Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I was kind of thinking along the same lines that it maybe the drivers wearing them but on 60004 the FF tackling the fire has it on. But then again its just a photo and a kids toy! lol

I wonder what 2 of these railing will look like together and I wish TLG had made a longer ladder piece.

Scott

I did notice that too. I'm guessing the guy setting the scene for the picture just picked the firefighters without paying much attention and stuck one with the hose.

Another (sub)theme I really liked as a kid, was the post/mail stuff. Where is that now?

I agree with you guys. I am slightly youger than many of you (I'm 25) but I see where you're comming from. While they did have a lot more diverse sets, the quality of the vehicles for sure, has gone way up. Altough, I wish they would do more U.S. style vehicles. As for sets like the post/mail, I think it has to do with what kids want. I don't think kids these days care much about post/mail or stores or resturants or any of the other normal things in towns like that.

Truthfully, it does not bother me that much, with LDD and Pick-A-Brick, I prefer to just build my own MOCs based on what I see around me more. I have mostly been building trains, and base them on a particular small railroad where I live ith the Midwest, so it is not as big of a deal to me what sets they make. But I am always interested to see the new sets, and do by sets that I like. I bought 4 of the last garbage truck, the best cab design I've seen.

Sal

WFB, WI

" there was a healthy CIty development well into the late 90's, I dig a lot of that (bought plenty, through BL, too). "

Right, healthy.....so this from 1998 is better than what we are going to see next year ?

6329-1.jpg

The late 90's saw Lego over simplify their designs to point of boredom, at least next years sets have realistic styling, playability and parts for modifying or MOC'ing.

I guess it can not be said too much how we all might be getting tired of seeing fire and police sets all the time, but it is MARKETING.....it's what a bunch of people think-tanking toy ideas and going with what they think will make the most MONEY. Note - Chima will have a similar operating rip-cord toy to the Haspro Bay-Wheels.....toy companies all go with the flow and re-hash after re-hash to make even more money.

That's enough off-topic from me.....back to modifying one of my MOC's. :classic:

Right, healthy.....so this from 1998 is better than what we are going to see next year ?

The late 90's saw Lego over simplify their designs to point of boredom, at least next years sets have realistic styling, playability and parts for modifying or MOC'ing.

I guess it can not be said too much how we all might be getting tired of seeing fire and police sets all the time, but it is MARKETING.....it's what a bunch of people think-tanking toy ideas and going with what they think will make the most MONEY. Note - Chima will have a similar operating rip-cord toy to the Haspro Bay-Wheels.....toy companies all go with the flow and re-hash after re-hash to make even more money.

That's enough off-topic from me.....back to modifying one of my MOC's. :classic:

I agree the late 90s were probably the weakest point in design for LEGO Town, and for that matter, a lot of themes. It's funny, looking back, how themes loved for their unique design aesthetics and color schemes were also subject to lots of large, overspecialized parts. Examples that jump to mind are Rock Raiders, Insectoids, and for that matter even many sets from Adventurers.

I think what 1974 was talking about, though, was the diversity of content of sets, which was also apparent both within the City theme (there were lots of different buildings, even if they all had the same bizarre architecture, and lots of different vehicles, even if they all had the same hideous hood/headlight/grille slopes) and outside it (while the themes I mentioned above had some lackluster sets, people generally agree that the concepts they represented were fresh, imaginative, and generally unprecedented).

The early 2000s perhaps saw some continuation of this trend (Alpha Team, Knights' Kingdom II, and other themes were creative, but certainly used more than their fair share of large shaping elements), but in general most themes gradually worked their way back towards greater complexity throughout that period while keeping their creativity. I think part of the reason the early 2000s aren't appreciated by today's Town/City buffs is that even with steadily-increasing complexity, it took until the end of World City and the beginning of LEGO City for realism to begin returning (I'll always remember City Center as the theme that had a "police ATV" that was unmistakeably some type of sci-fi tank and a cop who was unmistakeably the Terminator). And in fact, the 2005-2007 period started to see a return to glory in many themes-- to this day I think it was a mistake that I stopped collecting the Knights' Kingdom II model sets right in 2005 when they actually started to show some attractive designs.

Today I agree that there's a lot of diversity in vehicles, but less diversity in buildings. And I hope that changes in time, though sets like 2011's bank, this year's clinic, and next year's museum move things in a great direction, even if many of them have an action-packed "emergency response" theme tying them together.

Edited by Aanchir

I must agree with Aanchir. I collected Lego sets until the 90's. Although there were plenty of police and firebrigade sets, there were also houses and other sets. A pizza shop springs into mind, that was realy imaginative and fun to build. The Paradisia sets were fun too and could be made into a beach area. I realy loved the harbor sets of those days, not ships with complete hulls, but hulls you realy have to build together. Great sets, all of them (they also had al waterpolice station and a rescue squad).

After this period came the large building parts periode and i begun loosing my interest in Lego. Building no took only minutes and not hours. The fronts of the cars were one peace with headlights printed on al slope. Maybe imaginative to some (you can't argue taste) but for me, BORING. So my Lego went into boxes and stored away.

So i missed the intoduction of the exculsive sets. They can't be bought in regular toyshops here in Holland and we don't have Lego retailshops. You have to go to Germany, England of France for those. By accidend i stumbled upon the Green Grocer and was hooked from the first moment. I begun looking for city sets en found that there was a change for the better. Building was fun again. The cars were completly different and had a good feeling about them. As i look to the new city sets for 2013, i find the trucks very imaginitive, especialy the towtruck.

I have, from a few years back, a garbidge disposel truck and would love to see an building for those kind of trucks. Would make an interesting change from the police and firedepartment buildings.

After this period came the large building parts periode and i begun loosing my interest in Lego. Building no took only minutes and not hours. The fronts of the cars were one peace with headlights printed on al slope. Maybe imaginative to some (you can't argue taste) but for me, BORING. So my Lego went into boxes and stored away.

So i missed the intoduction of the exculsive sets. They can't be bought in regular toyshops here in Holland and we don't have Lego retailshops. You have to go to Germany, England of France for those. By accidend i stumbled upon the Green Grocer and was hooked from the first moment. I begun looking for city sets en found that there was a change for the better. Building was fun again. The cars were completly different and had a good feeling about them. As i look to the new city sets for 2013, i find the trucks very imaginitive, especialy the towtruck.

So true. It's exactly my story.

But I have to say that the early 90's (my time) and even more the 80's had a lot more set variability in the Town Theme than today. I often wish that back. Maybe LEGO hears this wishes some day. (The cool sets they release today are often of limited availability)

Gee, there's a little bit of dislike for the fire sets eh ?

But what's not to love about them.....new fire fighter torso's, new parts to make realistic ladder trucks, realistic fire station of course minus the fire pole where it is....too much Red Bull they have been drinking I think ! :rofl:

In my opinion, the Fire sets are booooriiiing :laugh:. Over the years, I've ignored all fire sets because they are: fire truck, fire station, aircraft (maybe) and a miscellaneous set (burning house, burning tree...). They could make a set that there is a car crash and firemen have to break into the car, or something... Yes, the ladder trucks and the new torsos are nice, but it's the only new thing in some years.

Edited by LegofreakKO345

I think it's not so much that the fire sets are bad its just an over saturation of them, along with police. But hey they know what little boys want. My son for instance wants all of them solely because it's fire. I personally like the new station house. As to the torsos and minifigs in general i want a black torso with a bunker gear pattern and black helmets, and white helmets for chief (it's what we wear on my department). Still don't like the motorcycle though.

Reason for edit: looking back at the post saw wayyy too many errors, barely made sense.

Edited by tomdobs55

While I don't think it's completely fair to say that LEGO City is all about police and firefighters, I do think it's a shame that LEGO doesn't try to diversify the theme more and keep it more consistently diverse. Even if the police and firefighter sets are what sell best, a genuine attempt to broaden the theme would surely broaden the interest in the theme (maybe get some more girls interested instead of relegating them to Friends), and broaden the interests of the children who play with City sets.

Just saw these close ups of Chase McCain on Brickipedia. Don't know where they originate, but I thought I'd share them. Looks pretty good, especially with that arm printing! These pics seem to have been taken at some kind of modular buildings display. He's standing on the roof of Town Hall in the first pic, and in front of the Grand Emporium in the second.

Chase_McCain_Minifigure.jpgChase_back.jpg

Yet according to the set pictures that torso doesn't appear in the sets. Similar yes, but not that one.

This pics are from new Episode of Lego club show :)

Ah, thanks. :classic:

Yet according to the set pictures that torso doesn't appear in the sets. Similar yes, but not that one.

Hm, you're right. I guess this is the exclusive fig that comes with the game preorders? Seems a bit pointless to make an exclusive fig that merely has some slightly different printing and a different color of pants. :sceptic:

It's a bit of a bummer that you get new police uniforms in the sets and then the guy who is obviously the team leader is a rarity. Having said that he wouldn't be much of a team leader without a radio. How would he communicate with his team? There'd be chaos.

As for sets like the post/mail, I think it has to do with what kids want. I don't think kids these days care much about post/mail or stores or resturants or any of the other normal things in towns like that.

I'm just not sure I agree with that comment. Are kids these days really that different from when we were kids?

I think Town/City has a very different appeal than stuff like Ninjago or even Castle or Space. Kids (and adults like me!) who are into Town are into it because they want to model what they see around them in real life, Yes, even post offices! It's more akin to a model train hobby.

That's fundamentally different than the kids who are into the more action and conflict-driven themes. TLC is ignoring this fact, and is letting the "Play Theme" concept (vehicle-driven sets with built-in conflict) bleed over into Town. I think that's a mistake. Town is unique amongst all of TLC's themes, and should be designed and marketed to meet those unique needs. There are plenty of other action-based themes for those kids who are into that sort of thing. For the other types of kids (and adults) whose interests lie in modeling real life, it's discouraging to see TLC focus all its energies on action and conflict.

Just saw these close ups of Chase McCain on Brickipedia. Don't know where they originate, but I thought I'd share them. Looks pretty good, especially with that arm printing! These pics seem to have been taken at some kind of modular buildings display. He's standing on the roof of Town Hall in the first pic, and in front of the Grand Emporium in the second.

Man, that fig looks awesome! Love the torso, very SWAT, FBI or US Marshals ish (I watch a lot of police shows :rofl: ). Any one knows in what set he is going to appear?

I'm just not sure I agree with that comment. Are kids these days really that different from when we were kids?

I think Town/City has a very different appeal than stuff like Ninjago or even Castle or Space. Kids (and adults like me!) who are into Town are into it because they want to model what they see around them in real life, Yes, even post offices! It's more akin to a model train hobby.

That's fundamentally different than the kids who are into the more action and conflict-driven themes. TLC is ignoring this fact, and is letting the "Play Theme" concept (vehicle-driven sets with built-in conflict) bleed over into Town. I think that's a mistake. Town is unique amongst all of TLC's themes, and should be designed and marketed to meet those unique needs. There are plenty of other action-based themes for those kids who are into that sort of thing. For the other types of kids (and adults) whose interests lie in modeling real life, it's discouraging to see TLC focus all its energies on action and conflict.

It should be noted, though, that at least in the United States, post offices have been suffering. A lot of people blame e-mail and other improvements in communication technology for the decreasing relevance of post offices. Nowadays, even if post offices still exist, there are probably a lot of kids who wouldn't know one if they saw one.

Kids don't change that much from generation to generation, but the context in which those kids grow up is changing more rapidly every decade. And LEGO City reflects that, whether in small ways like the re-branding of Octan as "Octan Energy" or in large ways like the current scarcity of post offices.

As for "conflict in every box" play, that development has sprouted up in every theme for very good reason. A kid isn't likely to buy a second LEGO set if they don't get any real play value from their first on its own. Thus, TLG tries to make sure most sets have a strong, self-evident play scenario, which necessarily involves conflict, whether it's a "man vs. man" conflict like in most play themes or the Police subtheme or a subtler conflict like the firemen trying to put out fires, the medical helicopters and ambulances trying to get injured people to the hospital/clinic, or miners trying to find gold like in the mining subtheme. By doing this they have a greater chance of turning "buyers" into "collectors".

You can think of action/conflict being a bad thing, or you can think of it as a necessary component for an engaging story. And while perhaps a return to less overtly dangerous conflicts (like civilians trying to get a letter mailed before the post office closes, or businessmen trying to improve their bottom line, or civilian families trying to make ends meet) might be in some people's interests, it's harder to make that kind of thing stand out on a shelf than action-based conflict which evokes a clear sense of what's happening.

Edited by Aanchir

Any one knows in what set he is going to appear?

Well, as I've already said, that particular version is the one that comes in the exclusive polybag that you get with preorders of the game (except it seems to come with dark orange hair for some reason :wacko: ). The other version with the dark blue pants, as you can see in the first post, comes in 60007 High Speed Chase.

Well, as I've already said, that particular version is the one that comes in the exclusive polybag that you get with preorders of the game (except it seems to come with dark orange hair for some reason :wacko: ). The other version with the dark blue pants, as you can see in the first post, comes in 60007 High Speed Chase.

Crud, I really hope that is just an error. The whole point of the Chase McCain figure is the hair. :grin:

The sets for next year involve lots of action, something to keep a child's mind interested for more than 10 minutes.....kids lose interest in something's in about 10 minutes unless there is action, action, action ! (hence little kids TV shows go for no more than 10 minutes, but say Ninjago run twice that.....why, well it's packed with action and a bit of humour too !)

Lego might think a post office might be boring to a kid so they won't do it.....sadly perhaps lack of vision.....a robber could rob the post office that just received a gold bar in the mail ! :wink:

Could City designers be running out of ideas so they must rehash old ones, pity they didn't invest the same amount of money as they invested into Friend's as into improving City.....though I'm still happy in what we are getting next year.....then again I guess I could also always MOC build a post office and grocery store right ? :wink:

Could City designers be running out of ideas so they must rehash old ones, pity they didn't invest the same amount of money as they invested into Friend's as into improving City.....though I'm still happy in what we are getting next year.....then again I guess I could also always MOC build a post office and grocery store right ? :wink:

I am very excited about the new sets, they look GREAT to me!

And I don't have a problem with reissueing previously produced sets...as long as they have been updated for look and building techniques. I actually feel that a gas/service station set should be offered every year, and when I was younger I remember a motorcycle sales/service set...I would love to see that brought back with the new vintage motorcycle (Indiana Jones set) in new colors!!

´Thank you, I saw that set's pic but didn't look closely. I've got to say, with dark orange hair, he looks weird. Don't know why, it is... weird! 60007 is a set I'm going to buy, and seeing that fig made me want the set more!

Crud, I really hope that is just an error. The whole point of the Chase McCain figure is the hair. :grin:

I don't think the hair is new. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be just regular tan, in which case it's the same as the hair of the Collectible Minifigures Race Car Driver.

Still, such a glaring inaccuracy in the exclusive minifigure makes the preorder slightly less enticing, even if I can use it to make a fully-accurate version. If I had to speculate why the hair is wrong, I'd guess that some issue may have arisen like with the non-chromed PotC gold pieces, where Lego was unable to produce the necessary parts in time, so they used what they could.

If the preorder minifig is available for the 3DS version, I'll still probably preorder it. But if it turns out it's only for the Wii U version, then rather than going with my original plan of preordering the Wii U version and just holding it until I actually get a Wii U, I might just buy the 3DS version and get the Chase McCain fig from next year's sets.

Eh, if the new police theme really is spun as some kind of night police, then what a cop-out! :laugh: Simply make the boxes darker and blam, a "new" take on the police theme...

Anyway, I like to think of the "museum" as simply the entrance or foyer, with the rest to be MOCed, it's how I explain away the small size in my head. Though it's nice to have a museum and burning house, hopefully it's the start of a trend.

Not being fire or vehicle oriented, I can't say much about the other sets. Wish more civilian (or hospital) sets were on the way. I think Joebot above is on to something.

Edited by Ardelon

Eh, if the new police theme really is spun as some kind of night police, then what a cop-out! :laugh:

Pun intended? :tongue:

Anyway, I personally think that design-wise, the nighttime setting is a great way to differentiate this year's sets on store shelves. It also makes a lot of the sets make more sense, particularly the museum heist, which would look a little ridiculous in broad daylight.

Edited by Lyichir