Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

As long as they don't come along with easier building techniques then...

As far as I can tell the Creator Expert line is simply going to be applied to any of the D2C sets that would previously have been non-branded-- things like the Shuttle Expedition, Modular Buildings, Taj Mahal, and Emerald Knight. I'm quite glad for the change, as previously sites like Brickset had to categorize these sets somewhat haphazardly (for instance, for many years putting the Modular Buildings in the Town theme which has been defunct for going on one year now). Presumably sets that directly tie into current themes like the Haunted House will still have their current theme branding.

There's absolutely no reason to worry about the complexity of the sets decreasing. The LEGO Creator theme has never been known for simplicity-- in fact, one of the main purposes of the theme is to demonstrate the many unique things you can build with non-specialized bricks, which is something the Modular Buildings series exemplifies.

Plus, the designers who worked on the Modular Buildings were already on the LEGO Creator team, so the design team should continue to have the same level of understanding when it comes to what AFOLs are capable of building.

Okay, I'll be the first to say......I want each and every set ! :moar:

Best fire collection ever, and those police sets with their heavy tie in to the new City Undercover video game.....oh, man.....Chase McCain as an exclusive miniifig totally rocks !

Note the appearance of a new 2x4 part to make more realistic bonnets on vehicles ! :moar:

Though the museum pillars could have been better, but still an AWESOME set.

The only pity.....no Great Vehicles yet.....but hey to have all these detailed images.....who's up for some reverse engineering eh ? :rofl:

Did you notice the motor brick on the fire helicopter? Instead of a light brick its a motor to bring up the grapling hook!

Did you notice the motor brick on the fire helicopter? Instead of a light brick its a motor to bring up the grapling hook!

Well, did not see this one yet. This will offer a lot of possibilites for MOCs, I bet.

My opinion to the sets (as partially mentioned on flickr already):

The Fire Helicopter (60010) has a great cabin. I am not sure if we know it already. The motor brick is fantastic!

I think it is great that the Fire Boat (60005) includes another boat which is fairly well done.

The 60002 is a great Fire Vehicle. I like its design and the stuff in it. The small Fire Car is well done as well, but nothing special.

The new police guys are great. I like the vests. The vehicles are very nice as well. The museum is quite small but a bigger museum would have been too expensive. But maybe this is a hint for the next Modular Building? Some ideas could be used there.

The thing I love about the new sets, is that there are always play elements. Burning trash cans, a cat, burning house/boat, all the thieves. This really adds much to the sets.

It's nice to have another dog, but it's really disappointing that it is not a new mold.

Similar idea to the coast guard copter from 2008.

Doesn't look Sea-King-ish ? :classic:

I have to say, I am kind of disappointed. The only sets that interest me are the burn house and the blue suitcase. The museum heist has some MOC potential,but the rest seem like rehashes of old sets we've seen over and over again.The Fire Station feels like every other one produced over the last ten years. I really hope when we see the more detailed pictures my mind will be changed.

~LCM

The designs are great and the new uniforms are a smart move. But I'm just completely sick of Police and Firefighters.

Looks pretty good so far, especially the museum robbery. I'm still eagerly awaiting photos of the great vehicles (Especially the rollback tow truck) and the Palace Cinema.

Edited by BigRedGoat

The designs are great and the new uniforms are a smart move. But I'm just completely sick of Police and Firefighters.

Perfect said.

Looks pretty good so far, especially the museum robbery. I'm still eargerly awaiting photos of the great vehicles (Especially the rollback tow truck) and the Palace Cinema.

Yeah. The tow truck sounds pretty interesting. And I am curious how the Cement Mixer turns out.

Not sure about the fire sets, The minifigures are great and I love the fire chief but the actual sets are fairly bland.Even the burning building isn't up to much.

The police sets I love and even though the museum is really small I think it looks great. Cool vehicles and fantastic minifigures. The vest is different to Chase McCain's from the video game. Chase has a zip on the right breast whereas these have a radio. Still good though and a refreshing change to the usual black uniformed police. The criminals new torso is also cool.

I'm still drooling over the pictures. :wub_drool:

I like the new sets pictured so far. There is a lot of fire sets, but fire sells well for the main demographic of lego, the young boys. I do like the new fire station as the last one seemed to be a little spread out. This one seems to be a little more condensed which for my layout would work better. I do also like the buildings that are on fire, especially the abandoned house, I dont ever remember seeing anything like that and it is a good idea.

The museum is the set I am most excited about so far. it looks great, although the actual museum part seems a little small but that is easily expanded.

I have not been folowing all of the rumors so this is my first look at the new sets and the idea of those suitcase sets looks really cool, not neccesiarly for AFOLs but for someone like my sister that is 6. She enjoys building sets like the smart car, or some of the impulse friends sets, and this looks to be right about her level, I am also interested to see the actual size of the case and how much extra room there is for parts storage.

TLC really should just rename "Lego City" to "Lego Fire and Police" and be done with it. It used to be, you could count on those themes getting recycled every three years or so. Now, it's every freaking year. Sure, they're nicely designed sets, no doubt about it. But for anybody who's been in this hobby for any period of time ... they're just so, so repetitive.

Oh well, maybe the Friends theme will have some interesting new stuff for City fans.

I'm not into City but I'll get 60006 (smallest police one). Figs and whellbarrow are great. :wub:

Not sure about the fire sets, The minifigures are great and I love the fire chief but the actual sets are fairly bland. Even the burning building isn't up to much.

Exactly how I feel about the fire sets. They are still nice and I love the trucks and drk red helmets, but the buildings aren't quite up to par. I would have preferred no new fire station; using that set size as a new hospital and the 60002 [House Fire], close to the size/piece count of the current hospital... 4429 Helicopter Rescue is just too small, more of a medical center than full hospital.

As for the police sets, they are pretty good, IMO. I am wandering about the new color for the vehicles: white/dark blue? The Police van in 60008 Museum Break-in looks almost identical to 3661 Bank & Money Transfer's van... Is this going to be the new blue for Police, or is this just a small sub-subtheme? LEGO Police (graveyard shit)?

The best part, like Jargo, and many others have said, "fantastic minifigures"! :classic:

Meh, another year of buying basically no City Lego. I'm fed up to the back teeth of endless Police/Fire rehashes - and no, making Forest Patrol doesn't make it different. I was hopeful that we'd be seeing more actual town buildings, like garages, shops and so forth, not yet more emergency services!

Really regret missing out on the transportation sets to be honest, I wanted that tram :(

Wow! On the one hand, it's certainly true there really isn't any burning (heh) need for more Fire and Police sets, but on the other, these are quite nice ones. As long as they are going to constantly churn out sets of these two staple subthemes, it's great that they do continue to explore ideas about playability and narrative and so on. I love that they're giving the firefighters burning buildings, practice items, etc., as well as invoking some of the archetypal tropes of firefighters (having a dalmatian, rescuing kitties from trees, etc.).

It's nice to have another dog, but it's really disappointing that it is not a new mold.

That mold is still a fairly new mold, actually. It hasn't really been around that long...

I'm not entirely convinced that the german shepherd dog mould is the actual one we'll get. These pictures aren't final factory production samples. It'll be a shame if Lego do use that mould but it may be a stand in. It's not uncommon for things on the box to not match the actual contents.

It does seem as though LEGO City of late is inundated with firemen and policemen and not much else. Still they must have very good crime figures and be able to jump on the smallest fire the minute it even thinks of starting. I was kind of hoping for a bit of a change with some different themes next year. Maybe more hospital, even coastguard or perhaps some different shops. Surely that cannot be too hard to pull off?

Although it's mostly firemen and police, I like the museum very much and especially the legoversion of Girl With A Pearl Earring by Johannes Vermeer. :sweet:

It's probably a sticker, but I like it much more than the gold dish.

I have to say Chase Mcain's a pleasant suprise :wub:

I thought he was only available in the game.

The museum is dissapointing:

I was expecting something a bit larger, but no serious loss here.

The chase set is brilliant:

Both cars look really well designed, and the motorbike is a nice throw in.

None of the fire sets interest me, but maybe I'll get the bike so I can build the Robin Bike.