Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Early next year we should have a poll on which is the best Great Vehicle so far out of the 8 released. :wink:

I have the same feeling about the tanker too, all three are at the top of my buy more than one list......just don't tell the wife ! :rofl:

I love the tow truck, especially with the use of the mud guard for the front. :wub: It adds a little spice to the front that most city sets have and are boring and similar. The cement mixer is also a must have. The fuel tanker I will most likely pass on, as it is nothing special and I have the last version.

Can't wait for the cement mixer. I also like the stand-alone ladder. I'm interested in the new part that makes up some portion of the ladder. I agree with some other posters; there should be more variety of apparatus types. Also, Police themes have never really excited me.

The cement mixer and Octan tanker are definitely on my "must-have" list. I am a bit "meh" about the flatbed, but love the dark red car on the back.

The cement mixer and Octan tanker are definitely on my "must-have" list. I am a bit "meh" about the flatbed, but love the dark red car on the back.

100% agreement!

I am very excited about the fuel tanker, but that is because of my love for Octan. And the front is cool.

Interesting to see everyone's excitement about which three GV's they like......though the common factor is quite concrete eh ? :laugh:

I'm trying see what shape that fuel pump is.....perhaps a diesel one for trucks. :wink:

Oh dear, the Lego desgner has dropped a big clanger with the Octan tanker, as exhaust stacks behind the cab are forbbiden under regulations regarding the transportation of flammable liquids, the exhaust should be monted under the front bumper.

Ah well, a simple mod.

Oh dear, the Lego desgner has dropped a big clanger with the Octan tanker, as exhaust stacks behind the cab are forbbiden under regulations regarding the transportation of flammable liquids, the exhaust should be monted under the front bumper.

Ah well, a simple mod.

Or just delete them as who is going to look under the front bumper eh ? :laugh:

Why is it that Lego designers create things of wonder and yet include tiny mistakes......so called industrial designers, etc.,they need truck designers to design their trucks.....but Lego is Lego I guess and that's what MODing is for.....or better redesigning their wheel so to speak ! :laugh:

I just noticed the Octan tanker driver doesn't have the standard Octan torso......just the mechanic with two spanners in his pocket, (pity we weren't getting another female minifig....dam it :hmpf_bad:).

I'm disgusted that it doesn't have seat belts or brakes either. And the tyres are solid, real tyres are air filled.

But it doesn't have any engine, so those points are mute me thinks

This year looks like a massive investment ... on Bricklink

What a dissapointing year (so far), there's really nothing I want to buy!

The last 4-5 years TLG have put out a lot of neat sets and I guess I'll have to stock up on what I dont have

City looks very lazy, just rehashes of the last years output. Couldn't have taken a TLG designer more than one month to put that lot together .. sigh

All creativity seem to have gone into that Chima theme ...

And everything cool (buildings in particular) in the City is now (and have been for some time) labelled Creator

City is dead. Long live Fire, Police, Construction and Traffic :rofl:

City will always live on because of us ! :classic:

All the vehicles compared to those of fourteen years ago show that not all the creativity has gone to Chima.

Why so many fire sets you may ask......then ask yourself what you wanted to be when you were 8 or 9 ? (I wanted to be a fire fighter.....but I have a fear of heights ! :blush: )

By 'us' you mean MOCcers? But we moc because we can't buy :wink:

Fouteen years ago was a period where LEGO was not part of my life. But looking at BL it's quite easy to see why none of those sets command a high price on the secondhand market. They suck. Hard

But the 2013 City vehicles pales in creativity compared to City sets from the last five years and yes, Chima (and Ninjago too)

(And so does the 2013 Technics and SW sets as well)

I didn't ask why there are so many firefighter sets btw. I have become custom to expect that. I would however ask, why is there no FORREST fighter sets? That would be a good excuse to do a new firestation

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut. Who want's to see fire, destruction, death and so on? Not me, not any of my friends

Especially not when influenced by the most exellent space sets of that era (1978-89)! (And Starwars!!)

Lasers rule over a freakin firehose anyday :laugh:

That's your preference. There are plenty of kids who love the real world and Lego City/Town and want to be a fireman or policeman or truck driver. Same as there are kids who want to be a pirate or cowboy or armoured knight. Plus the market for fire station sets is there or Lego wouldn't make them. Though for all the future astronauts there is the new space theme supposedly coming in 2013. Lego tries to please as many people as they can.

Ah well, a simple mod.

Do the same regulation exist in all countries? If it is a US regulation, maybe it is just an European truck :)

(well it would seem logical to not have exhaust near the tank anyway...)

Edited by antp

The vehicles are nice, the flatbed truck and the Octan truck are nice. Alghout I prefer cars (muscle cars, hatchback, blah, blah, blah) over trucks, I will be looking for at least the flatbed truck.

By 'us' you mean MOCcers? But we moc because we can't buy :wink:

But the 2013 City vehicles pales in creativity compared to City sets from the last five years and yes, Chima (and Ninjago too)

I didn't ask why there are so many firefighter sets btw. I have become custom to expect that. I would however ask, why is there no FORREST fighter sets? That would be a good excuse to do a new firestation

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut. Who want's to see fire, destruction, death and so on? Not me, not any of my friends

Okay, so to go over these points.

Yes, those of us AFOL's who create buildings, vehicles and scenery.......and can't buy....well only if cash is tight or there isn't any thing I want to buy. :wink:

Compare trucks from 1997 to 2013 trucks......more detail, more realism, more playability.....so creativity is set to high. :classic:

I do agree....why didn't we get a forest fire station.....better idea than a forest police station......slide rule got stuck there Lego ! :rofl:

Kid's always play either cops and robbers or pretending to be fire fighters.....and I guess astronauts as well. Lego will always go with their best pitch, that's why we see police stations a lot....their best seller I believe. :wink:

Things I like about the 2013 sets: the inclusion of civilian minifigs (females!) in the Fire Chief Car and Flatbed Truck sets and that dalmatian in the Fire Station. :thumbup: The best set in this line-up for me is the Museum Break-in, primarily because it's the first time(?) a museum has been featured in a set - it's always welcome to see new ideas like this. The same can be said for the Fire Helicopter - the first time I've seen that 'base model' used, though I liked the Chinook Forest Helicopter of this year a bit better.

One thing I'm kinda disappointed about is the truck in the High Speed Chase set, I would've preferred to see the LEGO CIty Undercover version of the SWAT truck - it looks better IMO and the minifig (with the new hair piece) would've been sweet!

4-11.jpg

Well 'KDM' you could always MOC one of those SWAT jeeps ! :wink:

I will say the sets for 2013 are more realistic than 2012 ones except most of the great vehicles series. :wink:

Still wondering what that 14th City set is.....we have images for 13 plus we are missing 60009 aren't we ? :wink:

I do agree....why didn't we get a forest fire station.....better idea than a forest police station......slide rule got stuck there Lego ! :rofl:

Yeh TLG certainly dropped the ball on this one with not having a Forrest Fire Station IMO. They could have made the police one slightly smaller then had a fire station the same size as the police station or slightly bigger. But then again Im biased as I like the city fire them