Rick

10233 Horizon Express

I personally love the orange colour scheme and brick built nose. Are half those minifigs new?

Wow! This one came as a complete surprise but a very nice one at that. The idea of a Creator "expert" line is also quite intriguing, possibly a sign we'll see some more advanced building techniques becoming a bit more mainstream.

I'm not really into the train stuff but this set is absolutely gorgeous. Great pieces, nice Minifigs and a good price too, this may well be my first train :classic:

Hi

very cool. As someone who do not own any trains and usally even did not plan to start with them this might change everything. The parts are so usefull for e.g. car MOCs, it is a shame not to get them. Lego seems to hear AFOLs crying for uncommon colors: sandgreen HH and now this train in orange....

Dino

Wow LEGO really has set a new bar with this train. It looks wonderful and its quite long with both of this cars. More importantly however green bottles :tongue: only joking. This train already is a must buy for me next year.

Looks like it is designed to make AFOLs buy at least two of these to make a complete train. Nevermind, I am sure I can live with that. At last something to use my VIP points on.

I built an experimental train MOC about a week ago [my first Train MOC] and it looks very similar to this; I was designing it after a generic high-speed train, and wanted an excuse to use my orange parts. Now I've upstaged by the company who produced my bricks! :sad:

This was a great surprise this morning! I've never owned a Lego train before, but this set will definitely me make reconsider that! :sweet:

the price seems a bit steep when you can get a train set with track and power functions for not that much more?? that said, i need a set. does it come with instructions for motorising???

The train you can get for the same price, the 7938, is not in this league at all. That is the price for the track and PF parts

Why include the :hmpf_bad: face? I think this is a good thing. I have been put of by quite a few trains that are super-expensive because they have all the electronic parts with them, I might actually buy this set.

The :hmpf_bad: face is because TLG only mentions the much more expensive 8878/8887 combo instead of the much cheaper 87513 option :wink:

I'm very happy this train comes without track or PF parts. I got all that covered and I really hope this is what where gonna see in the future. This way makes _much_ better trains

We just need some decent track packages, sigh

We just need some decent track packages, sigh

Totally agree I'm not a fan of the flexible track. I wish that LEGO would just bring out curved rails as a stand alone track pack.

Also after taking a second look at the train the colour combo reminds me of Sebulba's pod racer. Not that I'm complaining this train looks wonderful, would be interesting to see what it would look like with yellow instead of orange. Would remind me of a much older LEGO train which was the first Train I ever owned.

Totally agree I'm not a fan of the flexible track. I wish that LEGO would just bring out curved rails as a stand alone track pack.

Also after taking a second look at the train the colour combo reminds me of Sebulba's pod racer. Not that I'm complaining this train looks wonderful, would be interesting to see what it would look like with yellow instead of orange. Would remind me of a much older LEGO train which was the first Train I ever owned.

I don't mind the flex, but just take a look at any (large) train setup, be it LEGO or not, the majority of tracks used are straights. I don't believe the urban legend that TLG moulds the curved and straights together, so let us have them in packs of eight or whatever :thumbup:

Haha, I was thinking Sebulba's podracer too! As far as I can see all the orange parts come in yellow as well :sweet:

Edited by 1974

As far as I can tell, nobody who actually witnessed the train being presented by its designer Jamie Berard to an enthusiastic audience here at the LEGO Fan Weekend in Skærbæk tonight, has commented on this yet - maybe they're too exhausted after partying - but let me be the first one then. It looks very nice, and like many others here I will probably buy two of them. If I understood Jamie correctly, the Creator Expert tag is what the Exclusive sets will be labelled with from now on - so it's the exact same kind of release as the EN and the Maersk. Among the most interesting parts are the windscreen piece, which according to Jamie has been printed for the first time, and the inverted 2x2 tiles in dk bluish grey. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people around tomorrow who had a closer look at the model than I did - after all, I'm not much of a train guy - and they will probably be able to give you a lot more details :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's a club car and a regular passenger car, and - again, if I remember correctly - in the passenger car there's a toilet with a sliding door. And the whole top of the cars, everything above the horizontally mounted windows, comes off for easy access.

Also, the front part of that pattern on the side of the locomotive, with the diagonal line, is a printed tile. And, like the EN, it comes with extra stickers for those who want to expand the train.

Edited by L@go

Wow I just saw this set and I want it so badly :wub: . I have tried to built a highspeed train a few times as a kid but this is so much better!!!

I actually want two of them to make a real tgv, maybe after modding the boogie in the middle to a jakobsboogie like on the real train. I am glad though that LEGO sells it without the pf, it keeps the prize down. I usually don't use a train to run it anyway, my EN is also just a display model.

Anyway it's a great set, well done LEGO :thumbup:

WOW. Just WOW. I would have to rank this as one of the greatest train sets of all time, better than any passenger train LEGO have produced to date with the possible exception of the Emerald Night and maybe the Santa Fe Super Chief. After seeing this, any thoughts I had of spending some of my limited LEGO budget on buying the Town Hall have vanished, this is SO much cooler :)

Loving the minifigs.

The bottle piece in trans-green is awesome, as is the head on the guy with the green jumper (I cant put my finger on who but the head makes me think of a famous geek who's face I can remember but not the name or why they are famous). Hopefully the new head appears in a few smaller sets so I can pick up a couple :)

Is the hair on the female with the blue shirt a new piece?

Looks like a very nice train, have not tried the battery powered trains ..still using the 9v ..wonder if it can be motorised with the old system of metal rails.

Given that the Power Functions motor and the old 9V motor are the same size, I see no reason you couldn't fit a 9V motor to this set.

Oh heck yes! I'm defiantly buying this! The colors, the shape and detail are just amazing. :wub: Also I like that this time we have a woman train driver for once. :classic:

Ok, why did they use wheels w/ rubber bands on the front bogey of the engine? I can't see it on the box image, but the later batch of images w/ the closeups of the cars, you can see rubber bands on the front bogey but not any of the others. At first I thought maybe they were going to power it with a PF motor inside (similar to EN) rather than the train motor, but the description from Lego does specifically say to add the train motor. So I dunno...

As far as I can tell, nobody who actually witnessed the train being presented by its designer Jamie Berard to an enthusiastic audience here at the LEGO Fan Weekend in Skærbæk tonight, has commented on this yet - maybe they're too exhausted after partying - but let me be the first one then. It looks very nice, and like many others here I will probably buy two of them. If I understood Jamie correctly, the Creator Expert tag is what the Exclusive sets will be labelled with from now on - so it's the exact same kind of release as the EN and the Maersk. Among the most interesting parts are the windscreen piece, which according to Jamie has been printed for the first time, and the inverted 2x2 tiles in dk bluish grey. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people around tomorrow who had a closer look at the model than I did - after all, I'm not much of a train guy - and they will probably be able to give you a lot more details :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's a club car and a regular passenger car, and - again, if I remember correctly - in the passenger car there's a toilet with a sliding door. And the whole top of the cars, everything above the horizontally mounted windows, comes off for easy access.

Also, the front part of that pattern on the side of the locomotive, with the diagonal line, is a printed tile. And, like the EN, it comes with extra stickers for those who want to expand the train.

So is Jamie the designer of this set? Because it looks like a Jamie set.

Wow! :oh3: That is awesome! It's the Sebulba Express. :tongue: Clever of TLG to make it look completely mandatory to buy 2, much like 10223 Joust. :wink: I like the figs, too! The old man could use white hair though...looks like had a dye job.