previously some of the sets were cheaper for BE than for FR (e.g. the modular Fire Brigade, but there were others)

Obviously your local retailers think not everybody is willing to go to Germany for cheaper LEGO :-)

If they open the store in Lille (North of France) as expected, it will be closer than Germany for me ; a good reason to go there if I spare 20 € on two trains :D

Edited by antp

From what I've been told, it is because the retail price is negotiated with local retailers on a country by country basis. Obviously your local retailers think not everybody is willing to go to Germany for cheaper LEGO :-)

That argument would work for retail sets but you see the same strange differences with exclusives. Some sets are cheaper in one country, some sets are cheaper in another.

I really like the look of the set. I just think that they should change the box art a bit before they release it. I like to think of Creator as 3 in 1 sets. I think that they should use the good old Trains logo, as they should have for the Emerald Night, the Maersk Train, and the track packs. Just a minor complaint. The expert label is new; I like that part.

Lego_Trains_logo.png

Edited by LiamM32

That argument would work for retail sets but you see the same strange differences with exclusives. Some sets are cheaper in one country, some sets are cheaper in another.

I was working on the assumption that LEGO brand stores are a franchise in which case TLG negotiates with the local franchise owners on a region by region basis. It's still wild speculation but it fits the observable facts and what we're told by TLG. I guess distribution cost could be a bit different between Germany (being the biggest market hence more efficient) and other European nations. For a while it looked like prices in the UK may have been discounted a bit due to the GFC.

The other option is TLG is lying to us, but that's a bit too much like conspiracy theory for me. They've been very forthcoming in the past in saying that their pricing is set to make LEGO a luxury brand, and we know from their company reports they have a profit margin that is pretty much the envy of every other toy manufacturer, and most other industries. I can't see any real motivation to lie only about this particular detail.

Presuming supply/distribution isn't a problem, wouldn't TLG - like most companies - just pick the price that their research suggests gives the best return per market? Eg:

8120702429_207a0e3858_m.jpg

Just my 2c (to use the old cliche :tongue:)

LLL

Presuming supply/distribution isn't a problem, wouldn't TLG - like most companies - just pick the price that their research suggests gives the best return per market? Eg:

8120702429_207a0e3858_m.jpg

Just my 2c (to use the old cliche :tongue:)

LLL

Spot on, LLL! A power company like TLG does certainly have a couple high-paid power market analysts to maximise profit. I would do exactly the same if I would have so many people on the pay roll - making them all happy and me even happier :classic: :classic: :classic:

Best

Thorsten

Hooray, In my opinion the first "must have " lego train set since the Metroliner. Hope its a sign of things to come.

Hooray, In my opinion the first "must have " lego train set since the Metroliner. Hope its a sign of things to come.

The first?? Missed out on the Emerald Night and the Maersk??

HE is a beauty though!!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

The first?? Missed out on the Emerald Night and the Maersk??

HE is a beauty though!!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

It's true, the last few trains Lego have produced have been amazing quality, and from the looks of this will only be getting better. dramatically.

I think the train looks great...obviously is not ABSOLUTE closely as ORIGINAL tgv, but for me is ok. I´m sure I´ll buy a pair of these sets to make te original composition, with two locomotives or heads.

And one question: would LEGO continue this line with new classic trains? I think It will a good idea, introducing some new sets, and continue with the good job started with "emerald night", "maersk train" and "express horizon". Some ideas for this sets...

"TEE Trans Europ Express"

"EUROSTAR"

"Italian AGV"

Rheingold, Shinkansen, the list could be endless. What about an Orient Express with Berlin Blue Cars. :grin_wub: I think TLG will produce sets like these as long as there is a (large) market for these.

Rheingold, Shinkansen, the list could be endless. What about an Orient Express with Berlin Blue Cars. :grin_wub: I think TLG will produce sets like these as long as there is a (large) market for these.

Now i want to make Pullmann wagons after you made me looking up your ideas.