Sign in to follow this  
Carsten Svendsen

Why the ridiculous size limit of 100 kb?

I have almost just registered and I'm member nr. 31347.

Now calculating 31347*100 = 3134700KB = 3GB

Is your server really only a few GB large? Come on man, give us 10 MB each and install a 1 TB server HDD instead. That would make storage for 104857 membes !! I can't even upload 10 files without exceeding 100 KB.

Or is it just because I'm a new member?

Edited by Fugazi
added sub-ttile

Is your server really only a few GB large? Come on man, give us 10 MB each and install a 1 TB server HDD instead. That would make storage for 104857 membes !! I can't even upload 10 files without exceeding 100 KB.

Or is it just because I'm a new member?

I don't really appreciate the tone of your post, especially considering you apparently didn't even bother reading through the FAQ (more specifically this bit). It's not just about storage, but also about the costly bandwidth.

I don't really appreciate the tone of your post, especially considering you apparently didn't even bother reading through the FAQ (more specifically this bit). It's not just about storage, but also about the costly bandwidth.

Granted, I might have sounded a bit off there but I was just so annoyed with it. I did read the FAQ beforehand though.....

I still think a 100 KB is way too small an amount to upload. In the end, you would have to upload your files to torrent site or something in order to share your small file size models or drawings or whatever it could be.

Costly bandwith? What... you think we live in the 90's with only a 128K connection?

I still think a 100 KB is way too small an amount to upload. In the end, you would have to upload your files to torrent site or something in order to share your small file size models or drawings or whatever it could be.

Did you even click on the link I gave you? Or did you miss the bit where it says (in bold) that Eurobricks is not an image hosting site?

Costly bandwith? What... you think we live in the 90's with only a 128K connection?

We're not talking about your bandwidth here, but the server bandwidth. Remember that this site is run by volunteers only.

Did you even click on the link I gave you? Or did you miss the bit where it says (in bold) that Eurobricks is not an image hosting site?

No I did in fact see that bit of text in the FAQ. I'm not asking to be able to host pictures or anything. Look, as of now I have uploaded 2x SR 3D model files approx. 10 KB each. So that means I can only upload 10 model files on this website for as long as I live! You think I'm not going to build more than 10 MOC's for the next 80 years of my life?

I can see your problem on the bandwith though, but it has got to be a really weak server to be needed to limit the file size that much. It doesn't say anywhere in your FAQ which website is good for file hosting. I know I could do some research my self (and probably wouldn't take more than 5 min), but you could give some suggestions...

From my PoV you sound a little angry, I didn't want to anger you (or the mods) but a 100KB is still rather limited...

No I did in fact see that bit of text in the FAQ. I'm not asking to be able to host pictures or anything. Look, as of now I have uploaded 2x SR 3D model files approx. 10 KB each. So that means I can only upload 10 model files on this website for as long as I live! You think I'm not going to build more than 10 MOC's for the next 80 years of my life?

Pictures or other file types, it all consumes bandwidth. You're going to get a little more upload space as you progress through the ranks. But the point remains that EB should not be used to host files.

I can see your problem on the bandwith though, but it has got to be a really weak server to be needed to limit the file size that much. It doesn't say anywhere in your FAQ which website is good for file hosting. I know I could do some research my self (and probably wouldn't take more than 5 min), but you could give some suggestions...

From my PoV you sound a little angry, I didn't want to anger you (or the mods) but a 100KB is still rather limited...

It's not about the 'strength' of the server, but the cost of the bandwidth for a server hosting a forum run by volunteers. Suggestions for image-hosting sites are given in the FAQ. I don't have any suggestions for uploading non-picture files.

Hey? WHat happens when you reach 100KB? I had no idea that was lifetime maximum? How do I get rid of some of the old uploads?

Carsten Svendsen you can use a free file hoster to share your files and then link them into your post.:sweet:

I use this one http://www.zippyshare.com.

Nice, just what I needed :thumbup:

I really don't understand what the fuss is about, just use a picture hosting site.

It's not about pictures, it's about files - small files where as it could be a txt document or an LDD file. Those doesn't consume much disc space but when we got a limit of 100KB they consume very much.

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

It's not about pictures, it's about files - small files where as it could be a txt document or an LDD file. Those doesn't consume much disc space but when we got a limit of 100KB they consume very much.

As it's been stated before we are a forum, not a hosting site of any kind. Also your account is free, so the fact that you get anything is pretty nice.

I've already tried to upload .txt and .ldd files on Brickshelf in the past, and none gave me problems or was deleted or refused.

I've already tried to upload .txt and .ldd files on Brickshelf in the past, and none gave me problems or was deleted or refused.

Brickshelf, DropBox and Skydrive are often used by members as a way of sharing digital Lego creations, as well as images. And since all of them are set up specifically for file sharing, they all provide a better interface for doing so than Eurobricks could. They also (presumably) have a set-up which allows for sharing without incurring excessive bandwidth costs.

Edited by AndyC

The main reason for this limit is to keep our total size on disk as small as possible. That keeps us very mobile (in case I need to move the site to a new server, new provider, etc.). And there's a weekly backup of this entire site (incl. all the pics on our server) going all the way to my home PC. If our size on disk would be 1TB that would be harder to manage. For storing pics you best use Flickr, Brickshelf, etc. and 'deeplink' them from the forum.

The main reason for this limit is to keep our total size on disk as small as possible. That keeps us very mobile (in case I need to move the site to a new server, new provider, etc.). And there's a weekly backup of this entire site (incl. all the pics on our server) going all the way to my home PC. If our size on disk would be 1TB that would be harder to manage. For storing pics you best use Flickr, Brickshelf, etc. and 'deeplink' them from the forum.

Hey? WHat happens when you reach 100KB? I had no idea that was lifetime maximum? How do I get rid of some of the old uploads? I appear to have used up my space, so how do I fix this?

I never had a problem uploading .L3B, .ldr, or .pov files, etc, etc, on brickshelf.