Sign in to follow this  
Deathleech

What Do YOU Hope for in the Upcoming Hobbit Sets?

While still not confirmed, we have heard from numerous sources what the names for the first wave of Lego Hobbit sets will most likely be. We have also gotten rough price estimates. My question is, what does everyone hope is in these sets? What would make them the perfect set in your eyes, or what do you think will be in them? Here are my thoughts:

Gollum's Cave

MSRP: $9.99

Minifigures: Bilbo Baggins and Gollum

Description:

I have a feeling this set will most likely be $12.99 like Gandalf Arrives, though I really hope it is only $9.99. Of course this set will include Bilbo Baggins and Gollum. I don't really see any other figure possibilities beyond that since the entire scene is just these two telling riddles and then Gollum chasing Bilbo. I would guess this set would come with a boat for Gollum and possibly some fish accessories, as well as a small brick built island with a little water around it where Gollum lives.

Spiders of Mirkwood Forest

MSRP: $39.99

Minifigures: Bilbo Baggins, Fili, Kili, Bilfur, Oin

Description:

I believe it has already been estimated this set will fill the $29.99 spot, but I really hope not. I would love to see this set at the 39.99 price point and include a couple of the dwarves, Bilbo, and 3 medium sized brick built spiders similar to Shelob (whom I think has a FANTASTIC build!). The set instead could include several trees and vegetation with some spider webs between them holding them all together. While I would prefer not to include Bilbo in yet another set since he is already in 3, it's hard not to include him when he is pretty much the hero of this scene in the books and makes it all possible for the dwarves to escape.

Attack of the Wargs

MSRP: $29.99

Minifigures: Gandalf the Gray, 1 Great Eagle, 2 Wargs, 2 Goblins

Description:

To me this seems like the PERFECT army (or creature?) building pack. It would be a bit more pricey like the Uruk-Hai Army set, but it would totally be worth it. You could get two Goblins and 2 Wargs which you could also use to recreate the scene from the LotR: TTT. You would also get a Great Eagle and Gandalf to give the baddies someone to battle (plus, Gandalf is really the only one who does anything in this scene in the book). The set would also include 2 or 3 trees and a small part of the forest with fire, which could be used with the Mirkwood set mentioned above to create a much larger forest. Buy a couple of these sets and you could quickly build a HUGE forest (yes, I know this forest was technically different than Mirkwood, but you could still use them together), and help fill your ranks for the Battle of the Five Armies later.

An Unexpected Gathering

MSRP: $59.99

Minifigs: Gandalf the Gray, Bilbo Baggins, Balin, Bofur, Bombur, Dwalin

Description:

We already know what this set will contain for sure so there really is no point speculating since there is nothing to even speculate over!

Escape in the Barrels

MSRP: $80

Minifigs: Thorin, Gloin, Nori, Dori, Ori, Head Elf Prison Guard, Elf Butler

Description:

I could see this set going one of two ways. It could be more of the Elf palace (which I am sure many people would LOVE), but isn't really mentioned much in the book, or it could be more focused on the barrel room and prisons the dwarves are held in and the trap door to send them all down to the river below. Either way I imagine this set containing a large chunk of the dwarven company, much like Bag End/An Unexpected Gathering. It should definitely have an elf or two in way of the head guard and butler. There should be several large barrels of course, for all the dwarves to fit in and recreate the scene. the play feature should be a trap door they can sit on, with a piece that can be pulled out to let the door go and the barrels fall down to the river below.

The Orc King

MSRP: $100

Minifigures: Gandalf the Gray, Thorin Oakenshield, The Great Goblin, 3 Goblins

Description:

I imagine this set being much like the Mines of Moria set, but being slightly bigger and depicting a good chunk of Goblin Town rather than part of a small room. I could see the Goblin King being a new mold similar to the Cave Troll, but not quite as big (if what we see in the trailer is any indication of his size). Hopefully they could also have a tunnel or something, and maybe even 1 or 2 of the other dwarves, but who knows. Gandalf is pretty much mandatory in this set seeing as how he kills the Great Goblin and makes the dwarf escape possible, while Thorin also seems to be a shoe in since he helps fend off the pursuing goblins at least a few times.

I found placing all of Thorin's company in this wave incredibly difficult for two reasons. First off Bilbo could and really should be in practically every set since the story is (almost) always focused around him. In LotR we go between Frodo and the rest of the Fellowship a lot so it's not as much of an issue. The second problem is we have 13 dwarves plus Gandalf and Biblo for a total of 15 figures in Thorin's company, plus all the supporting characters where as in LotR the Fellowship is only comprised of 9, 1 of which dies 1/3 the way through the story. Not only that, most of the dwarves don't even have any big scenes in the book. I am sure this will change in the movies, but we haven't seen them yet and as such I just kind of randomly had to place a lot of the dwarves in the sets. Overall I think I did a fairly decent job of placing everyone as you really only NEED 3 sets to complete Thorin's company, and at the same time Gandalf and Bilbo are only in three sets and not too many or all of them...

Edited by Deathleech

Those sound like good ideas.

I myself am hoping for 3 variations of Bilbo Baggins this wave:

His regular clothing as seen in Bag End, his 'adventuring gear' with a dark red coat and the same as last only with a slightly damaged coat and spider webs for Mirkwood.

Other than that, I'm hoping for even more quality figures and nice sets like LOTR had.

I hope the rumours are true but the Warg set might be 59.99$ Like weathertop and the spider set either 19.99 or 29.99 but if your rumours are true I will get 5 Warg sets plus the sets come out right before christmas.

I may be in the small minority here, but none of these sets really appeal to me at all :sceptic: Maybe it is because I haven't read the book and I'm not as familiar with the characters as I am with the LOTR ones. I'm hoping there actually is an Eagle as well as some nice brick built spiders, but other than that there's nothing here for me.

I'm still crossing my fingers for more LOTR sets simply because there are a lot of scenes and characters I still want! Nice predictions though!

I may be in the small minority here, but none of these sets really appeal to me at all :sceptic: Maybe it is because I haven't read the book and I'm not as familiar with the characters as I am with the LOTR ones. I'm hoping there actually is an Eagle as well as some nice brick built spiders, but other than that there's nothing here for me.

I sort of agree. Some sets like the Gollum's Cave/Riddles in the Dark one have absolutely no appeal to me. They might have a Bilbo minifigure in different clothing, but other than that I don't see how it could offer anything new. Even then the same Bilbo might be in another set. I am almost positive they will use the same Gollum from the Shelob Attacks set.

As for the other sets, a lot of them seem to be based on more mellow, passive scenes. Escape in the Barrels and An Unexpected Gathering can have cool scenes and builds, but there is no conflict. I know a lot of people LOVE the Bag end/Unexpected Gathering set, but for me my favorite sets from the first wave were ones with crazy monsters and a bunch of good guys vs bad ones (ala Mines of Moria). I am hopeful for the Orc King, Mirkwood Spiders, and Attack of the Warg sets though (probably least excited about the Mirkwood Spiders since we already got Shelob Attacks).

Keep in mind too we have seen all the LotR movies, where as with the Hobbit they only can release sets from the first movie (and maybe part of the second that was originally intended to be in the first). That means no Smaug, no Battle of the Five Armies, little to no Beorn, etc. If we only had sets from the LotR: The Fellowship I am sure it wouldn't seem quite as exciting either as the line does now. Plus I am sure when we get pictures of everything and see how cool they all really look it will help people get a lot more excited.

Keep in mind too we have seen all the LotR movies, where as with the Hobbit they only can release sets from the first movie (and maybe part of the second that was originally intended to be in the first). That means no Smaug, no Battle of the Five Armies, little to no Beorn, etc. If we only had sets from the LotR: The Fellowship I am sure it wouldn't seem quite as exciting either as the line does now. Plus I am sure when we get pictures of everything and see how cool they all really look it will help people get a lot more excited.

Oh ya I will definitely be in for Smaug! I am only saying this first wave doesn't appeal to me or make me think, "Oh I got to have that". I think in future waves there will potentially be more appealing sets to me :classic: Like I said before, I think I am a small minority here.

The only hope I have is that we gwt all the 13 dwarves in this wave.

4 in bag end

4 in Goblin halls? (4 dwarves, 2 goblins 1 giant goblin king = moria)

3 in warg attack (3 dwarves, 2 goblins, 2 wargs = weathertop)

0 in riddles in the dark

Wich leaves 2 dwarves left, assuing Bilbo and gandalf doesent fill any "good guy slots" in those sets

Edited by deskp

I could see 2 dwarves in the Goblin Town set (most of the other spots should be filled by Gandalf, the Goblin King and some Goblins), 3 in the Barrels set, 2 in the Warg and Eagle set, and maybe 2 in Mirkwood. Plus the 4 from Bag End, that makes 13. There can be some variation in there too, like no dwarves in Mirkwood and more in Goblin Town or the Barrels set. But I think they'll be able to fit them all in. :classic:

Those sound about as accurate as you can get Deathleech.

The only hope I have is that we gwt all the 13 dwarves in this wave.

I am assuming that it is a given we will get all 13. However with the rumors of the Barrel Escape and Spiders in Mirkwood sets not being released after all, perhaps it's not a given after all.

(Dang, it took me 5 years to achieve 300 posts? It amazes me that people can rack up 1000 plus posts in a matter of a few months.I just don't have that sort of time on my hands, what with a family and career and life and all...)

I'm wondering at which price we will be able to found the complete company, so 13 dwarves, Gandalf the gray (The Hobbit version?) and Bilbo of course. Because in a way everybody want them all! But for sure I'll buy at the beginning Bag End and maybe the LOTR game to, with all the things promise.

I'm wondering at which price we will be able to found the complete company, so 13 dwarves, Gandalf the gray (The Hobbit version?) and Bilbo of course. Because in a way everybody want them all! But for sure I'll buy at the beginning Bag End and maybe the LOTR game to, with all the things promise.

I plan to buy multiples of every set anyways, so it doesn't really matter to me personally, but I am sure it will be like the first LotR wave where you will have to get all but 1 or 2 of the sets to complete Thorin's company (including Bilbo and Gandalf). You might even need every set if there are only 4 sets total released, especially with there being 15 different characters this time rather than just 9.

Personally I wish they would do away with the cheap set that, imo, doesn't add a ton to the wave. They should instead replace it with a proper battle pack. The Hobbit and especially LotR just scream army building. I mean can you imagine how much better the first wave would do if it included a Gondor and/or Mordor Orc battle pack instead of Gandalf Arrives? And if we were getting a Goblin battle pack instead of Riddles in the Dark? Like I said, we will most likely get the exact same Bilbo in another set and the same Gollum from Shelob attacks so it's not like this set brings much to the table. I know a lot of people have bought dozens of the Uruk-Hai Army set, myself included, where as Gandalf Arrives at most seems to get 1 or 2 sets sold. Sure it may be SLIGHTLY more appealing to kids, but when an AFOL buys 20 battle packs vs a kids 1 it has to be more profitable?

Edited by Deathleech

Escape in the Barrels

I could imagine that this set would be more like the Mines of Moria set, with different smaller scenery parts:

1) Part storage

2) Small room with the guard

3) Prison

4) Piece of river with hatches

But without a doubt, this will be a great set :) Hopefully with the elven king

I sort of agree. Some sets like the Gollum's Cave/Riddles in the Dark one have absolutely no appeal to me. They might have a Bilbo minifigure in different clothing, but other than that I don't see how it could offer anything new. Even then the same Bilbo might be in another set. I am almost positive they will use the same Gollum from the Shelob Attacks set.

I probably won't buy the Gollum's Cave/Riddles... to much simularity to the existing Gollum set.

The rest will be a must have (at least once)

I've got to add, I'd like to see a new facial expression for Gollum.

I really hope they do another one, perhaps more neutral since the current one we have doesn't work for every scene.

I've got to add, I'd like to see a new facial expression for Gollum.

I really hope they do another one, perhaps more neutral since the current one we have doesn't work for every scene.

I completely agree. I could see them doing a slightly different version of Gollum in every set he's in.