Sebeus I

Merchant Brig

[pid][/pid] 141C

12 gun brig Elizabeth.

The equivalent of the Interceptor...

Or you could say it's based on the Lady Washington, which plays the Interceptor in Pirates of the Caribbean :pir-classic:

dsc07933.jpg

A 12 gun Brig, built on (old) prefab hulls with three midsections (the hull from my Technic ship infact, too bad, that was one unique ship.

I used the technic components to build a remote controlled car but that's a story for later).

Anyway...

dsc07894.jpg

As you may notice this ship does indeed have the proportions of the famous movie ship (location of the cannon ports, masts and decks) but it does not match its colors.

For this ship I worked with whatever parts I had left.

I didn't have enough tan for instant so I used white, the green cannon ports are from the Skull's Eye Schooner. Using green on a ship is risky and the ship still needed a color for the upper parts and railing.

I tried different colors but eventually only dark red resulted in a balanced color scheme.

dsc07911.jpg

dsc07904.jpg

A (dark) tan deck would have been nice but unfortunatly I do not have enough of that color so I used the traditional gray like the old official ships use.

And now time for an interesting building Idea:

dsc07916.jpg

Note how the spanker was attached, it's a very functional construction.

dsc07917.jpg

Maybe I should make a video to show how well it works...

dsc07902.jpg

I thought this was nice.

Now to the lifeboat!

dsc07922.jpg

The stern is kind of simple, I didn't have any square lattice windows left :pir-sceptic:

dsc07925.jpg

A look into the cabin...

dsc07938.jpg

...which is fully accessible ofcourse :pir-grin:

dsc07937.jpg

And now it's time for comparisons :pir-devil:

dsc07941.jpg

From left to right we have: the Beauty, the Intersector, the Christine (which is being worked on as well) and this merchant Brig.

These ships have all been build with the same building technique, a simple construction that needs only few hinges allows me to make fleet instead of a singe ship (ofcourse I have a couple of prefab hulls ready).

In fact I have a another unused hull laying here, if I would demolish my frigate Farore's Wind I could use the parts to build two ships.

But I kind of like my frigate too much to demolish it :pir-classic:

Merchant Barquentine against Merchant Brig, who would win ?

dsc07949.jpg

Brig against Brig, same question ?

dsc07951.jpg

And now a question far more interesting; which of these beauties has the nicest butt ?

:pir_laugh2:

dsc07954.jpg

Edited by Sebeus I

You never fail to impress me Sebeus. Your knowledge of ships is so impressive. This is such a great brig. Your sails are incredible also. :pir-oh:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Nice job on this one! pirate_classic.gif I specially like the dark-red/green colourscheme and the tumblehome technique which is very nice. That way of building the spanker is surely impressive and very clever! It looks very solid but IMO it is a bit too complicated though the shape is great pir_laugh2.gif I don't specially like the connection between the bowsprit and the jib-boom but with that gray deck she certainly looks like a classic set.

From those 4 ships you presented I would say this is the best. And she also has my favourite butt stern pirate_tong.gif

Impressive! You're such a talented builder with loads of ideas and always come up with new techniques! Really hope to see the youtube video as promised, lol. :pir_laugh2:

Impressive! You're such a talented builder with loads of ideas and always come up with new techniques! Really hope to see the youtube video as promised, lol. :pir_laugh2:

And here it is:

And while I was at it I took this shot of the brig engaging with Farore's Wind :pir-classic:

dsc07967.jpg

Either the sails of the brig are too big or the sails of the frigate are too small...

or maybe both :pir-sceptic:

Btw, you can expect an update on Farore's Wind as well, I reworked the stern a bit, did some things on the deck,...

Soon my ships will go to war, I have a very decent fleet now

A frigate, brig-of-war, merchant brig, barquentine, sloop-of-war, a huge ghostship and an East-indaman in the making :pir-devil:

And ofcourse some smaller ships not worth mentioning.

One of these days I'll take some epic battle pictures, I have been building these ships for so long now, it's time to play with them, first I'll make the traditional redcoat VS bluecoat scene, I'll devide my ships into these two groups...

:jollyroger:

Edited by Sebeus I

I'm quite old and I used to say myself I'm using bricks to make sculptures...truth is: lego are games, and games are made to play! Can't wait to see your battles, maybe on your comics.

Great work Sebeus! There is definite character in this ship. I kind of like the rounded stern windows, it works well with the ship so hopefully you keep them. Also like the spanker boom idea, though I think black ropes would be better suited. Lovely build :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Very nice as always Sebeus. I love the spanker boom and gaff. I had planned a similar idea with my old HMS Icarus. You can see in one of the later pictures how I was planning to do it. Your idea is superior though since mine required the tying of knots and yours simply snaps together. Well done! :thumbup:

Very nice as always Sebeus. I love the spanker boom and gaff. I had planned a similar idea with my old HMS Icarus. You can see in one of the later pictures how I was planning to do it. Your idea is superior though since mine required the tying of knots and yours simply snaps together. Well done! :thumbup:

Thanks, long time.

Your spanker boom looks stronger I'd say and the use of that dish within the mast is great.

I share your love for the Interceptor :pir-classic:

Frigates sails are too small...

Great Brig! I am building one at the moment, I think I will try your style of not much rope and LEGO rigging. (that has nothing to do with the fact I am almost out of string :grin: )

Keep it up!

~Legonardo

Frigates sails are too small...

Great Brig! I am building one at the moment, I think I will try your style of not much rope and LEGO rigging. (that has nothing to do with the fact I am almost out of string :grin: )

Keep it up!

~Legonardo

hehe, I'm a big fan of studded ropes, simply because they're easy to use and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to rigging :rofl:

Both LEGO string and your way to fix the sails works great, the whole work appears "clean" and very accessible, specially considering your "comic" purpose!

Great work, although I'm a big fan of tiled decks it still works very well, love the colors! :thumbup:

It's a great looking ship, the Lady Washington comes to the Wooden Boat Festival almost every year in my city of residence, Olympia WA.

Hey Sebeus. Finally got around to blogging this if you were ever wondering. Sorry for taking so long. :laugh:

Both LEGO string and your way to fix the sails works great, the whole work appears "clean" and very accessible, specially considering your "comic" purpose!

Yep, she will serve in my comic, the main characters will need a bigger ship at some point.

Just awesome.

For some Living History Experience check www.lagrace.eu, hope you like it same way as me °;-)

Very interesting (had to search via google, the link doesn't work).

Hey Sebeus. Finally got around to blogging this if you were ever wondering. Sorry for taking so long. :laugh:

No problem :laugh:

some dude is desperately trying get banned once again! Hey mods, are you guys blind?

Well, since this tread has been bumped now anyway I can as well add something to make it worth checking it out again pirate_classic.gif .

dsc00920.jpg

The ship now has new stern windows and I closed the gaps in the prefab hull.

dsc09897.jpg

It's still not perfect but it's close (This picture was taken earlier, before I changed the windows).

Here's how I did it;

dsc09908.jpg

Edited by Sebeus I

Very clever! It's always good to see the little things that you come up with! Also, is that a giraffe on board that I see?

Very clever! It's always good to see the little things that you come up with! Also, is that a giraffe on board that I see?

Yes, my sister built it, on the event it was more popular than the ship it was on pir_laugh2.gif

1356086202m_DISPLAY.jpg

Now that I'm seeing these old pictures of the ship I think I better take some more new ones, the deck has changed as well.