CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

Is their a backstory? (I didn't read all the posts :blush: ) Why are there more than one human factions? They look cool though, you can collect more minifigs - maybe that was TLG's intention? :wink:

The purple egg-like things are cocoons I think, with which:

They turn humans into space bugs!

OR The lay eggs in it, and the trapped human is the breakfast for the younglings!

The first is closer to the lego policy I guess...

I'm liking the blue and white fighter jet. From the pic, it looks like the wings rotate down, maybe to stand on? Just guessing.

The large orange and white ship is intriguing. I like vehicle within vehicle designs when they're done well, and I also like the Vic Viperesque aesthetic of the ship (it needs a center tail to meet VV criteria, but I digress) once it has disgorged the missile buggy and assumed flight configuration. I think it'd look better had they made the cockpit a bit pointier, but it's a neat design otherwise.

The large white and green vehicle/mech set interests me as well. The overall shaping of the thing is unique, and I like the white with green accents. I like the mech except for the gun arms. Regular arms equipped with hands to hold guns, and other objects, are preferable and offer more playability. Ah well, it is LEGO after all, and subject to modding. The little scorpionoid looks a bit underwhelming, and greatly outmatched. Looking at the front of the big vehicle, I wonder if there's some kind of hidden feature or weapon there to blast or snatch up an unsuspecting bugbot. Hmmmm.

I'm heaving a weary sigh over the obtrusive, and sometimes random weapon placement that seems in evidence ever more in action/sci-fi themes.

I know the conflict/combat in a box is the norm, and I'm not against guns or combat related toys; however, I often find the placement and/or mounting of weapons to look incongruent, out of place, or like afterthoughts in a lot of the action/sci-fi sets over the past four or five years. Hidden, folding, or conformal weapons are great when they blend with the vehicle, but just putting some big gun or flick missile on a ball joint or some other large and unsightly mount kinda ruins alot of otherwise good models, for me anyway. Too, I do wish LEGO would relax the combat in a box philosophy, as I think we'd benefit from, hopefully, better quality in a single vehicle in a set geared towards exploration or some other non-combat related setting, i.e. space salvage, or rescue, or cargo delivery, to name a few. Actually, for all sets, combat or no, I wish TLG would return to the old practice of a single model in the box, as more features or details can be put added to a model and still fall within price point. Moreover, they can double the number of sets, as well as produce a larger number of smaller, more affordable sets, within a theme. Getting a bit off topic, so back to the sets.

It's cool to see a variety of android helpers in these sets. The orange one with the wings is pretty sweet. The blue head does look a bit like a monkey, as someone mentioned. :laugh: It's ok...I'd rather they include different designs throughout the line instead of picking one that may or may not be to everyone's liking. Choices are good. I'm a bit surprised they didn't use the MF series robot in here somewhere, but again, new and different is generally a good thing.

The mantis looks so-so, but the human vehicle has my attention. It looks like a smaller vehicle, made with the blue Cars hood pieces, sitting sideways on the back of the white vehicle. It'd be nice if that was detachable. Ya know, I have to say that the mantis and the mosquito disappoint a little, using the technic axles and connectors for legs, when the designers have proven with many sets across a number of themes that they can produce excellent creatures with jointed, poseable legs using clicky joints. I realize they're battle machines that resemble their namesakes, and that they are intentional caricatures ; however, I'd have been thrilled if the insect machines looked more realistic but with pilots safely ensconced within their armored carapaces, and with hidden features or weapons that pop out. I am, sadly, oft the victim of my own expectations where LEGO is concerned.

Like everyone else, I await better pics and reviews of these sets, and speculate in the meantime. Cheers!

Edited by M'Kyuun

Hmm, I not sure what to make of these. I was quite excited about these sets, but now I'm really not sure what to think.

The sets themselves seem ok. The 70701 set is a decent starfighter, although I'm not sure about the folding wings, I'll need to see them in more detail. The '02 Warp Stinger looks nice too, although I hope that mini vehicle can take both Squad members. The Mantis is disappointing. Looks far too thin and not nearly menacing enough. The '04 Vermin vaporiser is probably the best set in the range. I love the 'Mech and the beefy vehicle, The alien vehicle could have been more impressive though. The orange set is some what disappointing too, especially as this was the set that most interested me from the description. The star fighter part is ok but seems to have far too many weapons, you'd think Lego would learn from the MX81 that too many weapons just looks silly. The vehicle part needs to be more impressive as it just looks like a cockpit with some wheels and a missile launcher tacked on. The alien vehicle is the best part of this set by far.

I like the choice of different colours for the galaxy squad members and the fact that they all have different face prints (although that does limit their army building potential). However I think more could have been made of this by using different torso prints and by including more human characters instead of the robots, which to be frank look a bit lame with those heads and weird wing/armour pieces. The aliens are also rather poor and I can't see them being too popular, there also seems to be rather few of them.

The range as a whole, in common with many Lego ranges these days, also seems to lack any kind of faction balance. The 'good' guys get the two largest sets that seem to completely outgun the poor aliens. I'm also disappointed with the lack of a base for the aliens to take their prisoners to and for the alien leader (possibly a Queen?) to live in.

Edit: I've just realised they've re-used the Solomon Baze (the blue chap) in the Mantis set. To echo the rest of my post...how disappointing.

Edited by yogurt

Man, I can't stop going over these pics, this is the most interested I've been in an official space line in a long time. It's even made me get out of lurker mode and start posting!

I just realized how good these guys will look with black airtanks, which will balance out the colours a bit and give it much more of a military feel. It's almost like they were going for different squads of Clone Troopers, regarding the armored look of the torsos which are all identical.

I'm really digging 70701, in addition to a great small spaceship, I'm digging the use of the sledgehammer as controls for the insect flyer.

70702 - The red team has a pretty nifty space flyer (what do we call these types of ships? They're pretty standard TLG fare from the earliest days on). Anyone else think the red robot's blades are based on those clear blue Halo swords? I'm getting a bit of a Halo vibe from the robots as well.

70703 - pretty blah

70704 - pretty fun. I'm really liking those new (?) space tires which should be fun to build with. They're a nice callback to old classic space tires. It does look pretty simple for what is going to be a $60-70 set though.

70705 - Loving the orange team robot. Liking the new robot wings. The ship leaves a lot to be desired, and must have been designed by the same designer as the big ship from Mars Mission. This has a very similar wing structure and lots of laser cannons all over the place.

All in all, a pretty fun line, but it's gonna be a pain getting extras of those helmets for creating MOC space factions. They're gonna be expensive on Bricklink for quite some time.

Did a short breakdown on what we know so far...

Six sets, 17 minifigs, 6 humans, 5 robots, 6 insects

Blue sets: 3,

Humans: 2. Robots: 2.

Red sets: 1,

Humans: 1. Robots: 1.

Green sets: 1,

Humans: 1. Robots: 1.

Orange sets: 1,

Humans: 2. Robots: 1.

Insects: 6. 3 Mosquitoes, 3 Ant/Beetles (2 green, 1 red)

Edited by ETAV8R

The Good guys stuff looks great, The bugs are kind of disappointing,to bad the bugs aren't more like the "Wreck-it Ralph" bugs ,those ones were cool.

I wasn't aware of the "cybugs" until your post. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I want to see "Wreck-it Ralph" even more now.

Blue sets: 3,

Humans: 2. Robots: 1.

Robots: 2, actually! 2nd robot is in 70700. Unless you're not counting repeats, in which case Blue humans drops down to 1. Same guy in 70701 and 70703.

I like 'em, overall... the robots are kinda interesting, I like that the armor has clips for wings, I like the colors of the squad members and the face prints (Blue's head will be nice for Galaxy Patrol variety, as his eye-covering viewer is on the other eye). and dig most of the vehicles. The aliens get the short end of the stick on big ships, with their largest vehicles being rather flimsy-looking, but I think they make up for it a bit by having some fun small bug-vehicles in the two biggest sets and the Space Swarmer. Kinda disappointed that the Blues are repeated in '00 and '01, as I like the other colors' robots more... but, good custom fodder, and I can't pass up the ships in those sets.

Thanks for all the pics!!

Robots: 2, actually! 2nd robot is in 70700. Unless you're not counting repeats, in which case Blue humans drops down to 1. Same guy in 70701 and 70703.

Fixed it. Yes counting dupes. Thanks.

Here it is, the holy grail. I went back and purchase set 70700 and low and behold inside the instructions was the pictures of all the sets. I've also uploaded tonnes of pictures of the complete set and Minifigures of 70700 and More pictures of the Box art for 70705 so check out my Flickr.

70700_0003 by Cupishalfempty, on Flickr

Thank you so much for all the pictures! :sweet:

I already know which sets I'm getting: 70701 (Twitch's cousin!!!!!!!!!!!!) and 70700 (cheap set). I might get 70702, but it depends on the price (I want to make a Twitch family, and red helmets are just awesome). :grin:

Personally, I think I might army-build the Space Swarmer. I´ll probably get every other set, but apart from that one, I´ll use them all for MOCcified versions.

The strange blades/guns that the red robot has look interesting and seem to use the old GitD color.

Cupishalfempty, thankyou for your services to planet Earth!

:classic:

Excellent work, CupIsHalfEmpty! You really delivered the goods. I'm really liking what I see thus far: As I said before it REALLY looks like the Blue Squad could work with the ADU minifigs/sets... Also, someone pointed out on Flickr that the Blue Squad robot's head could be used to make some Daft Punk minifigs, which would be freaking sweet!

The only set I'm interested in is 70701.....cool fighter design.

Yeah, that would have to be my favorite set out of the series, too.

I wasn't aware of the "cybugs" until your post. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I want to see "Wreck-it Ralph" even more now.

You should, its totally worth it!

....My only disappointment from what has been revealed so far is that it seems that, as is the norm for LEGO, the only female member of the Galaxy Squad is in the largest and most expensive set. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Hikaro Takayama

Seeing how many of the small insects are relatively bad, I'm glad I got some small helicopter blade in trans lime at LEGOWorld.

I'm less impressed than I hoped to be, overall. I was expecting more colour blocking on both the human vehicles and the minifigs from cwetqo's description, the vehicles are basically white with stickers for colour accents though. The insects are lovely. I think my favourite set so far is the warp stinger, the mantis looks like it skimped on parts too much. I don't really appreciate the robots at the moment, especially given the CMF robots, but they may grow on me, the red robot is quite cool. The robots remind me too much of the bionicle minifigs or the KK minifigs that were free in boxes of cereal, I would have preferred a brick-built classic robot for sure. I am disappointed with the grey human torsos. I wonder if Lego is deliberately leaving room here for the space marine theme to come through?

Anyone else think the eagle (?) on the blue robot torso is a Starship Troopers reference?

On the positive side, all the sets look to have good play value. The Interceptor fits nicely into SP3 and the Obliterator fits into Mars Mission pretty well. The purple eggs will be quite useful, and the new control panel tile is sweet. And any new space theme is a good thing!

:classic:

Edited by robuko

The human vehicles are awesome! I'm especially impressed with the 70701. We havn't had a decent stand-alone starfighter since space police! (The Vic-viper didn't count. it was in a rather large, expensive set.) The aliens, as someone metioned above, are badly ountgunned, but the sets seem like they were made for army building. my thoughts on the red robot: LEGO definitly spoofed here, that has got to be the ugliest figure in the theme. The human set are rather good, but is that mobile lab the green set? The robot is good, the truck, not so much.

Overall, the human sets are well built, but the alien sets look almost like they were made to be huge machines and then they tacked the aliens on as pilots.

Ugh, so all of the human vehicles are going to split in half? :sceptic: Sounds like LEGO's sacificing aesthetics for play features again. Oh well, I'll reserve judgement until we see more.

What's wrong with play-feature-driven sets? If you look back, many of the traditional space factions had play features that characterized them. Blacktron had all its major vehicles separate into modules that could be swapped around with one another. Blacktron II and Unitron had removable cockpits that could be swapped around between the vehicles. Every incarnation of Space Police has had detachable prison pods. I don't see why this feature would be any worse than any of those.

I don't see how any of the human vehicles (or the alien ones, for that matter) are lacking in aesthetics. And if you don't like how they look splitted, you can always mod them so they're just one vehicle

Edited by DraikNova

Was I the only one who thought of Halo when I saw the pictures?

The multiple factions, the different armour classes, etc.

Anyway, really loving this theme, and I hope it lasts for more than one wave (it's possible, since SP3 had three waves).

I hope this will last long enough for us to get some larger and bulkier alien vehicles. The insects just feel so outclassed...

Oh, man I love that Vermin Vaporizer! :wub: The mech on the back of the buggy just makes the set. I love the robots as well and the fact that Lego has given the humans a very Haloish vibe to them. They just need a large troop transport ship like a Pelican in a future line and I will be a happy man.