Sign in to follow this  
David Thomsen

Creator: Expert

Most of the discussion about the new "10233: Horizontal Express" set is taking place in 'Train Tech' forum, but since it's actually a 'Creator' set I think it's worth mentioning in this forum also. Particularly, the new 'Expert' tag it has on it I think is worthy of discussion.

What, exactly, does the 'Expert' tag mean? For a start, it does not seem to have any alternative builds, so I'm not sure it really qualifies as a proper 'Creator' set. On the other hand, it is like an 'Exclusive' set that is more accessible and affordable. Maybe a bit simpler, but I actually prefer an easy build sometimes because it reminds me of the way Lego was when I was a kid, when the equivalent of 'Creator' sets were just 'Lego' sets. The builds are less fidgety and the pieces more flexible than 'Exclusive' sets.

Actually, looking at the piece, count, it's not much more than other Creator sets of previous years, like the Transport Ferry and the Highway Transport. So maybe the 'Expert' tag just applies to the fact that the build is compatible with minifigs and contains six of them.

What do you think of this new 'Expert' set? Are you unhappy that they seems to be moving further away from the 'Creator' spirit by including minifigs but no alternative builds, or happy that this is set in the '10xxx' range that is accessible and affordable?

I just learned about this a few minutes ago myself and came to EB to see if there was any discussion yet. I think the train is really nice, and I'm more excited about the Creator Expert series. However, I'm not so sure that really means much. It's just a new name for something that already exists, it seems. Is it going to be any different from previous models, such as the Taj Mahal, Tower Bridge, Volkswagen Beetle, Shuttle Expedition, Maersk Container Ship, Sopwith Camel, etc.? For example, the T1 Camper Van doesn't have "Creator" on the box, but it can be found on Lego's website under that theme. It looks to me like those type of models will now get the Creator Expert label. But maybe there's more to it, I don't know.

I don't think "Creator Expert" is a new subtheme. I think Aanchir is right when he says that it is part of the new rumored ranking system for marking the build difficulty on the boxes in 2013.

Whether the Horizon Express (not Horizontal Express :laugh: ) qualifies as a Creator set or not should probably be discussed in the thread for that set.

Whether the Horizon Express (not Horizontal Express :laugh: ) qualifies as a Creator set should probably be discussed in the thread for that set.

But it says 'Creator' on the box!

I think Drdesigns is right though... the '10xxx' set number and the lack of alternative builds means this is really a D2C set with new packaging. And if all 'Creator' sets are going to have difficulty rankings on them now, there isn't as much to discuss as I thought there was.