Asper

MOD: 7938 with Jakobs Bogies

Hello,

I always thought that 7938 looked like some of the local trains of "Deutsche Bahn" in Germany, especially like BR644 "Talent" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Talent). But it was lacking doors and shared "Jakobs" bogies. So I decided to try the idea to use part 2605c01 to build a train without gaps. It's not my idea, I read about this "on the internet" - I do not know when or where, sorry.

Here's what I came up with - the doors do not open, but the bogies work flawlessly ("(+)" links to bigger images on brickshelf)

mod7938_1.jpg(+)

mod7938_2.jpg(+)

mod7938_3.jpg(+)

2 of the springs at each bogie will close the gap on straight tracks:

mod7938_4.jpg(+)

mod7938_5.jpg(+)

This is still close to 7938 and not to the Talent - I concentrated on the bogies this time.

Hope you like it and find the idea useful ( maybe it can be used in the new LEGO TGV ? )

Steffen

... Hope you like it and find the idea useful ( maybe it can be used in the new LEGO TGV ? )

Steffen

Hi Steffen,

this is absolutely brilliant. I had these spring thingies ordered from BL almost a year ago and wanted to do exactly what you did ... this is fantastic - and saves a lot of time.

Thank you for sharing!

Regards,

Thorsten

The bogies are definitely nice - but what stands out most to me in particular is the doors you've added. They might be simple and non-functional, but they add a world of difference in my opinion. The most recent round of official train designs, while some of the best we've ever had, seem awfully awkward without proper doors.

The use of those spring pieces is pretty ingenious. Too bad they aren't produced any longer..

That looks really nice, Like the real one.

You have done it very well with the bogies and bricks.

I drive with the same bricks on my TGV's for almost 8 years now.

It drives great into the corners.

Great invention :)

dscn1775s.jpg

The spring brick is a good idea, but it's not new to be honest.

I saw it almost 10 years ago in a crocodile moc by Eric Brok with the same design shared bogies as yours.

I saved a print out of it since I always thought it was a brilliant design.

You can also have a look at O-train by Jason Allemann, he's got a clever shared bogie design.

I drive with the same bricks on my TGV's for almost 8 years now.

I saw it almost 10 years ago in a crocodile moc by Eric Brok with the same design shared bogies as yours.

Well, both of you seem to have used or at least seen the design shown by Steffen for almost a decade now ... that is impressive! I tried to google Eric Brok's approach for quite some time now - mind to share any links that still work? Lugnet points to pages that don't exist or don't load anymore - sadly enough Eric passed away years ago.

Obviously there exist several alternatives to the spring brick approach. But that brick is just smiling at me - and I am simply not smart enough to get this to work.

Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Thorsten

I have to say that idea with the springs is pretty good. I think I have a few of them lying about and may have to try it out.

I know this, but I could not remember where I saw it before. I did not know Eric Brok or his creations either, sad enough that he passed away. Do you have any links to his creations?

You can also have a look at O-train by Jason Allemann, he's got a clever shared bogie design.

Yes, I know this one and have successfully tested his rubber ring connection. However I found the train not easy to decouple, so I wanted to try the spring-bricks.

(And I know that I entered this hobby too late (2009) to invent something really new...)

I've done that with my 7938 passanger train and I got thoose black things to be able to stick out both of the cars. And I did not have to extend the cars.

• Absolutely brilliant. :thumbup: This will certenly look good underneath the new TGV. Thank you for sharing this with us. I am lucky to have the springparts already in my stack of unused parts. One or two Space models were fitted with these. Now i can use them for a train. :grin_wub:

I missed this topic the first time around. I just found this picture of a DB 442 EMU a few days ago and though that would be a fun project. And then this thread got a little kick...

I missed this topic the first time around. I just found this picture of a DB 442 EMU a few days ago and though that would be a fun project. And then this thread got a little kick...

... glad this thread surfaced again ... Big Bangs are so stressing ...

@Asper: Do you mind posting the image that showed how you mounted the little springy thing? Thanks a lot!!!