Sign in to follow this  
nana

Any opensource software?

Hi,

I am trying to make a Lego designer myself. First I need to write an interface using OpenGL to read Ldraw DAT files, but it will take some time, do you know if there is any opensource software I could refer to? Any clues will be most appreciated!

Alice

Hello Alice,

I am trying to make a Lego designer myself.

Good luck ;)

First I need to write an interface using OpenGL to read Ldraw DAT files, but it will take some time, do you know if there is any opensource software I could refer to? Any clues will be most appreciated!

LDview is a very capable LDraw file viewer (not editor), available with source code.

Otherwise, LeoCAD is an editor that can read and write LDraw file, but it has its own library file format (parts are converted from LDraw library). Also available with source code

Well, building software with OpenGL is quite a challenge, I worked on that in 1999 I think. The LDraw community is indeed as Philo said the place to be for you I think.

Hi Philo,

Thank you so much. I managed to compile an old version of LDraw. Without any comment, it is extremely hard to understand the codes. I'll check out the LeoCAD later.

Alice

Well, building software with OpenGL is quite a challenge, I worked on that in 1999 I think. The LDraw community is indeed as Philo said the place to be for you I think.

Hi JopieK,

Yes, it's a challenge. What I am trying to make is not such a powerful tool as LDview to let others use, but something really simple to help myself to do some research. As a start, it could be enough to support only several basic bricks. Hope I could find something useful in the codes of LDview, otherwise I'll have to rely on my understanding of the LDraw file format.

Thank you!

Alice

Edited by nana