zephyr1934

Custom Steam Locomotive Rods

The BR 53-003 is on line! :classic:

Thanks zephyr1934 ...my crazy project is now completed! :wink:

Oh wow, that is a fantastic build! I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.

Would it be possible to use these rods to fit a 7760 engine and what wheels would you use? It doesn't have to be powered.

Would it be possible to use these rods to fit a 7760 engine and what wheels would you use? It doesn't have to be powered.

Probably yes if you don't mind a compromise. I don't have any of the 12v wheels or the 12v rods so I couldn't replicate the connection (and as mentioned earlier in this thread, I do not have the resolution to fabricate pins). The quick and easy solution would be to use the modern PF train wheels, 55423, or BBB small wheels then use something like this across the center axles,

d3-7b.jpg

You could probably use this to also hold the center wheel in place if you did not have a 12 motor. Of course that approach does not have the the rod actually moving with the wheels. I could also do my "thin" design, shown here in white, if the standard rods are too "heavy" looking.

d4-10thin-white.jpg

If you wanted the rods to move with the wheels and you don't mind modifying your lego, I'd suggest using a technic axle and this lift arm,

60483.gif

as a guide to drill a pin hole from the back side of the 66423 wheels.

Or if you want to keep it pure, you could use

2853.gif

but your locomotive would be wider and I've found that the axle holder on these parts do not have much clutch compared to other technic connectors.

... my black rods arrived earlier this week:

8746911409_84d42b72e1_b.jpgEmerald Night with Zephyr's custom rods by alainneke, on Flickr

Finally got rid of those Technic beams!

Hi Alain(neke),

I'm also from Belgium, and like your modifications on the EN!

I would like to do the same modifications.

Just ordered the needed pieces. :)

i like to get this ready by end April this year so i can use the EN on the Steam Center Maldegem show on 3 & 4 Mai 2014.

i would like to meet you too, so if possible you're welcome!

The used smoke generator is a Seuthe, any particular type?

When looking at the Conrad site, there are different types available.

regards,

Ludo

Edited by Ludo

Hi Ludo,

(Sorry Zephyr1934 for hijacking your thread!)

Thanks for the kind words! I've done some additional mods since taking the above picture:

12561055054_0aafaf3ae3_b.jpgLEGO Emerald Night by alainneke, on Flickr

Apart from visual changes, I managed to source a sound decoder with the Flying Scottsman sounds. I'm also particularly proud of my custom made nickel silver wheels on the tender :grin:

The Seuthe smoke generator used is a number 7, as my track voltage is about 18V.

Thanks for the invitation for Maldegem! I'll surely stop by and take a look.

(Sorry Zephyr1934 for hijacking your thread!)

Oh, I don't know if that is much of a hijack, it is always neat to see the creations folks build with the rods. The more so, the better (and here, let me hijack it back with a gratuitous mention of the LDraw files for endless free virtual building, grin).

Now back on (off?) topic, I think the EN could be spruced up quite a bit by replacing the cheese bricks on the top of the smoke deflector with,

one of 15068.jpg or two of 11477.jpg

while the fenders over the driver wheels could really use some of these 93273.jpg

all parts that were introduced since the EN was released.

I knew about the newer sloped fenders, but nice suggestion regarding the slopes for the smoke deflectors (actually, I run without the deflectors anyway).

I am wondering why they didn't use more 1x2 cheese slopes instead of the 1x1 cheese slopes. It's less parts count and the slopes tend to be used in even numbers anyway.

I also replaced the receiver area with two more green slopes and preferred to push the loco from the back using a PF box car.

c311d221-ae5f-4c38-a229-0dee0484177a_zps5a5fb9bb.jpg

Going back on topic. .. .

Does anyone have pics of a successful valve gear setup for the EN?

I am wondering why they didn't use more 1x2 cheese slopes instead of the 1x1 cheese slopes. It's less parts count and the slopes tend to be used in even numbers anyway.

Going back on topic. .. .

Does anyone have pics of a successful valve gear setup for the EN?

I think the EN design predated the 1x2 cheese slopes, otherwise it probably would have had a bunch of them (they were both released the same year, but the EN came early in the year).

Now as for valve gear on the EN, I would think something would be doable. Making a full set of valve gear like this example would require a complete redesign of the mechanicals. The main obstacles being (1) the fact that the EN uses all four studs between the wheels, so there is no where to stash the backside of the eccentric (necessary to get the 45 deg rotation), and (2) the piston is mounted fairly high (in part to clear the pilot truck), leaving little room to then slip the valve gear above the cylinder without looking a little odd.

One thing that the EN has going for it is the fact that the drivers are fixed to the boiler, eliminating the need to make the design tolerate that kind of lateral motion. So it should be fairly easy to assemble a two bar valve gear assembly similar to this example up to the rocker bar (leaving out the last two bars on the right, due to #2 above). If that is something of great interest let me know and I could take a stab at the design.

Okay, I'll put something together. It will have to wait until next week though, as we have guests sleeping next to the lego room this weekend.

vm2.gif

Okay, I've come up with a valve gear design for the EN. You can find the details here (yeah, the photo quality isn't what it should be). I wanted to keep this simple enough that it will not cause heart attacks. Much more complicated designs are possible, e.g., using Cale's idea here

I've also added more LDraw part files here

Apart from visual changes, I managed to source a sound decoder with the Flying Scottsman sounds.

May I ask which decoder and where you bought it or got the sounds?

I have considered to get one myself from Olivia's Trains or Howes Models in UK.

May I ask which decoder and where you bought it or got the sounds?

I have considered to get one myself from Olivia's Trains or Howes Models in UK.

I used a Zimo MX645 (the wired version), which I bought from digitrains.co.uk . It came pre-loaded with the Flying Scotsman sounds.

will you be adding the little valve gear rods aswell in LDRaw files? You know, the 2L2holes and 3L3holes

will you be adding the little valve gear rods aswell in LDRaw files? You know, the 2L2holes and 3L3holes

Yes he will. I'm making them now ;-)

The LDraw files for the 2mm valve gear bars are now posted here, and the 3 mm bars will be coming soon. And again, much thanks to Duq for these files

thx alot for those, just when I'll be needing them to start finalizing the design of my project, you know which one :wink:

These are great! Just two things. First, They look a bit rough in the pictures. Are they supposed to look like that? And Secondly, how exactly do you make them?

These are great! Just two things. First, They look a bit rough in the pictures. Are they supposed to look like that? And Secondly, how exactly do you make them?

Hi Wolfcraft, welcome to Eurobricks and thanks for the kind words. Yes, they have a matte surface and they are a little grainy. If you look close at them you will definitely not mistake them for lego. However, they do a good job blending in, so often you will not notice the slightly rough surface. I personally think it is more pronounced in the photos because many of the shots in my brickshelf pages are larger than life (and I'm not a great photo editor, but don't tell anyone, okay?).

The nice thing about this rapid prototyping is that there is very little setup cost for the first item. So it is well suited for special requests. I have fabricated over 60 different part designs for the rods and bars, many only once or twice for special orders (want a half stud offset, asymmetrical rod? No problem). Everyone is going to want a slightly different spacing. Another nice feature with the rods is the fact that I can go much longer than the standard 7 long half thick technic beam.

The down side about this rapid prototyping is that there are very few economies of scale. I am able to absorb the setup costs by fabricating many parts at a time, but that only goes so far and the prices are high because that is what I need to charge. However, at this price, I definitely want you to be happy. So use your judgement.

Oh, and note that my store only lists the most common parts. If you want something else, just send a message either via EB or BL messages and we see what is feasible.

I wasn't expecting to have such a long response as what you did. I will be sure to contact you when I get into making steam locomotives (I've never made one before because I'm really into diesel electrics and have built many of 'em). And I desperately need a 9v track and motor for making practical switchers/shunters. So until I get those, sadly I will not be into steam locomotives. Thanks for reading!

The BR 53-003 is on line! :classic:

Thanks zephyr1934 ...my crazy project is now completed! :wink:

br53-003-003.jpg

Wow! You really captured the look of that train! I'm not the best at building steam locomotives but the same cannot be said about you! Keep up the good work! ;)

Edited by Wolfcraft

Hello from Austria (where Vienna is, not the country with the Kangaroos)

First of all, Zephyr you made a great work and I am going to order a set of the Black rods for the EN

But I have also a question, the reason why I reply to this topic:

can you also create Parts like this? (pictures below) Link: https://thelegocarblog.com/tag/steam-train/

Best Regards

Patrick

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

Edited by Pelzer117

Hi all,

Does anyone know if we can add the rods for a winter train 10254 ? Any store available for the parts ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Charnchai

Greetings Charnchai,

that is an excellent question. Looking at the design of the engine it would be very tough to impossible to fit rods on it without doing a massive redesign of the loco (especially when motorized since the motor replaces the pilot truck), sorry about that.

Benn