Ondra

Lego technic challenge 2012

I am watching this subject closely, as I think I may submit a design. I would be surprised if LEGO will give any more design limitations than what has already been stated, other than a due date. Previous challenges have been as simple as "design a Unimog" or "design a 4x4." While I think it is important to acknowledge price considerations, I would be surprised if they give constraints to motors used, parts used, size, etc.

My understanding is that the Crawler is selling well, but I don't think LEGO will introduce another Crawler in 2013. The current crawler will still be for sale.

My guess is the competition is for a new body only. It would be quicker for a fan to create, quicker to judge, and quicker for LEGO to introduce to the market place.

What would be neat is for the bodies to have additional motors and functions. Maybe a dump truck with working dump bed, a snow plow with working plow, or a tow truck with working boom and hoist---all built on the crawler chassis. I doubt LEGO would go this route, but it sure would be interesting to see what people come up with! :D

Edited by dhc6twinotter

I think this might be my next project. I should start researching crawlers and try some preliminary chassis/suspension design, since I know much more about street cars than I do offroad trucks. I doubt I could compete with some of the work I've seen from others. But it looks like a fun project.

My guess is the competition is for a new body only. It would be quicker for a fan to create, quicker to judge, and quicker for LEGO to introduce to the market place.

I hope that the Technic "Challenge" is far more than this! Making JUST a body shell is no challenge at all. yawn_smiley.gifyawn.gif

Here is a poster on the Technic.Lego.com webpage:

download1618d94433c059d69c02429f5448f687.png

Edited by DLuders

Dluders, making a body shell could be a challenge, because this silly chassis gives much limitations. and the biggestg problem would be to make it not more top heavy, like it is currently.

How many kids would really want to buy a Lego Technic body shell set for their USD $200 9398 4x4 Crawler? It would be a lot less expensive to just go to the local RC Hobby Shop and buy a lightweight Lexan body shell for a lot less money than a Lego set:

hbxshell2.JPG

Since The Lego Group does not have any licenses with popular Monster Jam truck owners, kids could buy body shells of their favorite Monster Truck, like the ones in this K'NEX Monster Jam Truck Assortment:

knex-monster-trucks.pngMjlogo1.png250px-Mcgruff_%28truck%29.jpg

How many kids would really want to buy a Lego Technic body shell set for their USD $200 9398 4x4 Crawler?

iam not, but maybe tlg will sell the 9398 with the new body. this is the only possibility which makes sense if the contest really is a body shell contest

Just go to the local RC Hobby Shop

And rather buy nonlego new rc offroader with same price tag as this very bad lego crawler, than buy buy lexan and mounted to 9398.

Edited by Ondra

Who say the prize is a set that will be commercially available? Maybe they make official Technic box art and instructions but just for the winner...

Edited by merman

Maybe not for us, but for kids they are bored fast and put some other body from lego on it than they are hapy again. TLG wants something like this(i meane not mine disign but a empty shell like this put over the chassis and have a new car.

101_0138_1.jpg

It will a lot cheaper and they can sell loose body's from differend designs.

Edited by VFracingteam

Maybe not for us, but for kids they are bored fast and put some other body from lego on it than they are hapy again. TLG wants something like this(i meane not mine disign but a empty shell like this put over the chassis and have a new car.

It will a lot cheaper and they can sell loose body's from differend designs.

Interesting idea guys... and it'd increase sells of 9398 instead of introducing a competitive equal (or worse yet, a superior :oh3: )

Wasn't building a new body for the crawler the original challenge/contest that we heard about many months before the Crawler even was released?

I really hope the competition doesn't go in the design an alternative bodywork for the crawler direction. With that task the competition would purely be an exercise in aesthetics excluding technical functionality (which is technic's raison d'etre as far as I'm concerned!)

And also partially because I as yet don't own the crawler and because I already have a chassis in development :D

It could.

Not really!

Conchas, i could smell that you have informations about the contest. let them free, i know that you want tell us what you know. i guess it is not allowed for you, but please let them free. we will hug them like our own childs :sweet:

I bet conchas is just laughing cos he knows that i'm the only one with all the info.....whoops! :laugh:

Edited by allanp