Rick

10233 Horizon Express

Well it seems we have people who like it and dislike it.....I say run a poll on likes/dislikes. :wink:

Yep! all them "ne sayers" it's too orange, it's too round, its not long enough bla. bla. bla, Why don't we enjoy it like it is after all lego is not going to change the set anymore anyways!

Its a very good rendition of the classic TGV in its proper colour, if you want something better get a job as a TLG designer and show us something better!

I really like these bi-annual releases of an exclusive train set, and haven't been disappointed by one yet!

So whats next?

1 10195 Emerald Night (European Steam)

2 10219 Mearsk Container (American Diesel)

3 10233 Horizon Express (European Electric)

4 XXXXX ????????? ????????? (American Steam)?

5 XXXXX ????????? ????????? (European Diesel)?

6 XXXXX ????????? ????????? (American Electric)?

Guess we will know in 8 years!? :wacko:

Edit* I hope they post the Designer Video soon!

Edited by GRogall

It's OK I guess. The same level as the EN? Not even close. I am actually really surprised at the excitement over this one. The great thing about the Emerald Night is that many, many people look at it on my shelf and don't at first believe it's LEGO. It is such a great recreation that I actually have to take it apart sometimes to show people. The Maersk is another great loco that gets similar comments but I would look at someone sideways if they thought the Horizon Express was anything but LEGO. That being said, I do appreciate the building techniques applied to the train and I think it's a great set to teach advanced building.

I think it looks great. I can understand the disappointment from some of the readers here, as the set will not make a very good parts pack. The parts are very specific to the train it makes. That said, the uncompromising design has made a very good rendition of the iconic train in its famous colour scheme of black on orange.

I'm also pleased they made it an engine car with two carriages, not one carriage with two engines. It works great, it's easier to expand the train without wastage and it encourages customers to buy two - a trend I hope they continue in the future.

I really like these bi-annual releases of an exclusive train set, and haven't been disappointed by one yet!

So whats next?

1 10195 Emerald Night (European Steam)

2 10219 Mearsk Container (American Diesel)

3 10233 Horizon Express (European Electric)

4 XXXXX ????????? ????????? (American Steam)?

5 XXXXX ????????? ????????? (European Diesel)?

6 XXXXX ????????? ????????? (American Electric)?

Guess we will know in 8 years!? :wacko:

Edit* I hope they post the Designer Video soon!

Maybe a Japanese Bullet Train or hopefully a New Exculsive station.

So if the name is changing to Creator Expert series does this mean that it will inculde alternative models? Or maybe alternative interiors? Hopefully it shouldn't replace the Maersk Train straightaway, after all the Emerald Znight wasn't replaced straightaway.

Very nice set, I'm not that into trains but I appreciate the fact that "advanced" building technics made it into an official set and of course I'm excited about these new parts, the inverted tile and the angled plate.

Kinda new to trains-- but by looking at this I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to wire the lights in, correct? I put them in th Passenger Train and REALLY liked the final effect.

Love the interior here! Exceptional detail as always!

Cool. And a January release would be just right for my birthday, it must be fate. I'd better start dropping hints now...

I love this I'm going to get two of them and I will modify the bogies so that they look like the real thing. Will also get the full power functions kit as well. I just wish they would sell a straight track pack only. I have so many cursed flexible track and curve track. Flexible track has its uses but sometimes I just want straight track because it looks better and it works best for straight runs.

It's OK I guess. The same level as the EN? Not even close. I am actually really surprised at the excitement over this one. The great thing about the Emerald Night is that many, many people look at it on my shelf and don't at first believe it's LEGO. It is such a great recreation that I actually have to take it apart sometimes to show people. The Maersk is another great loco that gets similar comments but I would look at someone sideways if they thought the Horizon Express was anything but LEGO. That being said, I do appreciate the building techniques applied to the train and I think it's a great set to teach advanced building.

I sort of agree, it doesn't quite have the "That's Lego!?!?!" appearance that the Emerald Night has. However the price we paid for that look was, most probably, only getting the one passenger car to go with it. In contrast, here we get a 'reasonable' length train with just one set and much better expandability by buying a secondary set, because when you do you aren't having to put a large proportion of the set contents into a 'spares' pile unlike with the EN.

The same level as the EN? Not even close.

I agree... but with the opposing meaning : I do not like steam engines so for me the EN was uninteresting no matter how well it was made :tongue:

I prefer electric/diesel trains, and (in real life) the orange TGV is probably one of my favourites :sweet:

Hi everyone,

just rediscovered Lego recently and I am really excited about this. Did anyone notice that the description states to update the train with the PF lights? Might be easier to light up than the Maersk in the end!! :cry_happy:

Sebastian

Much has already been said, let me add my 5c on this beautiful train:

Pro:

- all the detail. Wonderful rendition to the original!

- a lot SNOT

- no track

- no PF

Con:

- for my taste too many minifigs. I read a lot of people like them, but who on earth needs 6 more minifigs??? :hmpf: All people buying this set have tons of minifigs at home. And if you display the train on a show, nobody will see them. I would have preferred less, or better no figs at all and save some money on them.

Ambivalent:

Very smart move: You need to buy 2 trains to get a decent one. Making it double the price of course. Think again if you consider this cheap. Especially when you are planning on electrifying it. You'll end up with around 250€! :look: Still cheap?

On the other hand I like to have two :grin: and there are almost no leftovers (besides the minifigs)! Again - smart move, TLG!

What a fine-looking train. Very interesting that it appears to so closely resemble a real-world train without actually being named as it, just as the Emerald Night apparently was. I like all the detail and playability in the interior. I actually think I see the aesthetic connections to the rest of the Creator line, even while at the same time it does stand up to all the expectations one has of the exclusive, D2C, AFOL-focused sets. I'd love to get this one myself. :wub: Well done, Mr. Berard! And :thumbup: for not only having sex/gender equity among the minifigure complement, but also putting a woman in charge of the train. It's still a shame such things are rare and unusual enough in LEGO sets to warrant commenting on, but at least it's nice to see here.

Love it, the running coffee machine joke appears in this set

I love how it features the running joke of using wheels on a vehicle.

:tongue:

Great! illegal techniques in a LEGO set!

I think this "eXpert" line will come out quite well

What illegal techniques - the sloped planes of the "cheese wedges" being right against one another? Or do you mean something else? I'm not sure I see any illegal techniques here (though there actually have been plenty of other LEGO sets before that used what are now considered illegal techniques).

I am actually very excited about this set and this indeed come as a surprise to me! I thought it was some kind of Santa FE revival, hey, it is the similar train concept back then. I am glad TLG is embarking this. :thumbup:

Con:

- for my taste too many minifigs. I read a lot of people like them, but who on earth needs 6 more minifigs??? :hmpf: All people buying this set have tons of minifigs at home. And if you display the train on a show, nobody will see them. I would have preferred less, or better no figs at all and save some money on them.

too many minifigs?! you can never have enough figs in a set, imo! :tongue:

i think the train has some nice features, like the black windows, but i think the nose has too many sharp edges... that bit just doesn't look the way it's supposed to...

still, a nice set

I am not in trains at all, but this is one is great.

I might just start to have some of them.

Looks great. My kids will love it. I'll get two. Awesome job by TLG + the designer :classic:

All the whiners, can't you grow down a bit? You're missing the joy in the toy.

Buy it, build it, crash it, smash it.

Then build it again.

Edited by andythenorth