BrickG

What non-Lego building stuff are you willing to suffer?

99.9% of the time I'm 100% Lego. The other brands are cheaply made and almost always stupid.

I was tempted to buy the TMNT sets from megablocks just because of nostalgia and my love for the Ninja Turtles. I didn't give in.

Then I saw the Doctor Who Character Building characters. Ugly super deformed minifigures. Terribly ugly sets. One thing stood out though, the Dalek minifigures. They weren't deformed. I checked out the size comparison. They were almost right. Daleks being daleks there's multiple models of different heights. They're good for some but not the common Golden Shorties we usually see these day.

So I took a risk and bought them.

51rbhAA658L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They're pretty good. The size is good enough.

Yes, the plastic is a bit cheap but not the cheapest I've seen. It's a tiny bit tall for most modern daleks (with the scope going just over the face of the minifigures) but not really so tall that it's a factor. I wish it wasn't as plain.

But... I've been wanting to make Doctor Who custom minifigures. The Doctors, some companions.... I might start with these Dalek. I might give them a proper painting lego-minifigure style detailing the "Eggs" ;) and some other stuff. I might ATTEMPT to sand down/cut the bottom piece to be 1 plate tall instead of 2 (I might want them to be 1-2 shorter so the eye stalks are at face level).

Basically... I kind of like them. It's a first. And it's probably just because I'm in a Doctor Who mood and they work surprisingly well with Lego (unlike the other super deformed minifigures from Character Building).

8/10 for something not built by Lego. Usually those things get 0/10. I'm currently in the process of trying to find places to buy the other color of Daleks individually. I have 5 reds and now find myself wanting the white, yellow, orange, blue and gold ones (found white and blue on a few sites, the others... no luck... these things doing have good places to buy them like Lego).

Only non Lego product I can tollerate is Nanoblock. The super tiny bricks from Japan. I like to build with them as a desk toy if I do not have anything better to do.

I just have a few of the sets and think the quality is good for how small they are. Other than Nanoblock, I'm a 100% LEGO purist collector/builder.

I, too enjoy Nanoblocks as their smaller size provides more of a challenge and since they're Japanese, I know I can count on a quality product. Additionally I've begun to try out the Halo Mega Bloks. Another building medium I take part in is Gunpla, Japanese Gundam model kits.

Have to admit I love my 3 modern Playmobil dollhouses....they are just too cool with their lighting and furniture kits! And the high quality of mostly German parts.

Wish LEGO had something like these; I guess that is why they came out with Friends, which I really like playing with, too.

I like my Half Pipe and a few other skate park sets from Megabloks. While the sets themselves are of the poorer quality MB's from the late 90's and are a bit flimsy when it comes to moving the entire structure. They do look quite realistic, color and piece wise default_classic.gif

I've been living in China awhile and I've gotten a few of the local brand kits. Some of them are ok. The price is right. If you compare them to Lego it's pretty easy to see Lego's overall quality (not just the bricks but the designs, marketing, etc.). Personally, I don't care which company makes a set but it's just that no other company does it as well as Lego.

LEGO minifigures are also very deformed, so I don't understand the dislike of other "deformed" products lol

I love the useful pieces the other companies make. I still don't understand why every LEGO MOCer isn't praising the nifty pieces the other brands have given us that TLG doesn't seem interested in making. That line of thought always ends in irrationality and censoring so I'll move on lol.

Fun fact: I've accidentally cut myself with LEGO pieces just trying to pry them apart, a few times pretty badly because the edges are so sharp. I've never hurt myself on a clone brand :thumbup::classic:

Been trying to find the alternate Dalek colors. Hard as fudge to buy in the US (or alternatively stupidly expensive due to shipping).

I only have red. :(

LEGO minifigures are also very deformed, so I don't understand the dislike of other "deformed" products lol

They're not deformed because they're the standard setters. :)

I don't understand the clone-brick hate. :cry_sad: I just count them as bricks.I buy Knex sets,(The Mario ones.)MEGA bloks,Character Building(Like the blind packs but never bought a Dr.who set,I would like the Dalek one.)and even knock offs just to laugh at them(Trust I don't use THOSE. :sick: )

I don't understand the clone-brick hate. :cry_sad: I just count them as bricks.I buy Knex sets,(The Mario ones.)MEGA bloks,Character Building(Like the blind packs but never bought a Dr.who set,I would like the Dalek one.)and even knock offs just to laugh at them(Trust I don't use THOSE. :sick: )

It stems from quality for me.

I've owned several "off-brands". Megablocks mostly. My experience with them is them breaking a lot and not sticking together a lot. I mean, if I ever have kids I could give them my Legos. I can't give them the other things because they all broke. :P

I am mainly Lego. I am also a long time world of Warcraft player, and have been somewhat tempted by the Megabloks WoW sets, but so far have not succumbed. Just the minifigs seem so Blah! No charm, no character. Just badly done tiny action figures. The fact that only the big expensive set seems to have anything resembling a building or structure from the world... and then it's completely wrong! is also turning me off rather harshly.

we have just been given some Block Tech sets,

what are peoples thoughts on these?

the minifigs are the same hight but the yellow is a touch darker