Sign in to follow this  
Brickdoctor

Albion Bowyer

7958189460_3b009c95ae_c.jpg

It's been nearly a year since I first signed up for the Albion builds (though I initially signed up to build the Fletcher), and I've finally finished something. :blush: Now that I've finished my trilogy of Heroica quests, I've got the bricks available to build some Historica buildings. (this wall technique uses up a lot of tiles quickly, and I use the same technique for Heroica sets)

7958190266_ec952dcdce_c.jpg

The building should extend a little more backwards; I wanted to do a cutaway and show the interior, but I also didn't want to crowd the space, so I left out a couple things like a second bed and a fireplace so that I could concentrate on the furnishings related to this building's purpose as a bowyer's house and shop.

~~~~~

7958190952_772ff680ca_c.jpg

Built on the corner of the road leading to the second gatehouse of Albion's inner sanctum, the Albion Bowyer is the capital city's only source of bows crafted by the Forestmen native to the Mystic Isles.

7958191862_b24696df16_c.jpg

On the stone-deprived Isle of Bricdocton, a building with stonework like this would be a luxury for the nobility. In Avalonia's capital, its cost was only a small portion of the profits of these two Forestman bowyers, whose high-quality bows are greatly in demand for both military and sport and hunting purposes.

7958192760_cd7e967561_c.jpg

The Forestmen can often be seen outside, testing their bows and demonstrating them to pedestrians and potential buyers.

7958193484_634a41408a_c.jpg

These bows are crafted with traditional Forestman techniques, producing weapons rivaling those of the elves.

7958194228_5a5167371b_c.jpg

The bows are made with hand-selected wood imported from the Mystic Isles.

7958195022_113b47d51e_c.jpg

They're typically made only after they have been ordered by a customer, every bow being unique, but a few bows are kept for potential buyers to test and to sell those who demand instant gratification.

7958195748_f988d62869_c.jpg

7958196352_056eaa1399_c.jpg

~~~~~

Finished September of 2012; C&C welcome. Thanks for looking. :classic:

That's awesome, as you know; I love your sets. That interior looks great.:classic: Though what tile technique is that?

Edited by Capt.JohnPaul

Though what tile technique is that?

Using the SNOTed tiles for the walls; the grooves between tiles is greater than those between stacked bricks, so the stonework looks better.

Using the SNOTed tiles for the walls; the grooves between tiles is greater than those between stacked bricks, so the stonework looks better.

I see. Though did you put tiles on a plate and stack them upright, or use bricks with stud or headlights?

I see. Though did you put tiles on a plate and stack them upright, or use bricks with stud or headlights?

Depends on how they need to be attached and how much space I have.

Very nice addition to albion! i love your interior.

keep it up!

~Legonardo

Welcome back Doc. I loved this style base from your first build so much I stole it!!

Nice build. This fits in Albion perfectly.

Very nice addition to albion! i love your interior.

Thanks, Legonardo. This is one instance in which I'm glad I took the time off to work on Heroica instead. I used to avoid interiors whenever I built buildings, preferring to build the whole building without the cutaway such that the interior couldn't be seen. With the indoor scenes in Heroica, I started building more interiors. (as sets which didn't have exteriors, of course, but the practice was good)

Welcome back Doc. I loved this style base from your first build so much I stole it!!

Thanks, Z. :classic:

This is a beauty! I really like the idea of the bowyer and how well it is build. Finally a good use for the bow on the sign, and the piece of hose and rope makes it a lively scene! :thumbup:

This is a beauty! I really like the idea of the bowyer and how well it is build. Finally a good use for the bow on the sign, and the piece of hose and rope makes it a lively scene! :thumbup:

Thanks, Ecclesiastes. :classic: Pneumatic tubing is one of my favorite elements (better than its cousin, flex tubing, in my opinion, for its ability to be stretched and bent without requiring effort to return it to its original form, provided it wasn't left in a position for too long). It's such a versatile piece, and you can stuff so many different pieces into its ends.

I'm glad someone noticed that small bow used for the sign; I was originally going to include it in the box of bows, but, being Heroica-scaled, it looked out-of-place, and it looked like it was made of metal... and then I realized it would be perfect for the sign.

Great to see a build from you :thumbup: Your stone technique is excellent and your interior is very well done.

Also I really like your sign :classic:

Great stuff! glad you build some stuff for Avalonia now and you have some great builds.

Looking forward to your next one

Nice to see you building for GOH again Doc! I love this build, lots of great details on display. The tiled walls look great, as does the interior and base. A great addition to Albion, really love your style!

I love the condensed yet detailed feel of this build. Its one of those builds you seem to find something new every time you look at it!

Nice to see you building for GOH again Doc! I love this build, lots of great details on display. The tiled walls look great, as does the interior and base. A great addition to Albion, really love your style!

Thanks, DC. It's good to be back building for Historica. :classic:

I love the condensed yet detailed feel of this build. Its one of those builds you seem to find something new every time you look at it!

Thanks. Whenever I build medieval, I try to capture that cramped feel without doing it in a negative, crowded way.

That's gourgous, I love the sword on the side and the interior looks very detailed and realistic. :thumbup:

Pardon me if I'm asking a very obvious question, but what's the difference between a fletcher and a bowyer? I looked up the definitions, and they seem pretty much the same.

Pardon me if I'm asking a very obvious question, but what's the difference between a fletcher and a bowyer? I looked up the definitions, and they seem pretty much the same.

A fletcher makes arrows (technically and more specifically, a fletcher attaches the stabilizing fins or vanes of an arrow), while a bowyer makes bows.